83.6 MPG!

There are many things with the MK4 I dislike, but the one thing that regularly impresses me is the mpg. Ok, I probably drive like an old man, but I can easily get 55-60mpg. Today on a 200 mile trip up the A30 & M5.. 83.6mpg! 

It's become a bit of a thing now, to beat my record each time! 

(2 litre diesel)

20220417_142945.JPG

• Like 2

Nice one! Certainly an impressive mpg; pleased you mentioned it's a diesel, is it a manual 'box?

Bit like you, I usually try to be a my record, and am disappointed if I don't more than 56mpg from my 1.5 TSI (manual) on a long run. Best so far at normal motorway speeds is 58.8 over a 160 mile trip. 

Edited by sneal
  • Like 1

Well done Mike! Despite the development of diesel engines having ceased, that is a credit to you and to Skoda.  I once achieved 70mpg in our 2002 model 1.9 Tdi Octy diesel, by driving at 55 mpg on the M4 for miles to home. Our Mk 4 Octy iV has returned 88mpg since new, which is impressive.

5 hours ago, sneal said:

Nice one! Certainly an impressive mpg; pleased you mentioned it's a diesel, is it a manual 'box?

Bit like you, I usually try to be a my record, and am disappointed if I don't more than 56mpg from my 1.5 TSI (manual) on a long run. Best so far at normal motorway speeds is 58.8 over a 160 mile trip. 

Yeah forgot to mention ,

It's an auto box

• Like 2

I saw a vid on YouTube when I was looking into the Octavia mk4, a guy did a reset of the mpg and then drove at constant 56mph and the readout averaged nearly 95mpg!. And still over 65mpg at 75mph

he tests lots of cars this way and the only one that beats the Octavia is a Merc 180d

honestly, why are we all being forced into petrols and petrol hybrids when these diesels are so efficient?

Even with diesel at £2 a litre it looks like you can still run one of these at 10-11p a mile. Electric at 30p/kWh will cost about £4 to charge your octy phev for example, to do 30 miles, then you’ve got a petrol engine which can only get half to two thirds the mpg (if you’re lucky) when the battery runs out.

For me the ideal combination would be a diesel phev, so you’ve got electric for those short journeys and an efficient Diesel engine for the motorway. Mercedes has made it work and id like to see VW have a go at it, I’m sure with some hybrid tech on there you could get one over 100mpg. Does the Octavia TDI have any mild hybrid features like the eTSI (such as costing with the engine off?)

Edited by PoloGaz
  • Like 1

Hi PoloGaz. If you have a Smart meter and the Octopus Go tariff, the off-peak rate between 00:30 and 04:30 is 7.5 p/kWh. Our Octy iV will fully charge for £1 and we'll get about 25 miles on e-power ie 4p/mile. The estimated savings over 100% IC usage is about £400 per annum. (NB The Smart meter cannot work out consumption for the full and off-peak rates separately but the bill does split the costs).

13 hours ago, PoloGaz said:

I saw a vid on YouTube when I was looking into the Octavia mk4, a guy did a reset of the mpg and then drove at constant 56mph and the readout averaged nearly 95mpg!. And still over 65mpg at 75mph

he tests lots of cars this way and the only one that beats the Octavia is a Merc 180d

honestly, why are we all being forced into petrols and petrol hybrids when these diesels are so efficient?

Even with diesel at £2 a litre it looks like you can still run one of these at 10-11p a mile. Electric at 30p/kWh will cost about £4 to charge your octy phev for example, to do 30 miles, then you’ve got a petrol engine which can only get half to two thirds the mpg (if you’re lucky) when the battery runs out.

For me the ideal combination would be a diesel phev, so you’ve got electric for those short journeys and an efficient Diesel engine for the motorway. Mercedes has made it work and id like to see VW have a go at it, I’m sure with some hybrid tech on there you could get one over 100mpg. Does the Octavia TDI have any mild hybrid features like the eTSI (such as costing with the engine off?)

I agree. Diesel is far more efficient. I can get 800 miles out of a tank. So no range anxiety there. I had an LPG conversion a few years ago, and it was a pain to be constantly looking for lpg stations.

I know we'll all be electric eventually, but until the infrastructure is everywhere, and your car can be 'refuelled' in a few minutes, it's just not like for like.

• Like 2

@mikewood01What is the average speed showing when it shows as getting 83.6 MPH and a range still of 645 miles?

?

Have you been doing brim to brim checks to see what the average consumption is or actual miles per litre you get?

PS.

I could get 800 miles out of a tank with a 2.0 TSI / DSG SCR Alhambra when using coasting mode on suitable roads. It was a 63 litre tank.

More common it was 630 miles and some on dual carriageways and motorways with people and stuff in the car. 

Edited by roottoot

2 hours ago, Jim2015 said:

Hi PoloGaz. If you have a Smart meter and the Octopus Go tariff, the off-peak rate between 00:30 and 04:30 is 7.5 p/kWh. Our Octy iV will fully charge for £1 and we'll get about 25 miles on e-power ie 4p/mile. The estimated savings over 100% IC usage is about £400 per annum. (NB The Smart meter cannot work out consumption for the full and off-peak rates separately but the bill does split the costs).

