Locking wheel bolt key missing

GladysFriday

During a short break away last week I had a low tyre pressure warning which caused me to use the top-up pump in the boot to check the pressures. In so doing I noticed that the locking wheel bolt key was missing. On further inspection it transpires that the front right wheel has the bolt caps missing as well. The last time that wheel was touched was when a new tyre was fitted last December so I'm coming to think that when the tyre was replaced, not only was the key not replaced but also neither were the caps.

I'll contact the tyre depot in the morning but I'm not expecting much luck given the delay. In the meantime, anybody got a good tip regarding where I can obtain a replacement key apart form Skoda - who will probaly charge way over the top!

• Like 1

Yes go on eBay. Take a picture of your bolt close up then mirror image it. Compare the image to the numerous keys available on eBay from broken cars. You will almost certainly spot the right one as there are not that many actually used. All VW group use the same patterns as far a I know.

I did this when I drove off in my Yeti with the key still on a wheel bolt and hence lost it. Found a replacement on eBay for far less than Skoda would have charged

Makes it a bit of a false "secure feeling" really. Any thief worth his salt would most likely have each of the few ones that are available.  I guess it still stops the casual thief though (maybe). 

1 hour ago, smipx said:

Makes it a bit of a false "secure feeling" really. Any thief worth his salt would most likely have each of the few ones that are available.  I guess it still stops the casual thief though (maybe). 

Don't get alloy wheels stolen very often any more.

I have removed them from both of my Skoda's and just fitted normal wheel bolts and normal caps.

Lockers are made by Mcgard:- https://mcgard.com/automotive/wheel-locks/

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

But there favorite place is the tray beside the tyre demounting rig where you will find a vast selection of locking wheel adaptors, centre caps & bolt caps.

In fact it you go into any tyre place you will find several and might get lucky and find one that fits your wheel bolts, there are not that many combinations, otherwise take a photo of the wheel bolt internal pattern & look on t'internet to find which part number corresponds and then search on Ebay or go to a dealer and get reamed.

Look at the wheel nut on car. Then COUNT THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON THE LOCKNUT. Next ,head over to Ebay and search for that number of splines.

45 minutes ago, VWD said:

Look at the wheel nut on car. Then COUNT THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON THE LOCKNUT. Next ,head over to Ebay and search for that number of splines.

That is on the old type of locking wheel bolts.

Some of these also have a hole in the centre of the key.

The newer type are described as a flower pattern type, something like this:-

Replacement Security Master Anti theft Locking Wheel Nut Key 521 or A for VW/Volkswagen

Thanks, AG Falco

15 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Don't get alloy wheels stolen very often any more.

I have removed them from both of my Skoda's and just fitted normal wheel bolts and normal caps.

Lockers are made by Mcgard:- https://mcgard.com/automotive/wheel-locks/

Thanks, AG Falco

You have a point as removing a locking wheel nut without a key is a 5 minute job. Many tools available to do the job on line. As  with most  locks it just deters honest people!

My dealer told me that they have a large tray with all the permutations of locking key.

'cos they couldn't find my key in the boot well and didn't phone me to ask where it was.

I keep it in the centre glovebox along with the bolt cap tweezers so I don't need to empty the boot when changing wheels at home.

Remember that some other car makers used these as well, I think that the last one that I bought via ebay was listed as for Vauxhall.

Once you have sorted this out, record the actual code of the security bolt/adaptor, the code is stamped on the inner end of the bolt and on the adaptor. Strange thing is, both our cars have the same code, but for different series of security bolts!

I just used "VW locking wheel bolt keys" - or similar as a search phrase, and got quite a few hits.

Edit:- remember to give the VW Transporter ones with a 19mm hex head, you need one that has a 17mm hex head as do all VW Group cars.

Edited by rum4mo

On 27/02/2022 at 21:33, AGFalco said:

Replacement Security Master Anti theft Locking Wheel Nut Key 521 or A for VW/Volkswagen

Thanks, AG Falco

On 27/02/2022 at 21:33, AGFalco said:

Thanks, AG Falco

AG- I replied in good faith as from my experience of an OLD car.

• Thanks 1

I got an additional locking wheel bolt key for both my Superb and my son's mkIII Octavia from an ebay seller quoting the letter printed on the top. The same company can also identify if you send a photo of the wheel bolt head.

[EDIT] Company was called Boltenvy https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/boltenvy

Edited by bigjohn

john, on MK1 fabia the lock key is spline coded. Possibly same on other models. It's an odd number of splines. Thing to remember is that lock key can be difficult to remove with wheel stsationary, but dead easy once wheel moves, never for lock key to be seen.