Karoq 1.5 TSi DSG 150 PS Petrol grade (UK)

Simzet

Hi, I am about to take delivery of a new (Facelift) Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG 150PS in the UK. Should I run one of the better petrol grades such as Shell V-Power 99RON, Esso Synergy+ 99RON, Tesco Momentum 99 RON, or just use standard 95 RON.

Thoughts and experiences please.

The fuel filler label will say that 95 RON is fine, but some owners are reporting that the ethynol in the current 95 RON petrol gives a poorer fuel consumption than the E5 99 RON petrol. 

I decided to treat my 20.TSI to E5 99 RON from new, until the recent price rises and fuel shortages made me switch back to E10 95 RON. But I can't really see any difference in performance or fuel economy. (I always refuel at Tesco by the way, as over the years I've never had any problems with their fuel.)

Chris

The Fuel Filler label in the EU & UK and various other world regions shows that 95 ron is the Minimum Octane that you should run the car on

so yes they are fine on that. 

That is the fuel that will have been used when the WLTP / RDE2 test will have been done.  (probably 95 ron E5 and not E10 though.)

The simplest thing is to run E10 95 ron and compare when you run 97 or 99 minimum E5 and see how the car feels and how many miles litres it takes to do brim to brim to brim after every 400-450 miles or however far you choose to do your checking.

Remember not all E5 Super Unleaded fuels are the same or might have up to 5% ethanol in them  and can be different in different parts of the UK.

Not all E10 might have as much as 10% ethanol either all the time.

A litre of Sainsbury 99 Super Unleaded or Tesco Momentum 99 might be the same price or even cheaper the 95 ron Unleaded from Shell, BP, Jet, Texaco, ESSO, Gulf, Gleaner etc etc.

Greenergy  supply Tesco Fuels around the UK and that are part owned by Tesco also supply ESSO Fuels in much of the UK as well as fuel to Independent retailers.

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8 (1).jpg

Edited by roottoot

On 10/05/2022 at 21:28, Simzet said:

Hi, I am about to take delivery of a new (Facelift) Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG 150PS in the UK. Should I run one of the better petrol grades such as Shell V-Power 99RON, Esso Synergy+ 99RON, Tesco Momentum 99 RON, or just use standard 95 RON.

Thoughts and experiences please.

There are so many variables that comparing both fuels is nigh on impossible. The world of advertsing is very powerful so it comes down to this - if you think it'll improve your engine then it probably will. If you don't think it'll make any difference then it probably won't. I belong to the latter camp.

I've never had a problem with 95ron fuel so only the idea of more MPG would make me change to the more expensive stuff.  And I've yet to read any independent test which has found the more expensive fuel to give more MPG - if it did then it's only by a minuscule amount.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

VW do publish a recommendation for use of super unleaded for GTI /R's, and this use of 98 ron included the Euro 5 1.4 TSI's Twinchargers used by Skoda which have 98 (95) on the fuel filler flap.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

It is amazing that Independent testing is not being done and published since E10 was introduced as the standard for 95 unleaded & E5 just to see if emissions were reduced and compared with E5 97 or 99 ron minimum.

Likely not anything that any fuel producers or retailers are interested in doing. 

6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23 (1) (1).pdf 388380a097b04fe693a8c27db8bb4974 (1) (1).pdf

Edited by roottoot

According to Honest John: "The jury's still out on E10 fuel. While the Government's own data suggests it will reduce fuel economy by around 1%, many drivers and independent researchers report the figure at up to 10% for certain engines.

Any new car launched from 2017 or 2018 onwards, however, has been designed for E10 and WLTP tested with it."

So make of that what you will!!

Chris

On 15/05/2022 at 18:48, roottoot said:

@CJJE  Where did you find that the WLTP is carried out using E10.

Will that also be the RDE / RDE2?

I can only link you to the Honest John quote: Does E10 petrol reduce fuel economy? | Ask Honest John | Honest John but cannot verify his statement.

Chris

Upto the recent price hike of petrol, I always used Shell V Power.

Now I use Tesco Momentum 99, as I believe that E10 is less efficient and the Momentum is more cost effective, even with the price difference.

Don't trust the E10 fuel.