Hi yeah I’ve been looking at these tariffs I just hope there is something similar available when I get my IV as the rate was 5p per kWh until recently and who knows what will happen over the next few years with these ev friendly tariffs

My main issue is the cost of running the petrol engine over the diesel. The 1.4 phev has been widely criticised for real world /flat battery mpg compared to the new mild hybrid 1.5 eTSI. Apparently VAG are going to replace the 1.4 with the 1.5 but it’ll probably get put in the new passat first (due next year) and filter down into the Skoda range over the next few years

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

@mikewood01What is the average speed showing when it shows as getting 83.6 MPH and a range still of 645 miles?

?

Have you been doing brim to brim checks to see what the average consumption is or actual miles per litre you get?

PS.

I could get 800 miles out of a tank with a 2.0 TSI / DSG SCR Alhambra when using coasting mode on suitable roads. It was a 63 litre tank.

More common it was 630 miles and some on dual carriageways and motorways with people and stuff in the car. 

I didn't check the average mph on that particular journey, but it was a dual carriageway and motorway trip so I'm guessing between 65 and 70. 

I did a brim to brim recently and it was 67mpg. But that included a bunch of local trips.

• Like 1

I'm very impressed with the fuel efficiency of mine (2.0TDI manual); over the 21,000 and a bit miles since I've had it I'm currently showing an average of 68mpg based on fill-to-fill using Fuelly, with the max mpg recorded at 73.5.  My previous Mk3 Superb (1.6TDi manual) only got around 56mpg average, which I thought was quite good at the time, but doesn't compare to this. 

Given the cost of fuel at the moment it's apparently costing me 11.8p/mile which is comfortably under the HMRC rate for company car drivers (13p/mile for up to 2 litre diesel) so I'm not losing money doing work miles, which is good!

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Thanks @MCG1975 for sharing your mpg figures and costs. When I bought my 1.5 TSI I had debate with myself, as usual, about petrol vs diesel. Which is better value etc. etc. based on my anticipated mileage, fuel costs, driving patterns (journey lengths, traffic, etc.). In the end decided on the 1.5 TSI. Overall, mine is at 54.2mpg over the last 10k miles, brim to brim calculations, which gives me a cost of 13.6p/mile.

Using your consumption figures as a comparison, my anticipated annual mileage, and the current WhatCar Target Prices (1.5TSI 150, 2.0TDI 150) I reckon it'd take about 5 1/2 years fuel cost difference to make up the purchase price difference.

Not a clear winner either way for me, and close enough for me to 'justify' the debate with myself each time I change the car! It is of course all academic as new ICE cars will soon be a thing of the past 🙄

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sneal said:

Thanks @MCG1975 for sharing your mpg figures and costs. When I bought my 1.5 TSI I had debate with myself, as usual, about petrol vs diesel. Which is better value etc. etc. based on my anticipated mileage, fuel costs, driving patterns (journey lengths, traffic, etc.). In the end decided on the 1.5 TSI. Overall, mine is at 54.2mpg over the last 10k miles, brim to brim calculations, which gives me a cost of 13.6p/mile.

Using your consumption figures as a comparison, my anticipated annual mileage, and the current WhatCar Target Prices (1.5TSI 150, 2.0TDI 150) I reckon it'd take about 5 1/2 years fuel cost difference to make up the purchase price difference.

Not a clear winner either way for me, and close enough for me to 'justify' the debate with myself each time I change the car! It is of course all academic as new ICE cars will soon be a thing of the past 🙄

Glad it was of use and interesting to see the deliberations on purchasing.  Mine's a company car so I basically get a budget to spend on a car, therefore for me it's more about whether it will cost me more in the differing economy and fuel costs as to whether I went for diesel or petrol, rather than making back the extra outlay.  At the time I was doing around 30k a year so diesel was a clear winner but as I'm doing slightly less now and the difference in cost between diesel and petrol is (currently at least) so large it may make a difference in 18 months when the car's up for changing.

• Like 1

Obviously the case for diesel hasnt changed, if you do reasonable mileage it will always be the winner, my 150 TDi does very similar to MCG1975, long term (7,000 miles) 65mpg, highest 82mpg average speed 45mph (not great! Thats not me drivimng slowly by choice!! but traffic or town roads impacting my motorway averages) . With resale values and cost of fuels I am miles better with a diesel than Petrol and due to my journeys and lack of charging point at work, Electric is not an option, unless I want to sit having long coffees every journey, one day electric will win, but for me not yet, petrol is only workable for short town journeys (where diesel is least efficient) and fun. But as ever its all about your personal driving requirements. For me it will remain petrol for small (ish!!) fun car and town car, large long hauler ... diesel. I would love Hydrogen to get mainstream, but like electric that will have to wait! I think Electric is more of a threat to petrol than diesel, I would have an electric car over my petrols any day, cost is stopping me, but irrelevant of cost, I wouldn't have an electric over my diesel due to range and charge options. 

38 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

I think Electric is more of a threat to petrol than diesel

Government policy doesn't differentiate between petrol & diesel, from 2030 all new cars have to be hybrids whether petrol or diesel, and from 2035 all new cars have to be electric.

And those dates might get brought forward according to some commentators.