Dsg fail in emergency mode. No reverse gear.

Hello to all friends from the forum.  I will tell you about my superb adventure which ended with a ride on a tow truck. 

My car is 2016 Skoda superb 2.0tdi 150hp dsg6 (dq250) actual millage 52k miles. 

While driving on the highway, the car lost all gears and on the computer screen I had information about the gearbox failure.  I had to call a tow truck and the car went to the skoda service.  

I'm lucky in the whole situation that I was persuaded in Skoda Northampton to take the Skoda all-in plan, so the whole thing was fixed at no cost to me.

The first diagnosis of the service is a mechatronics failure.  A new mechatronics was ordered and it turned out that, unfortunately, it did not help.  The car still did not run.  I waited for the decisions of the Skoda headquarters to approve the replacement of the DSG box with a new one.  The whole thing took 5 weeks before I got my car back, but the skoda service replaced my dsg gearboxes with a brand new one at no cost + they paid for a replacement car which i used for 5 weeks. 

So I am honestly satisfied with the Skoda service.  I especially recommend the service in Northampton for professional service.  now I have a question for colleagues from tdi dsg, does each of your cars have gas reaction lag?  I am terribly annoyed with how the dsg box works and I am going to sell this car.

Regards Lukas

0FD0702B-339E-408C-96F6-7CAC996FD223.jpeg

17070DB6-5EDB-491A-AE08-5D36C1EAD86D.jpeg

But it shouldn't have happened anyway.  The dsg dq250 is a wet clutch box.  Mine had oil changed at 35k miles in Skoda service and at 50k miles it broke.
 My friends' audi a3  s-tronic a few days ago had the same fault (it's also dsg) at 80k miles.  Here on the forum I saw someone had such a situation at 30k miles. So vw quality is a joke.  I'm going to sell my Skoda and buy a Lexus.  they give a guarantee of up to 10 years.

I don't see the problem here.

You literally bet on your car having an expensive, catastrophic failure, and you won the bet. The cost of the repairs far exceed the cost of the warranty.

No only that, but the warranty sorted out all your needs by providing you with a replacement car during repairs.

Now, you have a six year-old car, with a brand new gearbox.

What is the problem you have that buying a Lexus will solve?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kacluk said:

But it shouldn't have happened anyway.  The dsg dq250 is a wet clutch box.  Mine had oil changed at 35k miles in Skoda service and at 50k miles it broke.
 My friends' audi a3  s-tronic a few days ago had the same fault (it's also dsg) at 80k miles.  Here on the forum I saw someone had such a situation at 30k miles. So vw quality is a joke.  I'm going to sell my Skoda and buy a Lexus.  they give a guarantee of up to 10 years.

According to the website t

he standard Lexus warranty is 3 years or 60 00 miles which can be extended to 10 years but at extra cost. The hybrid system is guaranteed for 5 years or 6000miles

Edited by gkr47
amended

lexus warranty is extended at no extra cost.  you just need to do a service in lexus and you have the warranty extended by another year, up to 10 years.

• Love it! 1

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

What is the problem you have that buying a Lexus will solve?

So longer warranty up to 10years, much better sound insulation because Skoda is very loud as a car.  Even with 68bd tires it is very loud inside the car (roud nosie) .  
Dsg- I'm sick of this lag every time I press the gas pedal. every Skoda I drove (scala, octavia, superb, fabia) tdi/tsi engine has this lag-  this is how dsg works.  

And lexus won't have that cheesy dpf. Regeneration every 150-170 miles is annoying to me. Even making a trip to my country 1,200 miles one way, the regeneration was on every 350 miles  and the last one me when I reached my destination and wanted to shut down the engine.  I am using a vagdpf application which shows exactly what is going on with the dpf filter.  hence I have never had a problem with the dpf light on the dashboard. 

Just now, gkr47 said:

Could the lag be turbo lag? Dsg is usually very quick.

