Fuel Economy

Hi all, just wondering what’s yr best MPG that you’ve gotten. This is the best I achieved at one stage in my 110 TSI manual hatch. I was going to the coast in the lakes so had the car up to 65-66 mpg for most of the journey until I turned of the M6 and went across the mountains. At one stage on the motorway my car reckoned it could do over 800 miles to a tank of petrol. That was with some drafting off Lorries and very light foot work. I went M3-M25-M1-M6-M6 Toll-M6. There was a problem on the M40 and the 2 quickest ways where either going to wales and up or the other route. The 64.6 MPG is what I got when I arrived at my destination.

555513AB-A4B0-4449-B4F7-A8555A4A7809.jpeg

177A3278-DDA2-4CA5-ADB9-2131F0018658.jpeg

DFD3947D-1F4D-481B-8CE7-7A8C6FD70214.jpeg

Generally I agree, that engine fitted to the 6 speed man trans is very good fuel usage wise, my wife's August 2015 VW Polo is more used locally, but still achieves over 60MPG on 10>15 mile runs, in fact one "weakness" with a car that performs like that is, I find myself trying to improve its fuel usage, which annoys my wife, it also has destroyed my enjoyment of driving my own car - which is a bit annoying, I need to develop a different "driving brain" for driving my wife's car and my when I'm driving my car!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Generally I agree, that engine fitted to the 6 speed man trans is very good fuel usage wise, my wife's August 2015 VW Polo is more used locally, but still achieves over 60MPG on 10>15 mile runs, in fact one "weakness" with a car that performs like that is, I find myself trying to improve its fuel usage, which annoys my wife, it also has destroyed my enjoyment of driving my own car - which is a bit annoying, I need to develop a different "driving brain" for driving my wife's car and my when I'm driving my car!

I managed to keep my overall avg MPG up to 57.4 and managed 614 miles to a tank. This is a photo after I filled it up before setting back off.

D0BDDCC9-2348-45E2-B408-052A396F7B0A.jpeg

Awesome mileage!!

I have a 1.2tsi 90 5 speed, I have done this a few times now but you can easily get around 580miles out of a tank on motorway drives, but I use Fuely to track my mpg's. Best I have gotten is 59.4mpg over 588 miles. 

Very economical engines and this is driving at 70 on cruise. If I drove at 60 etc I could probably get more out of it! 

Frankly, not too good for me. I have a 2016 1.2 DSG Montecarlo with effing great big wheels. I bought it use at 2 years old with less than 5,000 miles on the clock (owner had died and its sale was held up by executors). Those 17" fat wheels with uprated suspension makes for fantastic handling (heaps better than the vRS version), but it is neither comfortable on rough roads (and what roads aren't rough and potholed these days), nor economical.

I get around 40mpg locally around town and can stretch it to 50mpg on a longer run.

I do think the 1.2 Tsi coupled with the 7-speed DSG is a really good combination in a small car: it is surprisingly responsive in Sports mode. But it's a harsh ride. I'll definitely avoid big wheels for my next car!

I have done above 60 mpg full tank to full tank several times.

This is working it out, not off the car display.

Thanks, AG Falco

Any good? 😉

116MPG.jpg

You can get some impressive MPG figures out of the 1.2TSI even when you aren't trying to. Quite regularly get high 40s with driving around town and some nationals and well into the 50s on a motorway run. Just have to drive it right and not with a lead foot.

What tyres, pressures and fuel are you guys running?

I'm currently on 215/45/16 Dunlop SP sport maxx and Avon ZV7 mix front to rear at 34PSI. I've been using Vpower almost exclusively now as it always seems happier running on it so continued to use it. Which I guess now has the added benefit of still being an E5 fuel.

• Like 1

I did look around at the other garages and there wasn't much difference in the price or not enough of a difference to justify driving the extra distance to get there.

In my area Sainsburys and Tesco were the cheapest fluctuating between 165 and 170 a litre but they're 2 of the 3 large supermarkets in my area that are well into the centre of town so are always full and queueing out of the forecourt due to a wonderfully designed access road that's shared with the supermarket.

Shell hovers around 174 to 178 and is also the closest and easiest to get to for me. But knowing they've posted a £14.2 billion profit and with Vpower dropping as low as 120 per litre during the height of the pandemic it's painful watching the price appear on the pump when you lift it up.

Esso tends to be the same as Shell price wise but always seems to be a couple of pence more compared to Shell. Just wish Esso would come a bit further north than Stoke with their ethanol free Synergy 99 to bump the MPG up even more.

The couple of times I've filled up in stoke the Esso synergy 99 tends to be 10p a litre cheaper than that in my area whilst also being ethanol free. So it seems your area plays a big part in fuel price.

• Confused 1

TSI's love Ethanol.  There is no better fuel efficiency with the 99 ron minimum without ethanol.

Greenergy that partners with Shell for importing & storing base fuels produces and delivers Tesco Momentum and ESSO fuels in the areas where it does not have ethanol.

Tesco part own Greenergy. 

Being further up north in the UK can mean you are getting cheaper fuel than further south, like in Scotland.

If anybody bothered they could do the actual fuel testing properly and publish the results.

The testing company is owned by a publishing companies owners but nobody really wants to be showing what E5 or E10 means or the difference between 97 or 99 ron for even emmissions.

Tesco did test and publish though a few years back.

6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23 (1).pdf 388380a097b04fe693a8c27db8bb4974 (1).pdf

Edited by roottoot

Good to know I'll keep that in mind when I need to fill up next.

So Shell, Tesco and Esso (in areas with ethanol) have the same base fuels?

Any difference at all with additives that's known about as they obviosity keep that very hush hush?

16 hours ago, Bepis said:

Snip     ----- Snip

Any difference at all with additives that's known about as they obviosity keep that very hush hush?

Knowing that would spoil the game!

I always thought that the base spirit, which modern cars probably don't like, is the same across the refined spirit industry and is probably defined by BS or other standards, the additive packages - there does not seem to be any regulation or standards that I've noticed/read, it is all up to branding loyalty or something.

• 2 months later...

I managed to crack the 80’s by getting 81.2 MPG. It did show 81.4 MPG but that was only for a second. This is in my 1.2 110 TSI that’s not remapped just cruising along at 50 MPH.

913D58DB-6DA2-4AB2-9A86-8CA9DBA4E468.jpeg

This is what my AVG for both start and since refuelling was after my day out today.

C0C5B673-C9A7-4C74-8CA5-403611544ED7.jpeg

5832F553-27A8-41B3-A16A-22C81631A578.jpeg

• Like 2

Do you believe the car's (VW) computer consumption figures are that accurate?

Makes me think of a (relatively) recent Fleetwood Mac hit single.

43 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Do you believe the car's (VW) computer consumption figures are that accurate?

Makes me think of a (relatively) recent Fleetwood Mac hit single.

My trip computer is out by 1.6 MPG. I know this because I have calculated my fuel consumption in the past and compared to the trip computer my official AVG MPG was 1.6 lower.

OK, thanks.  I'm not sure if you mean you have once tested (or more than once) and compared (once or more than once) your calculated mpg compare to the car's readout and the car's readout was 1.6 higher?

Whichever the figures are very impressive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CY67 said:

My trip computer is out by 1.6 MPG.

With mine it is optimistic in warm weather and pessimistic in cold weather.

This is after 6 years and 65K miles of checking after each tank fill.

Thanks, AG Falco