2015 Scout - Odd bearing noise

Evening everyone. I'm a long time lurker of these forums and they've been great in finding common issues on my previous Octavia vRS and a Fabia Scout. I now have a 2015 Scout and am having trouble finding info on a problem that's been developing for some time.

Mine is a 2.0 diesel 150bhp, manual. It's got 98,000 very well maintained miles on the clock. Several months ago, a bearing noise started at the rear of the car. I changed from my summer tyres to winter tyres and it stayed the same. I ended up replacing both wheel bearings but haven't made a difference. I'm now in the territory of a propshaft bearing or rear differential. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is a relatively common problem. More recently, the noise has changed where it's very noticable while decelerating while off throttle in gear. The noise almost completely disappears when accelerating. I think I found one post on these forums with a simiar issue, but it was a case of 'the dealer fixed it'. I'm very handy with a set of spanners, so I prefer to fix myself.

Propshaft bearing would be relatively easy, but my fear is the rear diff is failing. I did change the haldex oil in the hope it would help. I realised during that job that the diff oil is actually separate to the haldex unit. I haven't tried that, but my bet is that it's too late for an oil change. 😥

I had a poke around on ebay for rear diffs, and they're few and far between. It would be great of any of you know how similar the diffs are across the range (ratios and component revisions) so I can widen my options. Has anyone stripped a diff to change the bearings? They seem pretty conventional from youtube videos.

Cheers!

Hi,

Just reading your thread and noticed you have changed the rear bearings and I'm  looking for some advice.

I have a noise from the rear of my 4*4 2015 Octavia estate also - think it's the rear left bearing - have you any advice or tips for changing them as the 4*4 are more complicated than standard and I don't see any YouTube videos on them.

Thanks

Hi Huw,

I've got the same car as you but a 2016 model with slightly less miles. I to have a noise which has come one recently which disappears under load but is a bit of a whine that sounds like tyres when on a concrete road.

I'd also noticed another noise which was a slight clunk when engaging the clutch from a standstill that defiantly sounded like the drivetrain taking up slack.

I had it serviced on Thursday at a good local VAG independent garage who noted crossing in the rear propshaft doughnut coupling (I've also seen this referred to as a "Guido" ) and having looked into it further on YouTube it definitely seems to fit with the clunk when taking up drive.

Basically it's a rubber coupler between the propshaft and the rear diff/haldex to take up some of the stress bit when it wears it loses elasticity and clunk's rather than offers an element of shock absorption I  the drive train.

I'm hoping that will also cure the whine I get when not accelerating as I suppose when it's under load the slack is then up but when coasting I suppose it would allow an element of movement/rattle which might come across as a whine.

If that's a problem them it's relatively straightforward but she's involve the faff of removing the exhaust etc to get to it and apparently you have to make sure they are fitted in a certain orientation.

Youtube has a lot of videos about this for BMW due to most of them being rear wheel drive but not many for VAG cars unless the have 4x4 as that would mean a propshaft to the rear wheels and a doughnut being in place.

Might be worth seeing if you have a similar clunk just as you lift the clutch.

Cheers

I reckon it will be the Guibo coupling, I will soon be replacing mine (part has arrived but I am away) which I hope will resolve my own transmission noise issue.

I looked very carefully at it while on the ramp for the French CT test, the tester thought it was in perfect condition but there was a minute circumferential crack running all the way around the rubber effectively seperating the outer balance ring harmonically from the inner coupling, it looked like a mould line as it was a prefect set of intersecting involute curves (probably the wrong term), something that you could construct geometrically with compasses and dividers, the stuff I learned training to be a draughtsman before comuters took over.

My advice is to check it very very carefully with a strong light, try and push the annular ring back and forth, hit it with a hammer, it should not "ring" whatsoever, mine did and I think that is what is happening at speed making the transmission noise.

Apologies for my typo filled post above which seems to have been plagued by autocorrect !

I hope you get the idea of what I was suggesting,  check the Guido to look for cracking in the rubber or see if there is a knock/clunk when you take up drive.

(Hopefully I've checked the spelling correctly this time) 😅

Cheers 

I don't think on these vehicles breaking up of the coupling (knocking/clunking when you take up the drive) is a particular problem but decoupling of the outer metal annular ring is common meaning that the harmonic damper cannot function.

Mine is detached but stubbornly remaining in position, for now at least, in terms of torque transfer the coupling is not compromised at all, if my outer annulus looks like it might make a bid for freedom before I can return to either Northern France or Sussex to replace it then I will simply get the angle grinder out and remove it. The noise probably wont go away but if it does or if it gets noisier then my diagnosis will be confirmed.

On the BMW forums there's quite a few comments regarding the clunking Guibo when taking up drive but I appreciate other symptoms might be more common on our cars.

The Indy I use said they used Skoda parts in the past for the Guido but could now get a decent alternative which works out a bit cheaper.

Hope yours doesn't give you any trouble before you get where you need to be 👍

It won't, I am protected, I am on a mission from Dog!

I am where I need to be and where I want to be, 3 days away from signing the act de vente (completion) of my next property and what will be keeping my idle hands from doing the devils works for a good many years.

It's just to replace the coupling I have to be somewhere else where it has been delivered & where I have tools & basic facilities, but somewhere I no longer want to be.

I will probably still be driving on it until the next CT test in 2 years time, I'm assuming my pal will pass it as it is on the retest in 2 months after I have done the failure that does warrant attention, the detached rear ARB drop link.

I paid €84 = £70 for my Guibo coupling:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284687827024

Ignore the hilarious auto-translation of the title!

Edited by J.R.

• 2 years later...
On 22/03/2022 at 19:34, HuwJones said:

Evening everyone. I'm a long time lurker of these forums and they've been great in finding common issues on my previous Octavia vRS and a Fabia Scout. I now have a 2015 Scout and am having trouble finding info on a problem that's been developing for some time.

Mine is a 2.0 diesel 150bhp, manual. It's got 98,000 very well maintained miles on the clock. Several months ago, a bearing noise started at the rear of the car. I changed from my summer tyres to winter tyres and it stayed the same. I ended up replacing both wheel bearings but haven't made a difference. I'm now in the territory of a propshaft bearing or rear differential. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is a relatively common problem. More recently, the noise has changed where it's very noticable while decelerating while off throttle in gear. The noise almost completely disappears when accelerating. I think I found one post on these forums with a simiar issue, but it was a case of 'the dealer fixed it'. I'm very handy with a set of spanners, so I prefer to fix myself.

Propshaft bearing would be relatively easy, but my fear is the rear diff is failing. I did change the haldex oil in the hope it would help. I realised during that job that the diff oil is actually separate to the haldex unit. I haven't tried that, but my bet is that it's too late for an oil change. 😥

I had a poke around on ebay for rear diffs, and they're few and far between. It would be great of any of you know how similar the diffs are across the range (ratios and component revisions) so I can widen my options. Has anyone stripped a diff to change the bearings? They seem pretty conventional from youtube videos.

Cheers!

Hi, just wondering if you sorted this, I have a similar issue on my 2015 Scout.

• 1 month later...

I am also hoping to get an update on this, as I have the same rumbly noise (almost like excessive road noise) at the rear of my 2015 Octavia Scout (91K miles). Does anyone have a definitive answer on what it was and/or how to get it resolved?