Enyaq vs Tesla Model Y

garym999

@SkodaNor   Maybe every 2- 3 hours or so while off on a weekend / holiday in your EV towing, a caravan, boat, horse box, car transporter etc. 

It is a plaster.

As with anything about travelling with a caravan and people wanting to make it theirs,

usually other caravan dwellers of no fixed address.

So family in your car or just you or you and partner in car,

find the place to unhitch,

get a family member to stand guarding to stop a Van Man hitching up and stealing it, or put the lock on the hitch.

Maybe the legs down.

Then charge the car, back to the van and hitch up, check the lights and off you go.   

Maybe the passengers can make a meal. boil the kettle while the charging was going on.

This one @ Wallyford near Edinburgh is pretty good, lighting and space and 150 kW chargers, long cables.

No toilets but then not an issue if you have a caravan with a toilet.

(Those that might try to steal your van do not use toilets in their vans.)

A big newish hub.  Not so handy. 

The one original charger out of all these slow / fast & 4 Quick chargers is the only one suitable if staying hitched.

Main route South / North up Scotland to Perth.

Pity that out of 4 Quick Chsargers it is common to get only 1 or 2 working.

Whoever designed it and who designed it off should be kicked up the jacksy.

Total crap set up. 

Especially when 'Travellers' moved in and took it over living in their caravans and stopping the public get charged.

If lucky and you can drive behind the 3 new 50kW chargers where you are not supposed to you can charge while still hitched up.

Otherwise you need the luck of the original charger working, or unhitch.

Edited by roottoot

The tow bar is an option that gets added after the car arrives. You just go online to their shop and purchase. It is for biking and towing a large trailer tent again carrying the bikes. I know this is going to hammer the range but it does with ICE too. 

It’s definitely going to make for an interesting camping summer holiday in France that has now been put off two times because of COVID. Fortunately the trailer tent is relatively easy to unhitch and move around. The main worry is security 

one advantage is that there probably won’t be much need for pre-conditioning the battery as it will be working harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

As with anything about travelling with a caravan and people wanting to make it theirs,

usually other caravan dwellers of no fixed address.

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

No toilets but then not an issue if you have a caravan with a toilet.

(Those that might try to steal your van do not use toilets in their vans.)

The vans made for that market never have toilets.

I found them even more entertaining, 😂

I used to watch Stavros’s truck reviews then he bought an Honda E with a 28kw battery and started complaining it didn’t go very far…..

• 4 weeks later...

I would go for Enyaq.

Enyaq is smoother, while Y is harder to drive. In Y you feel every bump in the road.

Someone mention TeslaBjørn, and he agrees: 

The seats in Enyaq is way more comfy than in Y.

In my oppinion there is a big downside i Y. You have to use the big screen for everything.  Just to open the clovecompartment you have to use the screen twise.

It is not very convinient to have it all on the big screen.

In my opinion Enyaq also looks more like a car than Y.

It is very important than anyone picking up any demonstrator or media car for roadtesting goes and checks the tyre pressures to see they are safe and not overinflated.  Sadly vloggers / bloggers and even car dealers like the British one that sells Tesla EV,s and others comment on the ride without even knowing what the tyre pressures are at.   Too many EV,s and ICE vehicles are handed over with overinflated tyres.   That is careless / incompetent  or just trying to have the car getting more range.    Tesla handing over new Y,s with the pressure at a 'in transit' pressure on green tyres is inexcusable.     PS.  EV,s need to stop looking like traditional cars and get more and more efficient getting their weight along roads.  Traditional looks and grills and bling for the sake of it needs changing and less use of energy to build and run what are pretty heavy vehicles is what needs changing.   Then testers on their own in 5,6,7 seat EV,s commenting on the ride need to consider what will the car handles like fully loaded not as most people use SUV,s,. Under occupied / not near revenue weight.

7 1/2 hours of Thomas.   

Edited by roottoot

As I mentioned before I know this is going to be a marmite car, loads to love and loads to hate. I have driven both an did not find the MY that harsh. The right foot will need taming cos the car is quick, all very well but no good for the economy. However very welcome over the Kodiaq who’s throttle response is so laggy.

I agree about the huge touch screen but it seems the way of things even in the Enyaq. The worst of it is not having the tactile feedback, I don’t mean click but the ability to realise that you have placed you finger in the correct place. I remember a really old Panasonic car stereo that had multifunction touch buttons but they were surrounded by finger guards so you knew without looking that you were in the right spot.

Opening the glovebox via the screen seems mad but you can also use your voice. Again other cars seem to suffer from this, electric release rear seats, sounds great but is impractical as you inevitably end up having to back to the seats to clear the clutter so they can fold properly. The point for me is all these gimmicks add complexity and weight, motors, solenoids, switches, cable etc.

At least there seems to be regular OTA updates.

On 21/03/2022 at 10:02, roottoot said:

EV,s need to stop looking like traditional cars

Why? If people like a traditional looks, why should they not get a car like that?

On 21/03/2022 at 10:02, roottoot said:

Traditional looks and grills and bling for the sake of it needs changing

Why? Who desides this?

• Haha 1

@EspenSolgaard

You or i or whoever decide what you like and others who are maybe young and not hung up on how cars have been for decades can decide what they like the look of.

If people like traditional looks and stylee over function they can fill their boots. 

