i am thinking about getting this

hi guys

i have sent the seller a message on this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203263984863?utm_campaign=Email_a_Dealer&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Triggered_Emails

its the estate version which i couldnt find on the subforum so hopefully its ok on here.

want to know what to look out for on this, any ideas please guys?

many thanks again

It was an economic insurance write off so first thing I'd ask is "what damage was involved and what repairs were made".

• Like 2

Just now, MikeTheThinker said:

It was an economic insurance write off so first thing I'd ask is "what damage was involved and what repairs were made".

thank you

i have already asked him that question, just waiting on a reply.

also, isnt the mk2 skoda made in 2005? i thought this one is a mk2.

5 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

isnt the mk2 skoda made in 2005? i thought this one is a mk2.

It is a mk1 and they were made until model year 2004 although many have turned up with later registrations,  My identifying it as a mk2 was incorrect - I looked at it on my phone and got it wrong.  When Ryan pointed it out as a mk1 I checked on my PC and he's right, of course.

Edited by MikeTheThinker
Corrected wrong info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

thank you

i have already asked him that question, just waiting on a reply.

also, isnt the mk2 skoda made in 2005? i thought this one is a mk2.

There was some overlap. It's a late model Mk1 (the one in the link?), also the possibility of a late registration. A bit like there's a Mk1 Fabias with 57 and 08 registrations. :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Like 2

Just now, MikeTheThinker said:

It is a mk2 and they were made from model years 2005 to 2012 with a face-lift from my08.

thank you

i did check when mk2 was made then i posted in mk2 section but got moved to mk1, was bit confused so thought i would ask.

i know its an old car but been recommended on here.

i used to have a fabia mk2 with the bzg engine, i am guessing the octavia will use a different oil and sparkplugs to the fabia?

i am only asking as i still have a new bottle of oil that was going to go in the fabia but it broke down. 

1 minute ago, froggy8 said:

i used to have a fabia mk2 with the bzg engine, i am guessing the octavia will use a different oil and sparkplugs to the fabia?

I think it will use different items, and have an extra cylinder too, since it's a 1.8T engine. I'll wait for someone to confirm whether there's any overlap with oil spec etc though. :)

• Like 1

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

I think it will use different items, and have an extra cylinder too, since it's a 1.8T engine. I'll wait for someone to confirm whether there's any overlap with oil spec etc though. :)

oh yeah, i forgot about the extra cylinder. i have been so used to the fabia i thought it was 3 cylinder. it will feel strange seeing 4 cylinder though.

• Like 1

In case you haven't checked the car details on DVLA here's what they hold for it:

Vehicle Details

Vehicle make
SKODA
Date of first registration
September 2005
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity
1781 cc
CO₂ emissions
192 g/km
Fuel type
PETROL
Euro status
Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
Not available
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
Untaxed
Vehicle colour
SILVER
Vehicle type approval
M1
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
20 August 2020

• Like 2

Parker's valuations for the car in normal good condition:

Private Price £640 - £880
Dealer Price £1,415 - £2,060
Based on 170,000 miles with no optional extras

My insurers gave me a rough estimate of the discount for a repaired Cat D car of 25% from the above values, although I have no other figures to compare against that one.

I would say that IMO the asking price is a little high.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Parker's valuations for the car in normal good condition:

Private Price £640 - £880
Dealer Price £1,415 - £2,060
Based on 170,000 miles with no optional extras

My insurers gave me a rough estimate of the discount for a repaired Cat D car of 25% from the above values, although I have no other figures to compare against that one.

I would say that IMO the asking price is a little high.

i could try lowering th price, how about 1200?

FYI one direct way of differentiating between a facelifted mk1 and a pre-FL mk2 is to look at the sidelamp/headlamp area.  On a FL mk1 the sidelamp and headlamp are separate units and on a pre-FL mk2 they are combined into one headlamp unit.  I missed that when checking on my phone so again my apologies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i could try lowering th price, how about 1200?

From what I posted and what my insurers said I'd say that would be a fair bid but at the moment used car proces are strong so you may have a fight on your hands.  I'd strongly suggest you look at the insurance damage/repair situation and the service record before offering.  It _looks_ a nice car but - as they say - beauty is only skin deep!