I bet more on soft eco in the dsg box.  The shift points are too low.  Driving  at 40-45mph it can already hit 6th gear🤦‍♂️.
  My friend's 2013 seat Leon with the same engine and DSG runs smoothly and completely different.  Every newer Skoda I have driven has this lag.  I also tried a mazda6 and BMW 5 with a torque converter and it is much better, more comfortable there.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kacluk said:

I bet more on soft eco in the dsg box.  The shift points are too low.  Driving  at 40-45mph it can already hit 6th gear

And the problem is? I sometimes drive a Honda Jazz 1.2l, and it will happily drive at 40mph in 6th gear on a level road.

Just now, KenONeill said:

And the problem is? I sometimes drive a Honda Jazz 1.2l, and it will happily drive at 40mph in 6th gear on a level road.

Petrol is not diesel.  It's unhealthy for the engine-on low revs engine produce more soot.  It is also not healthy for the DMF and the crankshaft.  

5 hours ago, kacluk said:

Every newer Skoda I have driven has this lag.  

This is nothing to do with the DSG box, it’s the drive-by-wire throttle pedal. Get a pedal box and it disappears, even in bypass mode. Given the millions of vehicles with DSG boxes globally, the numbers of failures are minuscule, albeit it’s bloody annoying if it happens to you. 
Unless you’re going to buy a RX Lexus or above, you’re buying a badge engineered Toyota and yes, perhaps you will find them marginally quieter than the Superb diesel, but that won’t be a surprise given they do not make s diesel. 
You’ll be buying the 10 year warranty over that 10 year service period, via in an uplift in the service costs and it’ll be underwritten by an insurer, but it’ll be transparent to the owner. I had the misfortune to have a CT200h for a while. An underpowered, poorly built car and noisy with it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kacluk said:

So longer warranty up to 10years, much better sound insulation because Skoda is very loud as a car.  Even with 68bd tires it is very loud inside the car (roud nosie) .  
Dsg- I'm sick of this lag every time I press the gas pedal. every Skoda I drove (scala, octavia, superb, fabia) tdi/tsi engine has this lag-  this is how dsg works.  

And lexus won't have that cheesy dpf. Regeneration every 150-170 miles is annoying to me. Even making a trip to my country 1,200 miles one way, the regeneration was on every 350 miles  and the last one me when I reached my destination and wanted to shut down the engine.  I am using a vagdpf application which shows exactly what is going on with the dpf filter.  hence I have never had a problem with the dpf light on the dashboard.

Fair enough, sounds like you really don't like your Superb. Given the aggro you've had, I can see why you've thrown your hands up and said "ENOUGH!".

I hope you find a suitable new car that pleases you. 👍

10 hours ago, kacluk said:

IMHO, you cannot compare a Lexus (ES 300H?) which is considered as premium car, to with Skoda Superb which doesn't belong to the same category.

For instance, an ES 300h is several thousands £ more expensive than a Superb (even an iV one). So the price difference may probably be higher than the total bill for a DSG box full replacement at your own costs...

Sorry but I don't really understand the purpose of such a comparison. 

This being said, I don't even discuss that you don't like Skoda anymore. It's your right.  

52 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

IMHO, you cannot compare a Lexus (ES 300H?) which is considered as premium car, to with Skoda Superb which doesn't belong to the same category.

have i mentioned es300h anywhere?  Or is it just your imagination? 😅

You didn't but size wise it is the equivalent Lexus and costs 30% more than a Superb - you might want to look at their servicing costs as well.

They are largely re-badged and tweaked Toyotas with different bodies on a Toyota platform - same engines and electronics (although Toyota may not import cars with those engines to the UK they use them in other markets).  It is a brand aimed at taking money off the richer people who would never be seen in a  Toyota - similar relationships exist with Nissan/Infiniti and Seat/Skoda/VW/Audi.

Personally I find all autos have a lag, one of the reasons I drive a manual.

Edited by IJWS15
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kacluk said:

have i mentioned es300h anywhere?  Or is it just your imagination? 😅

No you didn't. But the ES300h is the only Lexus that has an equivalent size to a Superb.

Otherwise, I still even more don't understand the purpose of the comparison... But it's not very important.