Tyres

After 25.000km the front tyres on my hybrid are coming to the end of their life.

The car is fitted with Bridgestone Turanza tyres. They have been good and I am planning to use the same tyres again, unless anyone else has any suggestions in relation to better tyres.

Any suggestions?

Based on past (long time past) history, I have not liked Bridgestone tyres so have avoided them since. I prefer Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance - plenty of grip, comfortable ride and quiet.

My Mk4 Octavia came with Michelin Primacy which I wont be putting on again. They feel hard and noisy. Next time round I’m going to look at all-season tyres though.

• Like 1

I was just wondering what tyres the RS comes with? 

Got some Michelin PS4s on the current RS and TBQH they're the biggest pile of 💩, going, very poor grip on bends and bumpy roads, so will be changing them to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, despite having only done about 4k miles on them.

Edited by TheWanderer

1 hour ago, Joss1733 said:

what tyres are on a vrs 4x4 diesel estate?

You can look on the configurator. There are 3 possible options:

Pirelli Cinturato P7

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 5

Bridgestone Turanza T005

Unfortunately Goodyear are the only sporty ones on this list. 

23 hours ago, rmills said:

After 25.000km the front tyres on my hybrid are coming to the end of their life.

The car is fitted with Bridgestone Turanza tyres. They have been good and I am planning to use the same tyres again, unless anyone else has any suggestions in relation to better tyres.

Any suggestions?

If you are in Portugal then stick with the summer tyres.

Bridgestone Turanza are summer touring tyres, and unless you need sporty tyres (Potenza are sporty tyres from Bridgestone) then you could stick with them.

Perhaps only sensible alternatives are Continental Premium Contact 6, Michelin primacy 4+ (not the older 4), Hankook ventus prime 4 or Goodyear efficient grip 2.   But I don’t really know what the roads are like in Portugal or your driving style or the prices there to offer a ranking

Edited by SurreyJohn

19 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Mine came with Bridgestone S005.

No longer produced for UK

It is now Potenza S001, S007, or new Potenza sport

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

i had goodyear eagle f1 on my volvo  v 60 but after 12k of driving had to changed them.thank you for the inforfmation

That seems incredibly strange. People are getting around 50k km on asymmetric 5.

31 minutes ago, zetzet said:

That seems incredibly strange. People are getting around 50k km on asymmetric 5.

i know a friend of mine who works in the tyre trade and he fitted them was suprised when i took the car in for him to have a look at.what tyre  for a 4x4 are the best in uk north england.mnd you when i do get my car  i will use them tyres until ready for for new ones

11 hours ago, zetzet said:

Sounds about right - i've lost 1mm of tread depth in 19k km on F1 A5's.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 20:02, zetzet said:

Don’t forget the Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 6 is now on sale.

But it is a summer tyre so expect grip to fall off below about +10c in the wet, and be pretty poor below about +4c in wet, and virtually useless  in frost, sleet, snow, icy rain etc. (Goodyear make vector 4season gen 3 if you want an all year tyre for UK), alternatively use the Ultragrip performance from late October to April

I have ultragrip 9+ as my winter tyre and it is brilliant, can drive on frosty roads and snow and cold rain like it is a summers day without any skittish behaviour 

On 25/04/2022 at 19:36, SurreyJohn said:

If you are in Portugal then stick with the summer tyres.

Bridgestone Turanza are summer touring tyres, and unless you need sporty tyres (Potenza are sporty tyres from Bridgestone) then you could stick with them.

Perhaps only sensible alternatives are Continental Premium Contact 6, Michelin primacy 4+ (not the older 4), Hankook ventus prime 4 or Goodyear efficient grip 2.   But I don’t really know what the roads are like in Portugal or your driving style or the prices there to offer a ranking

Thank you. Roads are generally good here, and I live in the Algarve so it is pretty much always summer! I have been happy with the tyres so I think I will stick with the Bridgestones

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2022 at 08:58, DaveFromSydney said:

Mine came with Bridgestone S005.

But I just hit a pothole on our main highway and one is damaged so now I need to replace it and the one on the other side to match.

But S005's take one month (!) to arrive so I have to go with with what is available today, which turns out to be T005 (Turanza).

Total cost either way is around $870 AUD with a wheel alignment. Thank you Department of Main Roads.

On 25/04/2022 at 11:22, zetzet said:

You can look on the configurator. There are 3 possible options:

Pirelli Cinturato P7

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 5

Bridgestone Turanza T005

Unfortunately Goodyear are the only sporty ones on this list. 

