Gearbox in emergency mode - no reverse gear

13 hours ago, TonyArnold said:

If you’re lucky. I’ve been waiting for a new mechatronic since late April - my Kodiaq has been sitting at the service yard the entire time. Skoda won’t provide any ETA, living up to the terrible VAG service reputation. 

Just called the dealer... parts in transit, no idea of ETA (which knowing what the supply chain is like I am not surprised).  Have been told 100% of parts & 70% of labour are covered.  Just a waiting game now.

• Like 1

Just now, vRSNZ said:

Have been told 100% of parts & 70% of labour are covered.  Just a waiting game now.

That's a pretty decent outcome. Congratulations!

You got more info than I did here in Australia about the status - last I'd heard, the parts hadn't even been manufactured. Thanks for sharing what you've heard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2022 at 11:01, TonyArnold said:

That's a pretty decent outcome. Congratulations!

You got more info than I did here in Australia about the status - last I'd heard, the parts hadn't even been manufactured. Thanks for sharing what you've heard.

Another call today... parts due 15th July...

& I need to take the loan Scala back as they're 'upgrading' me.

• Like 1

You have a solid date?! 😃 I was told "the end of the month […] that date is pretty fluid as we both know so it may change" when I asked last week. Hopefully that means that mine will be showing up at a similar time. 

On 12/07/2022 at 17:09, Yogi-Bear said:

To a Citigo? 🤣

My money is on the dealer bolting some chair casters to the bottom of the mechatronic unit and sending him on his way 😂

On 15/07/2022 at 16:49, TonyArnold said:

Did they get the parts in? It was the mechatronic ECU, right?

No idea... should probably check.  Yes, was mechatronic ECU.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2022 at 09:43, vRSNZ said:

No idea... should probably check.  Yes, was mechatronic ECU.

Parts all arrived late last week / early this week (of course not at the same time).  Repair is underway but the workshop it moving so should hopefully get the car back next week... I'm guessing late next week as also needs a service, a Warrant of Fitness & 4 tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

@vRSNZ did you find out whether it was a brand new or a remanufactured mechatronic unit that they used to repair your car?

I'm getting ready to engage the competition and consumer commission here in Australia, because it's 14 weeks since mine was towed to the dealer, and they still don't have an ETA on my car's mechatronic unit. 

3 minutes ago, TonyArnold said:

@vRSNZ did you find out whether it was a brand new or a remanufactured mechatronic unit that they used to repair your car?

I'm getting ready to engage the competition and consumer commission here in Australia, because it's 14 weeks since mine was towed to the dealer, and they still don't have an ETA on my car's mechatronic unit. 

Hey Tony, haven't found out as yet as haven't chased.  Once I do I will let you know though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Swotting up on mechatronics unit failures led me here, my Kodi suffered a failure earlier this week. Warranty is authorised but reading other threads, and then quizzing the dealer, I’m horrified (though not entirely surprised!) that lead times can be 10weeks+. 

Whilst the fault is intermittent, and as the car is still ‘driveable’, even when it does occur, I’d be interested on anyones views as to whether it’s safe to do so and whether there’s any damage being done elsewhere?

Edited by Ranger

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

[…] whether it’s safe to do so and whether there’s any damage being done elsewhere?

What does your dealer say? I'd avoid doing anything that might interfere or cancel that warranty repair. Gearboxes are expensive to replace if it's you on the hook for it.

On 13/10/2022 at 22:52, TonyArnold said:

What does your dealer say? I'd avoid doing anything that might interfere or cancel that warranty repair. Gearboxes are expensive to replace if it's you on the hook for it.

The dealer has said it’s perfectly in order to drive it, it’s had a software update which might help it stop dropping into emergency mode (it hasn’t) and there’s a new unit on order but awaiting confirmation of delivery, anywhere between four and twelve weeks.

My concern is whether it’s doing damage elsewhere in the gearbox, it’s certainly noisier than it was and it’s holding gears longer before changing up, which is hammering the fuel consumption, average of 43-45 is now sub-40mpg.

When it drops into emergency mode, there’s a momentary loss of drive which is unnerving if it happens when accelerating, particularly overtaking!

Awaiting a further conversation with the dealer on Monday which might confirm a delivery date for the parts.

@Ranger 

Not safe. maybe the Dealer Principal can drive your car for a few weeks and you can get the one they are driving which will be sold as an Ex Management cars.

They will no doubt feel safe taking their loved ones out in your car.

?

Was that the top man or woman as in the Dealer Principal, or was it a Service Desk person that are not Mechanical Engineers or was that the Master Tech that spoke to you.

