What is the best MPG you have achieved?

Out of interest what do people achieve when they try?

On my 30mile drive home a few weeks ago I got the following.

I reckon I could have got a bit more a well as I had to stop at a few traffic lights

IMG_20220323_180158.jpg

Best I've ever done was about 64mpg on a journey of about 10 miles was just after filling up so already warmed up etc doing lowish speeds but negotiating a couple of roundabouts and a couple of set of traffic lights. 

My usual average is about 46mpg but over 50mpg is achievable on long runs - but mine drinks from the green unleaded pump.

10 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Best I've ever done was about 64mpg on a journey of about 10 miles was just after filling up so already warmed up etc doing lowish speeds but negotiating a couple of roundabouts and a couple of set of traffic lights. 

My usual average is about 46mpg but over 50mpg is achievable on long runs - but mine drinks from the green unleaded pump.

Not too bad for a fairly heavy petrol car

To @matnrach - I believe that the board computer show little than real consumption especially in low speeds. I have no time to do some tests and may be some "VCDS" corrections but my record is 3.7 Liters for 100 Kilometers shown on my board computer on my "Skoda Superb 2 Facelift Combi, 2014, 2.0TDI, 170hp, 4х4, 6DSG" on one trip about 300 Kilometers with almost constant speed of 80 km/h on autopilot :)

Edited by tuningmania

Best I ever managed on the Maxidot was just over 90mpg on my 66 mile commute home. Clear run on motorway and dual carriageways on a very hot summer evening. I was really going for the mpg on this run! 

Same journey but normal driving in the summer I average around 720 to 750 miles on the odometer from a 54 litre tank run close to minimum. It’s a 1.6 litre Greenline diesel. 

The Maxidot for me is relatively accurate based on real tank range and refill amount. 

010B1336-493E-431F-BD66-F6E58FAD80D4.jpeg

E5BEE9F8-286D-4C3D-AFCD-D57BBE7F9CDA.jpeg

Edited by Jules Tohpipi

I have a 2l Diesel 140 Estate which I have corrected the on board computer with VCDS.

Previously it was about 8% optimistic, now it is fairly accurate, slightly under reads if anything.

Did a journey from London up to Cheshire 2 Sundays ago, M1 / M6 170 miles.

Set the cruise to 62MPH on the Motorway which was 90% of the journey & arrived home with 69 MPG for the journey, which I thought was quite good.

• 5 weeks later...

My 2013 Superb Estate 4 x 4 diesel Auto 140bhp, has averaged just over 40mpg in the 9 years I have had it which I dont think is too bad for a big car.
The maxidot has been15% above the tank to tank figure.
Best 'real time' mpg I have averaged across a tank full is 47mpg.

• Like 1

The most that I've got in the Superb iV is 187.48 mpg and I managed to do 1,643 miles before I needed to refuel, not bad for a 50 litre tank. Don't ask me how I managed to do that because I don't have a clue.

Screenshot_20220626-110014_My Cars.jpg

• Haha 1

I'd used 375.6 kWh of electricity.  All of the charges were done on free public chargers and I was charging whenever I had the opportunity, even if it was just for 15 minutes. If I had been charging at home at the current  day rate it would have cost 7p per mile. I still had just under a quarter tank of petrol left when I filled up the tank, I just got bored trying to see how many miles I could get out of the 50 litre tank.

• Thanks 1

I live on the Mallaig to Armadale Ferry Rd where cars are doing 30 to 40mph in the national speed limit rd with signs! Camper vans can be at 30mph for miles.

So we overtake a few. It's a very straight Rd with no house or side rds, sheep and deer can be a nuisance though.

Once I pass I put it out of Sports, still drinks a lot though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back a weeks holiday in the Peak District.  Two long runs on the M6 south/north, car fully loaded plus roof box, tyre pressures adjusted.

2014, 2.0 tdi 140 CFFB 4x4 manual Estate

Average MPG with a combination of cruise control or feathering pedal was 42 - 47MPG with some peaks of 54MPG.

In 6 years of ownership typical MPG has been 42 pretty much constant.

Always try to use VPower Diesel or BP Ultimate, however with the current fuel prices it is a thought to keep using the premium fuels 🥵

Its away for its MOT today....fingers crossed !

• Like 1