Enyaq vs Tesla Model Y

garym999

Comming to the end of my buisness lease on my Kodiaq I want to move to and EV and have long been eyeing up the Enyaq so much so I've got all the lease costs in etc. and was about to push the button after a test drive. I was looking at a SportLine with heat pump and towbar and was told that the vehicle won't be ready to end of the year and that means I have to commit to another years lease. So that has set me looking again at the alternatives.

I'm a high miler, 30K PA. If I'm out driving the journeys are nearly always >100-200 in a day with occasional 300-500m round trips, so I need an EV that will do the distance

Space is another criteria, I regulary fill the floor of the boot but don't go over the height of the rear seats that often

Finally I tow a trailer tent a few times a year.

Budget wise I did want to go over £50K and as I say all points to the Enyaq even though its boot is smaller than the Kodiaq. Then a clinet of mine said why not check out the Y. I had already ruled out Tesla on cost but I took a test drive and was quite surprised. Quick, very! but doing the mile I do I have to be light with the right foot. It was the space, huge Frunk, huge cubby under the boot floor and a reasonable size boot with a flat floor that gets emense with the rear seats down. One hinderence is the tailgate that cuts a lot of space off the top above the seats but I dont load that high that often so should be able to live with that. The view out of the rear window is applauling. I'm not a huge fan of nearly everything being touch controlled but many cars are going that way I think I just have to get used to that. I think the overall styling is a little bland. In addition to the regular charging network there is Teslas supercharger network.

The fly in the ointment is the cost, well that's what I thought but under a buiness lease there is not much of a difference between the two and there is a lot more tech as standard on the Y.

Any thoughts?

Tesla Charging is 33 pence a kWh and Superchargers are great depending on which of the 4 countries of the UK you might be driving about in and which areas or routes you drive.

They are not much use if you need to be going out of your way to get to ones. 

Many with a Tesla opt not to use them if they have cheaper options.   

However doing 30,000 miles a year and even if charging at home or work before setting off on 300-500 mile trips you will be needing to get proper quick charging someplace and that is going to be at anything from 33-50 plus pence a kWh unless you have a good Subscription or Discounts that different manufacturers have with EV Charging providers.   Even the full  cost at an Ionity of 69 pence a kWh might be cheap enough for those just wanting charged and to get a move on.

Edited by roottoot

Thanks for the vids quite a good round up here too…

There's definately quite a bit not to like about the Tesla, it’s missing finesse in some areas

Edited by john999boy
Adjusted hyperlinks.

I’m doing 20k per year in an Enyaq 60, I rarely go further than 100 miles radius away from home so it’s working for me. I personally haven’t had any major issues finding and using rapid chargers, to be honest I have stuck mainly with InstaVolt for reliability and decent network. 

If you are doing reasonably regular long hauls I would be tempted with Tesla for the supercharger network, and fast charging even if there’s a few details you don’t like, in 3 years time there should be a lot wider range of other EVs to choose from and hopefully a better network. By then you’ll know what you’re doing with EVs and saved 90,000 miles of diesel smoke out of a tailpipe.

Edited by classic

Instavolt are very good but the cost to charge is rising to 50 pence a kWh and this is on 50 kWh chargers.

https://instavolt.co.uk/instavolt-pricing-statement

So if getting 4 miles to the kWh that is £5 for 40 miles travel.  (10 kWh)    50 kWh = £25 for 200 miles travel. 

If only getting 3.1 miles per kWh then 31 miles for £5.

winter and loaded and 2.7 miles per kWh then that is simple 27 miles for £5 worth of a charge. 

Enyaq examples from a recent vids 'testing' with odd things like passengers and a car steamed up to the point of stupidity. 

image.png.7406da1f3dc5b55b3bcfbcd0d8885ac1.png

UK-public-EV-charging-networks-732b21d5.png

Edited by roottoot

16 hours ago, Dodgy said:

The charging network, if you could put a value on it, would be worth £10K. Things will change eventually, but right now the UK charging infra is in its infancy - unless you have a Tesla.

I think there was some confusion generated by my post. I'm not saying that you will save £10K by buying a Tesla, I'm suggesting that some buyers would attach a value to something like a dedicated (to the brand) charging network that is rarely offline, reliable, fast and almost always has space for another Tesla to park up and charge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, garym999 said:

John999boy what did you do, or what do I need to do to link the videos properly? Using an iPad if that makes a difference.