If they say it is OK to drive then if it breaks you have the Warranty, but then any verbals from them are not worth the paper it was not written down on. 

Best get onto Skoda Assist and get a Courtesy Car arranged, or have the Dealerships Top Person put in writing what you have been told. 

6 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Ranger 

Best get onto Skoda Assist and get a Courtesy Car arranged, or have the Dealerships Top Person put in writing what you have been told. 

Completely agree that verbal isn't worth the paper it's written on - personally I'd be emailing them along the lines of  " After our discussion today re: DSG problem, can you confirm my car is OK to drive? " and ask they reply to the email rather than give verbal assurance.

Skoda assist is a breakdown recovery service, not a car rental agency, you don't call them to arrange courtesy cars. Alternative transport may be provided only if they deem your car is unable to be driven. Even if they do say that, they'll recover it back to the dealership, but if the dealership then say that it can be driven...  They're not going to pay for a car under those circumstances.

In any case you'd need a sympathtic patrolman because by the letter of the book, if they get wind that the car has already been to the dealer with this same fault, they're perfectly within they're right to say its not their responsibility to provide a car. ( see T&C about recovering a car twice with the same fault ).

• Like 2

Great advice.  It will be interesting who it is assessing that loss of drive can be safe.   VW group did claim when the dq200 world wide recall was only some time much later only a service campaign in Europe that you could roll safely to the roadside.  Obviously in an outside lane you might well not be able to.  

Edited by roottoot

6 hours ago, roottoot said:

Great advice.  It will be interesting who it is assessing that loss of drive can be safe.   VW group did claim when the dq200 world wide recall was only some time much later only a service campaign in Europe that you could roll safely to the roadside.  Obviously in an outside lane you might well not be able to.  

That manoeuvre would certainly be 'interesting' from lane 4 on the M25. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having suffered the issue on my MKIII Superb I can tell you it is NOT safe.

Disappointing that VW/Skoda do not admit to there being a problem with a number of mechatronic units.

I forgot to update the thread but they had my car for just over a month waiting on parts and the warranty to fund the repair.

But since the mechatronic unit replaced and fluid leak resolved I have done a fair amount of motorway miles without the issue returning.

My main gripe is why the original dealer did not go with the fault code provided by AA in the first place.

The second dealer said it is because its a generic code and they have to dig deeper when it is in a faulted state.

I hope you are all able to have your gear boxes sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2022 at 18:28, Ranger said:

The dealer has said it’s perfectly in order to drive it, it’s had a software update which might help it stop dropping into emergency mode (it hasn’t) and there’s a new unit on order but awaiting confirmation of delivery, anywhere between four and twelve weeks.

My concern is whether it’s doing damage elsewhere in the gearbox, it’s certainly noisier than it was and it’s holding gears longer before changing up, which is hammering the fuel consumption, average of 43-45 is now sub-40mpg.

When it drops into emergency mode, there’s a momentary loss of drive which is unnerving if it happens when accelerating, particularly overtaking!

Awaiting a further conversation with the dealer on Monday which might confirm a delivery date for the parts.

Should have concluded this posting, the car was repaired on Nov 11th, unit was replaced and DSG service carried out at the same time. Since then its driven like a new car with much slicker changes and quieter, which might suggest that there had been a problem looming for a while but I'd just not noticed it.

Not quite the end of the story, the fan motor failed at New Year and with the earliest diagnostic appointment I could get being over a month away, I called the roadside assistance in the hope it might be something simple but it wasn't and he referred it the dealer! After some "discussion", an appointment was found later that week which confirmed the roadside diagnosis and a new fan motor was ordered (2 weeks) and the car booked in (5 weeks!). With a car that's pretty much useless with no demisters in a wet Jan, I've now decided that this is the final nail and after 21 years continuous VW/ Audi/ Skoda ownership in the family, I'm off to find something with better aftercare service, anyone got any suggestions?!

51 minutes ago, Ranger said:

I'm off to find something with better aftercare service, anyone got any suggestions?!

A different dealer... trying to find something better than a Kodiaq is a pointless exercise 😉.

On 12/01/2023 at 18:51, Yogi-Bear said:

A different dealer... trying to find something better than a Kodiaq is a pointless exercise 😉.

I fear that is absolutely correct, though reliability of this one isn’t its strong point, the car is great and I do love it but the dealer support is the opposite, it can’t be any worse!

Having had engagement with four Skoda dealers on various matters with this car, the conclusion is they rank as worse, worse, worse and worst!