Mine came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 in October 2021 

They have been very good tbf, hardly no road noise and seem to be ok! Was fearing I'd drive into a ditch with the P7s. I have never gotten on with Pirelli tyres.

12 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

But I just hit a pothole on our main highway and one is damaged so now I need to replace it and the one on the other side to match.

But S005's take one month (!) to arrive so I have to go with with what is available today, which turns out to be T005 (Turanza).

Total cost either way is around $870 AUD with a wheel alignment. Thank you Department of Main Roads.

Send them the bill. With a notification that unless they pay for it (you must provide proof (such as a photograph)  that the damage was caused by a pothole, then you will consider your legal options. 

I have done this twice with Surrey County Council and got payment for my tyre and wheel rim.

9 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Send them the bill. With a notification that unless they pay for it (you must provide proof (such as a photograph)  that the damage was caused by a pothole, then you will consider your legal options. 

I have done this twice with Surrey County Council and got payment for my tyre and wheel rim.

I am not going to back searching for the pothole on a busy highway 15kms away.

But I don't think things work that way here in Australia.

And after the last 3 months of heavy rain the east coast of Australia (did you hear about our record floods)  and Sydney in particular is covered in potholes.

Imagine what it would cost the government if everyone could get reimbursed for the damage.

I think the expectation here is that it is up to the driver to see the pothole (or any other road defect or obstruction) and take appropriate avoidance action.

Difficult to do, of course, when there is heavy traffic and you are just following the car in front of you.

For a local explanation  see here:
https://www.warrantyandinsurance.com.au/who-pays-for-my-tyre-and-rim-damage-after-hitting-a-pot-hole

They agree with you, but point out that it is a difficult process.

Edited by DaveFromSydney

It depends on how much you value your ~A$870.

If you're successful in getting it and you document the process and make it public, the authorities will be out there fixing the roads up fairly quickly as they know that once one driver has done it and the information on how to get them to pay for their laziness and negligence is readily available, it will open the proverbial floodgates for damage claims. 

It took me quite a while to get a settlement, buy I got all but £5 each time. 

The choice is yours. For A$5 worth of gas, you could be A$865 better off. 

52 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

It depends on how much you value your ~A$870.

If you're successful in getting it and you document the process and make it public, the authorities will be out there fixing the roads up fairly quickly as they know that once one driver has done it and the information on how to get them to pay for their laziness and negligence is readily available, it will open the proverbial floodgates for damage claims. 

It took me quite a while to get a settlement, buy I got all but £5 each time. 

The choice is yours. For A$5 worth of gas, you could be A$865 better off. 

I feel that the chances of success are slim. The tyres did not explode or deflate. It just has a lump in the sidewall the size of an egg which I and the tyre shop consider dangerous.

It is my choice to replace the opposite tyre to retain a matching pair.

It is my choice to get a wheel alignment.

They might also discount for wear on the tyre although it is like new after 12 months and only 5500kms.

So in reality I would probably be lucky to get $350.

And by now I am not sure which precise section of the highway it is. And whether it is a council thing or a main roads thing.

Anyway the new tyres come with free accidental damage insurance which might cover me if the same happens again.

Although, like all insurance, the fine print will probably mean it is worthless.

On 30/05/2022 at 09:31, DaveFromSydney said:

I did similar a few months ago the day I picked up my RS! With the wait I ditched the S005’s and put PS4 on all round.  Got 3 S005’s with 35km on them sitting in Brisbane if you need spares!

43 minutes ago, mbroad79 said:

I did similar a few months ago the day I picked up my RS! With the wait I ditched the S005’s and put PS4 on all round.  Got 3 S005’s with 35km on them sitting in Brisbane if you need spares!

Thanks. That would have been good to know a couple of days ago.

But now I have spent the money and have two T005s fitted and a new wheel alignment.

The total cost ended up being $825.

Then the tyre folk, while balancing my wheel, said they think the rim is slightly buckled but they thought I might not notice it.

So I am waiting to take it for a long high-speed drive to see about that.

I suppose a matching new wheel from Skoda, if needed, will be at least $400 like 3rd party ones, but probably much more since this is Skoda.

I wonder if this would have happened if the car had been fitted with 17 or 18 inch rims. I don't appreciate the look of the 19 inch ones enough to pay for it but the car comes with them.

I can see the 40-series tyres seem to cost $100 or more than the regular ones.

Edited by DaveFromSydney