@garym999 I'm not 100% sure with the iPad as I prefer to do these things on a PC but essentially there should be an option to either have it embedded or insert it as a link.

Here's one of @classic's that I've just adjusted.

1288840949_Notalink.JPG.17a4b209556054ed5c7afa6705ee504d.JPG

• Like 1

So the trustee steed for the last three years is making way to a Tesla model Y. I can tell you now no one is more surpised than I am with this desision.

I have already seen enough to know that I'm about to embark on a Marmite journey, wether that is technology which I love (or will that be love to hate), design & looks that I dont.

Why the jump...

• SuperCharger network: Reliability, Chargers and the cars. Backed up, if required by the non Tesla network
  • Size: As large as an Enyaq, only fly in the ointmnet is the sweeping tailgate, but I dont load high or carry dogs etc.
  • Toys: Well equipped although granted probably not well executed
  • Lease costs: Very simalar pricing to an Enyaq Sportline, not sure why as it is more expensive to buy, points to the Tesla having better residules I guess
  • Vehicle availability.

Cons...

Not sure what these will be yet but I have seen some...

• Rear tailgate visability
  • No secondary dash (speedo), although as many have pointed there are loads of cars without this, Mini, various Citroens etc.
  • Looks
  • Technology for technolgies sake (goes for most cars now). Why do I need an electric glove box, fold down seats, fuel hatch etc.
  • Lack of Buttons (goes for most cars now). Nothing like tactile feedback. The amount of times I have seen a touchscreen beep or flash to acknowledge a press and then not react to it.

I just hope I'm not going to regret it. At least I will have a years mores EV experience that I would waiting for the Enyaq to arrive.

Edited by garym999
  • Like 1

Enjoy. I think overall you won’t regret it. Once you get your head around the ev experience, which with supercharger network will be fine, the whole thing is reasonably effortless.
I personally wouldn’t go back.

Yes agreed that the time is right for me regarding the EV jump. Is the biggest single thing I can do for the planet. Certainly don’t want to commit to another 3 years of burning stuff we can’t get back. The rising fuel prices are also making it more attractive every day.

My struggle has been finding the right combination of size, range and price. Comming from the Kodiaq most EVs are smaller. The Enyak was almost the winner but the MY snuck in at the last minute

55 minutes ago, garym999 said:

Yes agreed that the time is right for me regarding the EV jump. Is the biggest single thing I can do for the planet. Certainly don’t want to commit to another 3 years of burning stuff we can’t get back. The rising fuel prices are also making it more attractive every day.

My struggle has been finding the right combination of size, range and price. Comming from the Kodiaq most EVs are smaller. The Enyak was almost the winner but the MY snuck in at the last minute

Absolutely, and whatever anyone says about the cost of rapid chargers, they are on a par with fossil fuels cost wise and 20% of it is actually VAT.

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

Yep I reckon. It’s 30000 miles less localised pollution. Sure there is some at the power station but that it’s partially offset by renewables. As a company car driver it’s one more ICE that will become available in three years making them more accessible.

I ordered just a couple of days ago and already have an estimated delivery date for May-June. Not bad in the middle of a chip shortage and the likes of the mini plant closing temporarily. But I guess that’s what happens when you are manufacturing at source (China).

• Like 1

One thing though as the initial post included the need for a towbar? I have heard that towing a large caravan can more than halve the expected range?

The other point is that no chargers I have seen to date would allow a car with a trailer still attached to park at it whilst charging. Trailer would have to be detached and parked elsewhere first.

This was suggested to be the start of the demise of touring with a caravan. No such issues refuelling a normal car with a trailer attached! Not been thought through I think!

There are charging places around where an EV towing can get a charge and they will become more common as EV vans might well be towing.   Like the charging hub in East Lothian.     Then there are chargers with fixed cables not long enough to get to a rear charger port if you have a bike rack fitted and you reverse into the charger.  So those are 50kWh plus chargers you want to use. 

7 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

This was suggested to be the start of the demise of touring with a caravan. No such issues refuelling a normal car with a trailer attached! Not been thought through I think!

I don't think it would be a problem in the newer multi charging places such as Braintree.

• Like 1

It just needs addressed for tourers who are traveling to tourist areas with caravans, boats etc.  Lakes,peaks, Highlands and lowland areas away from motorway type services.     Not that less caravans being towed will be something many drivers are worried about in those areas.  

Does it take that long to detach a trailer to charge that people stop touring with them because of it?

I’d be more worried about getting around and finding chargers where you need them than chargers suited for caravans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1