As to EV's that are actually green and saving the planets resources then eventually things need to change because big fat vehicles that are not that efficient is ridiculous. 

If you used the quote as it is posted and not just part of the sentences you will see it was about 'efficiency, weight and getting the vehicles along the road. 

Edited by roottoot

41 minutes ago, EspenSolgaard said:

Why? If people like a traditional looks, why should they not get a car like that?

Why? Who desides this?

We do. I for one ruled out the Enyaq because of the skeuomorphic grill. But since then I've gone cold of the idea of a 'nice' car anyway, I now own a runaround and rent a car for long journeys (like in July this year). 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dodgy said:

We do. I for one ruled out the Enyaq because of the skeuomorphic grill. But since then I've gone cold of the idea of a 'nice' car anyway, I now own a runaround and rent a car for long journeys (like in July this year). 

despite the cost of a hire car it’s far less than monthly’s for a new nice car.

i don’t care tp for the looks that much. I do care that Ev’s are overpriced, all that r&d they need to get back, put the onus on ice too.

I’ve ruled out larger ev’s now. Instead thinking about the stupidity of a carpeted van for weekends and a Zoe like ev for everything else. Swmbo lease car expires next year, possibly for good 😢. Shame as it’s a 1/7th deal. Bigger trips, enterprise car hire around the corner two weeks for one big ev monthly.

just got to get past the no car outside to just use… consumerism got a good grip of us eh 🤣

Edited by ColinD

2 hours ago, ColinD said:

despite the cost of a hire car it’s far less than monthly’s for a new nice car.

Totally, we're renting a Kodiaq, 4 of us going to the French Alps in July in it. And because it's a hire car, the other 2 people are duty bound to contribute which wouldn't be the case if it was 'my' car 😇 There's a lot to be said for having a cheap runabout now I don't need one for work, obviously this is different for you lot on BIK / company car deals and whatnot.

On car design EVs represent a chance to change the rule book with regard to packaging however safety and aero software throws out very similar designs. It would be nice to see something different, certainly no need for the driver to be behind the bonnet.

What does worry me is the software aspect. There are countless things that happen even on the Kodiaq. None of it has been safety critical apart from the combined throttle lag/DSG/Halidex issues that have led me to misjudge junctions occasionally even after three years of ownership.

The MY is at least getting regular updates but as far as I can tell but is needed due the added complexity of what Tesla’s are trying to deliver.

Nope but the £100 deposit was put down on the 22nd Feb and estimated delivery date is 9th - 29th May. I’m yet to get the VIN once this is allocated it’s basically on a ship from China. 

There is a factory in the States that had the reputation of poor fit and finish. Then one in China which is much better and finally Giga Berlin that is just coming online,

There are very few options and hence it makes it very easy to get high volume production. Two models long range & performance (not yet released). Options are paint, wheels (2 sizes) and self driving/auto pilot (this is not ready yet waiting for the SW to be written).

I went for the long range, white paint and standard wheels. This pretty much equates to a fully loaded Enyaq Sportsline AWD.

Tesla then ship them in bulk and drop them off to huge sites around the UK where you choose  one and then have to travel and collect them. Everything is different to the standard dealership models. Wether it’s better or not is yet to be seen

Thanks for the info, I personally couldn't have a white one so would go for the blue but not a lot else.

So even after you 'spec' one you still get the choice of a few when you get there? Not sure I could cope with that! I'd want them to give me one or I'd be looking over them for hours and/or regret my choice afterwards!

• Administrators

I actually think its how dealerships will become. 

There will be super centres where all models and lots of options will be there to go and kick…. You’ll go home and order. 

Then the ‘smaller’ garages in each town will become service centres. 

That’s my view anyway, because how can a 10million Volvo garage be justified when another n million one is 20mins drive away in the next town/city. I’ve driven up to a couple of hours to see a spec/model. That puts a lot of garages in between that I skipped, lots of staff to fund, on the off chance someone pops in to buy. Sure it’s generational things too. Renault Zoe is a good example, few options, but good enough not to worry about pack a with pack b while you have to deselect pack c and oh crap thats 500 more than if I pick pack d without pack b, I only wanted a mug holder.

So I think it’s a perfectly good and seemingly profitable model. After all, it’s a once in three years event, mostly. With all the charging network woes, I am thinking a tesla makes sense, given it can slurp of non tesla points too. There ain’t many in the wilds of Wales/Scotland etc

• Like 1

TESLA UK will have to do a bit better than they appear to have with cars PDI's before new owners pick up cars.

It is not clever or sensible that drivers will drive away in a brand new car with brand new tyres with them over inflated as they might have come from the factory or off being strapped down on a car transporter.   As a Corporation they need to be aware of corporate responsibility to their customers and other road or pavement users.

Technicians / Fitters and managers are rather lax with things like safety.

I may have been lucky but my years with the Skoda have been pretty much trouble free and the dealer has been excellent! (there said it). The one time it did have a fault (glow plug relay) they diagnosed the fault, ordered the part, serviced the car all while I waited. They even rang me yesterday to see if I had any problems after the yellow warning light had come on due to low oil. In all the years of car ownership they have been the best at the other end of the scale is Ford.

As for the Tesla model I have read many of the horrors. It does seem they want to ship it out first and fix later. Some of that might be because they are relativley young company working out what infrastrure they need/works in each country. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1