Coming back to Skoda - DSG or Manual?

Trilogy2k

Hi All,

I've been away from the marque for a few years (I have an Audi A6), but my next planned change will be back to Skoda. I'm seriously considering a 2017+ Diesel Superb (L&K if possible) - but I notice most of the ones available come with the DSG box. I was going to go for a manual, but are there any downsides with this auto?

My Audi has the 8 speed Multitronic CVT box and it's clutch packs are on the way out, and with expensive (£250) 20K mile transmission oil changes, I thought a manual was the safest way to go.. I'm almost scared to consider something not manual!   Is the relability good, are the oil changes painfully regular and expensive?

Any advice greatfully received. Thanks all..
Edited by Trilogy2k

• Trilogy2k changed the title to Coming back to Skoda - DSG or Manual?

All three DSG's I've got/had have been both superb and faultless.  I've a mate with an A5 that's got the CVT box, and the DSG's are far better IMO.

If it's a 2.0 Diesel from that era, it'll have the DQ250 six speed wet clutch DSG, that should have services at 40k intervals.  This is the better DSG in my opinion, although the DQ200 in our Polo GTI has also been spot on (a 1.6 diesel will have this DQ200 seven speed dry clutch unit).  The DQ200 doesn't have a service schedule - it's worth doing a bit of background reading on this box, although by 2017 most of the early wrinkles were ironed out. 

I think it's arguable as to whether manual is '..the safest way to go'.

Gaz

• Like 2

@Trilogy2kWhere are you in the world? 

In the UK the Audi Multitronic CVT oil changes are at 40,000 miles and in some other world regions @ 38,000 miles.

6 / 7 speed wet clutch DSG oil changes are at 40,000 miles unless a vehicle with a DQ381 that is at 80,000 miles.

Screenshot 2022-05-15 17.39.02.jpg

Edited by roottoot

On 15/05/2022 at 17:34, roottoot said:

@Trilogy2kWhere are you in the world? 

In the UK the Audi Multitronic CVT oil changes are at 40,000 miles and in some other world regions @ 38,000 miles.

6 / 7 speed wet clutch DSG oil changes are at 40,000 miles unless a vehicle with a DQ381 that is at 80,000 miles.

Is that for Octavias with the DQ381 too, @roottoot?

@EnterName Apparently the DQ381 DSG Service Interval is @ 80,000 miles and members have been having this confirmed in writing.

That should apply with all of them in any models.

The first threads on that were in the Octavia Mk3 section. 

First was about the DQ380.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470669-dq380-service-schedule

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/482244-dq381-service-intervals

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@EnterName Apparently the DQ381 DSG Service Interval is @ 80,000 miles and members have been having this confirmed in writing.

That should apply with all of them in any models.

The first threads on that were in the Octavia Mk3 section. 

First was about the DQ380.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470669-dq380-service-schedule

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/482244-dq381-service-intervals

Well rock and roll! 😁

I'll still probably get it done at 40K miles, but even at my slightly increased mileage that will still take me another 5 or 6 years.

Unless there's an "either x miles or n years" service interval on the DSG boxes.

• Like 1

Here is another point of view for you.

Current situation will accelerate the shift to e-cars and autonomous driving systems.

Manual shifting will be history with e-cars. After a short introduction phase to e-cars, autonomous driving systems will not be a luxury option. It will be a complete ban for human beings to drive vehicles. It's not for safety. It's for efficiency for traffic. Not just for individual cars anymore. Nothing can beat thousands of cars moving in unison on the roads, just like products moving on conveyor belts in factories.

I don't know how long you keep your cars but this might be your last manual transmission car.

Also, If I were living in somewhere considered better than a third world country, I would not consider investing in diesel cars anymore. They are at the first line on the ban list and If there would be any petroleum shortages in the future, diesel might be reserved for agriculture and heavy transport use only.

Just my two cents.

Edited by R_Blue
  • Haha 1

Until then the UK has a few decades worth of ICE vehicles that are not getting taken off the crap roads in the 4 countries.

Not even a reliable digital radio signal, mobile signal, or GPS in parts of the British Isles in 2022.

Many areas grind to a halt with a bit of snow on the roads in the UK and VW Group which is the biggest or 2nd biggest car manufacturers in the world can not sort out Software glitches with Lane Assist, KPH/ MPH, SOS etc. 

So traffic moving about automously has a way to go yet if the German Manufacturers are going to be leading the way. 

Once the HGV Convoys are running the motorways of the UK and the driverless busses and vans are in towns and cities we will see how the taxis and hire cars and private vehicles get on.

There are driverless busses running in Scotland now with a driver present obviously.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-61216302

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, R_Blue said:

Current situation will accelerate the shift to e-cars and autonomous driving systems.

Not sure what the "current situation" is that will cause that acceleration, other than political will, which at the moment is strong. The will of politicians to force people into electric vehicles may strengthen or weaken.

1 hour ago, R_Blue said:

Manual shifting will be history with e-cars. After a short introduction phase to e-cars, autonomous driving systems will not be a luxury option. It will be a complete ban for human beings to drive vehicles. It's not for safety. It's for efficiency for traffic. Not just for individual cars anymore. Nothing can beat thousands of cars moving in unison on the roads, just like products moving on conveyor belts in factories.

I doubt we'll see this happen anytime soon.

As I see it, right now the people running things are focussed on wealth redistribution. So I'd be more inclined to believe a complete ban on the ownership of private vehicles would be put into effect, with cars being used via short-term rentals, like e-bikes.

I suppose with autonomous cars, you order a car to your location, it drives itself to you. You use it on a pay-as-you-go basis, and then when you finish with it, it drives itself back to base.

But in the short term, I see a convenient war being staged, to distract from and cover up the complete mess the Western governments have made over the pandemic.

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

There are driverless busses running in Scotland now with a driver present obviously.

We almost had this in Erdington in the 1970's. The number 65 used to drive up the middle of the dual carriageway in Short Heath with the driver sat at the wheel, dutifully not steering but controlling the throttle and brakes.

Steering was controlled by a pair of roller wheels which guided the bus between two high kerbs.

Before that, we had trams on that route, but I was only a babe in arms at that time.

Funny how these ideas loop round every now and then.