• Like 2

FYI one direct way of differentiating between a facelifted mk1 and a pre-FL mk2 is to look at the sidelamp/headlamp area.  On a FL mk1 the sidelamp and headlamp are separate units and on a pre-FL mk2 they are combined into one headlamp unit.  I missed that when checking on my phone so again my apologies.

looking at the first picture, the sidelamp and headlamp appears to be a separate.

well, its definitely a mk1. 

honestly, noone can say its a good car without physically looking at all the oily bits - should they be oily? should they not be.... being an uneconomical repair write off, it could mean anything or nothing - its old, so a smooshed bumper could be enough for insurance to say good bye to it. 

in general if its been minded reasonably well and hasnt been overly abused or tinkered with by anyone who thinks they know more about what theyre doing than reality, it should be alright. 

it could be the photo angle but image 4 of the rear it looks like its sitting down on the driver's side rear? might need a suspension refresh if it is - thats trickier on the estate vrs as getting proper rated springs and dampers is getting harder, with a lot of misadvertised (through ignorance not malice) kits on the like of ebay etc. sellers listing them for estate vrs but they're actually for a mk4 golf gti and the rears wont sit properly 

other than the above - look for evidence of leaks everywhere. go through the service history if available and look for any big or odd parts being put on 

• Like 3

From what I posted and what my insurers said I'd say that would be a fair bid but at the moment used car proces are strong so you may have a fight on your hands.  I'd strongly suggest you look at the insurance damage/repair situation and the service record before offering.  It _looks_ a nice car but - as they say - beauty is only skin deep!

i have checked the mot history and so far all that seemed to have failed is brake pads and tyres which isnt too bad.

another reason why i asked about the oil and sparkplug is the owner may not have serviced it. 

been looking at cars most of the week now and most cars have already got mot and been serviced so not sure about the octavia.

mot history isnt going tell all the stories though... 

what condition is the turbo actually in.. sticky vanes is common, but easy enough to sort. 

it almost a given that at least one door card will have been off for a lock mechanism repair. that can be done with subtlety, or with a lump hammer... and if the hammer option a good chance the membrane wasnt replaced properly = leaky boi.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

well, its definitely a mk1. 

honestly, noone can say its a good car without physically looking at all the oily bits - should they be oily? should they not be.... being an uneconomical repair write off, it could mean anything or nothing - its old, so a smooshed bumper could be enough for insurance to say good bye to it. 

in general if its been minded reasonably well and hasnt been overly abused or tinkered with by anyone who thinks they know more about what theyre doing than reality, it should be alright. 

it could be the photo angle but image 4 of the rear it looks like its sitting down on the driver's side rear? might need a suspension refresh if it is - thats trickier on the estate vrs as getting proper rated springs and dampers is getting harder, with a lot of misadvertised (through ignorance not malice) kits on the like of ebay etc. sellers listing them for estate vrs but they're actually for a mk4 golf gti and the rears wont sit properly 

other than the above - look for evidence of leaks everywhere. go through the service history if available and look for any big or odd parts being put on 

problem is i cant check it out as its too far away but i can when they deliver it though.

2 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

mot history isnt going tell all the stories though... 

what condition is the turbo actually in.. sticky vanes is common, but easy enough to sort. 

it almost a given that at least one door card will have been off for a lock mechanism repair. that can be done with subtlety, or with a lump hammer... and if the hammer option a good chance the membrane wasnt replaced properly = leaky boi.

if its ok with you, i might just copy what you just asked and paste it on a message to him and see what he says.

1 minute ago, Lady Elanore said:

I wondered if the car had done a bit of cabbing? 

wouldnt surprise me as octavia is one of the best for cabbing/taxi so ive heard/read.

10 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

problem is i cant check it out as its too far away but i can when they deliver it though.

1.  Once you commit to delivery you will find it much harder to back out, especially if they already have your money. 

2.  Do the AA/RAC/etc. still offer inspection services?

Later: yes, they do. https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

wouldnt surprise me as octavia is one of the best for cabbing/taxi so ive heard/read.

Most cabbies used the poverty spec diesels not a VRs 

• Like 2

1.  Once you commit to delivery you will find it much harder to back out, especially if they already have your money. 

2.  Do the AA/RAC/etc. still offer inspection services?

hhmmm.... will have to think hard on this one now.

i have never heard of rac or other company that does inspection services, that is a good idea, i will google for more info.