Cigarette lighter always live

Hi, I use my car radio (Columbus) to stream media but find it very temperamental. It doesn’t alway connect and takes ages to boot up.
In another car (also VAG) I use a Bluetooth fm transmitter which I plug into the cigarette light socket. It works really well and powers down when I switch off the ignition. It also works really well in the Superb but the lighter socket is not controlled by the ignition and I have to remember to pull it out or risk the battery (I forgot at the airport recently and came back to a very flat battery). 
Is there any way to make the socket power off with the ignition? I saw on another site something about moving the fuse but it was a dash cam thread and it wasn’t expanded upon. 

On some cars you could move the fuse between two positions , bridging the top two contacts gave permanent on and bridging the lower two gave ignition on.

That is not the case with the superb cabin fuse box. Of course you could cut the wire at the back of the fuse box and using the correct VAG fuse adaption part connect it to one of the ignition live rails.

I would have concerns messing with the factory wiring though.

I have an extra two 12v cigarette sockets mounted on top of the drivers coin box (hidden from view so may not suit you) which are connected to ignition live via a fuse break out lead. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use a PCT Automotive Split Charge Relay ZR1220 plugged into the boot socket - disconnects output when engine off / not charging. In my case it feeds two inline sockets 1) for a dash cam and 2) for a coolbox. The latter would soon flatten the battery without it!

[EDIT - link:-]  https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCT-Automotive-Split-Charge-ZR1220/dp/B07KJTNG7V/ref=asc_df_B07KJTNG7V/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310869310714&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2369054140752903766&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006514&hvtargid=pla-761793639295&psc=1

However doesn't your car have Bluetooth anyway? Even on my poverty spec I can connect everything with Bluetooth - I have an Amazon Echo Auto controlling my phone which is connected to the car all reliably via Bluetooth. Or is that the bit that's temperamental? How about the aux socket instead - a previous phone had temperamental bluetooth so I used that for a while.

Edited by bigjohn

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if leaving a usb charger adapter in will drain the battery rapidly? I always unplug it when I remember. The car I bought has had a new battery in the past and wasn’t sure if this may of been the reason? Cheers 

Just now, bigjohn said:

I leave a USB connector plugged in front and rear, not connected to any devices and I've never had any issues re battery drain.

cheers John 👍 how long have you been doing that for out of interest? 

1 minute ago, ADS1 said:

cheers John 👍 how long have you been doing that for out of interest? 

Re one USB charger, Tomtom twin adapter, since I got the car back in 2015. I replaced my car battery during lockdown (at 5 years old) but it was the original Moll battery which don't have the best reputation. I ran similar devices in my previous 2003 mkI Superb owned from 2005 for 10 years on the original Varta battery - no issues. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2024 at 12:37, citation said:

Try this1879638825_Cigarettesocket.thumb.jpg.d4322c1f2a97c162be33a178da2b44f9.jpg

Very neat solution. Much better than me moving the supply from permanent live to switched.