1.5DSG vs 1.6TDI DSG

Deanshirt90

Hi Folks,

I used to be an existing member some years ago, I owned a mk1 fabia VRS and to this day it was probably my favourite car I have owned.

I currently drive a Golf R Estate, however I have now bought a new house so im hoping to reduce my bills. My mileage is typically 12k per year. Most of this being 50m motorway journeys every weekend.

I think the Skoda Karoq would be great for this, I also need this to be the main family car. My question is......

I have seen both 1.5dsg and 1.6tdi DSG. I don't have any preference. The pricing is also very similar. Does anybody have any real world experience in what to expect MPG wise for them both. Im looking for DSG if im honest. Thanks in advance!

Had my 1.5dsg petrol Karoq from new and its just past 10k after having it a year. Long term MPG shows 43.5mpg which is acceptable I think for a petrol SUV. Sometimes see 50mpg on a trip if I drive like my Dad...

Diesel is cheaper per mile in fuel, but the initial extra purchase price, issues with DPFs and regeneration and the increasingly anti-diesel attitudeof some councils made it a petrol no-brainer for me. This may be different if second-hand values of diesels fall significantly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Deanshirt90 said:

Hi Folks,

I used to be an existing member some years ago, I owned a mk1 fabia VRS and to this day it was probably my favourite car I have owned.

I currently drive a Golf R Estate, however I have now bought a new house so im hoping to reduce my bills. My mileage is typically 12k per year. Most of this being 50m motorway journeys every weekend.

I think the Skoda Karoq would be great for this, I also need this to be the main family car. My question is......

I have seen both 1.5dsg and 1.6tdi DSG. I don't have any preference. The pricing is also very similar. Does anybody have any real world experience in what to expect MPG wise for them both. Im looking for DSG if im honest. Thanks in advance!

I have the face lift 2 litre 150PS manual diesel, so clearly not the same.

just had it for 2 weeks now and my stats are 763 miles @ 55.3 mpg.

I have had a 400 mile round trip at 61.4 mpg there (motorway for three quarters of the way and a couple of 50mph sections)

55.3 mpg on way back but into wind and no 50mph sections.

The lowest I have recorded so far is when I drove from the dealership to fuel it up and then home a 6 miles journey at 45.5 mpg

I haven't had any rush hour type traffic yet, so that will be much worse but I have had commute journeys.

I am also just back from a Nottinghamshire to Stoke 60 mile journey. A38 and A52 no good ups and a good run 57.6 mpg there and 55.3 mpg back.

I am taking it steady at the moment with it being new, so I guess the consumption will go down when I am not as careful but people keep saying that it could improve when it loosens up.

I went for the diesel due to the type of journeys I do but everyone uses their car in different ways.

There is no 1.6tdi in current Karoq range, so won’t be able to buy a new one anyway

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/c63f4efb-a760-4a48-931f-baad88d42aa6

The diesel in real world will probably do nearer mid 50s mpg, vs mid 40s mpg for the petrol, so gaining about 20-25% mileage.

However diesel is currently about 10% more to buy (and about 20% of UK diesel comes from Russia) so price could go up if we ever get serious about sanctions 

Factor in the additional cost to buy the diesel.  Roughly at current prices, the petrol will cost you about £2500 per year for fuel, the diesel £2250 per year, but fuel prices are so volatile, no idea when or if you would recover the extra purchase cost

On 28/05/2022 at 19:36, Deanshirt90 said:

Hi Folks,

Our 1.5dsg petrol is used exclusively around town. Worst case scenario is winter where it'll return approx high 30's. In warmer weather it's low 40's. However if I do use it on a longer run it's high 40's. Best case scenario - longer journey on A roads driving with economy in mind in summer, it's low 50's

Diesel - v- Petrol? All depends on how you drive car. Are you being honest with yourself tho? You say you drive 12k a year, most of this being 50m motorway journeys every weekend?  Well 52 weekends x 50m is only 2.6k.  That's not most, it's only a small percentage. What about the remaining 9.4k ?  

In nearly every scenario I come across these days, unless you have a need for diesel then it would take a huge annual mileage before the diesel -v- petrol break even point is reached.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

On 30/05/2022 at 09:45, kodiaqsportline said:

Our 1.5dsg petrol is used exclusively around town. Worst case scenario is winter where it'll return approx high 30's. In warmer weather it's low 40's. However if I do use it on a longer run it's high 40's. Best case scenario - longer journey on A roads driving with economy in mind in summer, it's low 50's

Diesel - v- Petrol? All depends on how you drive car. Are you being honest with yourself tho? You say you drive 12k a year, most of this being 50m motorway journeys every weekend?  Well 52 weekends x 50m is only 2.6k.  That's not most, it's only a small percentage. What about the remaining 9.4k ?  

In nearly every scenario I come across these days, unless you have a need for diesel then it would take a huge annual mileage before the diesel -v- petrol break even point is reached.

Sorry I didn’t explain myself well. Each weekend I drive from Staffordshire to Manchester and back twice. So around 220m per weekend. The only other mileage I do is around 20miles per week getting to nursery and the gym. So yes mainly my mileage is motorway mileage. 

I have to update you, I managed to get my hands on a 69plate 1.6tdi dsg and it’s done it’s first 200m trip this weekend. I cannot believe how good it is on fuel. I suppose anything would seem good coming from a golf r estate though 

thanks 

3 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Ah that's explains it. What sort of MPG were you seeing from the diesel? 

On the 200m journey mix of A roads and motorways, it returned 58mpg. Now driven around time along, it seems the long term average is sat around 51mpg 

Did our regular trip down to mid France yesterday. First decent run in the Karoq. It was a joy on the toll roads, especially as there was very little traffic.

Not overly impressed with the consumption figures, but hey ho.

Last time I did this trip was in a loan diesel VW Golf (our car was not built, so the dealer leant us a brand new one!), that one managed nearly double the mileage per gallon.

Having said that I prefer the Karoq.

5DA17547-A0AA-494B-B610-5B43241D306C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

Did our regular trip down to mid France yesterday. First decent run in the Karoq. It was a joy on the toll roads, especially as there was very little traffic.

Last time I did this trip was in a loan diesel VW Golf (our car was not built, so the dealer leant us a brand new one!), that one managed nearly double the mileage per gallon.

What engine is this one matey?

6 hours ago, vegit8 said:

Mine is the same engine and and DSG and  that's what I would expect. I have to consciously work at it to get it up above 42 mpg.   I have never reached 50. The only time I could get it to a regular high 40's was when there was a long stretch of the A14 past Cambridge with a 40mph limit. 

tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sanqhar said:

Mine is the same engine and and DSG and  that's what I would expect

TBH, this was an awful lot of Cruise Control mileage at whatever the max speed allowable at the time was. 

I tend to cross reference the speedo with WAZE, the latter seems to be often identical to the ‘speed on a stick’ signs that you see around the UK. Whereas the car seems to be about 10% faster (76 car = 70 true and so on)

One advantage of the electronic display is that you can show Kmh but also retain miles for distance

Using Cruise Control can use more fuel than driving the same route without cruise control and lifting off the accelerator into corners etc.

But then engine / gearbox type and when you get 'Coasting function' can save fuel better than when using Cruise Control if you have your toe off the accelerator when not needed. 

All about road / journey type. 

Some just drive like they have always driven at the speeds they drive and they just buy fuel as and when needed and hypermiling or driving for economy is not something they think about but maybe economy comes naturally the way they do drive even using cruise control.

Edited by roottoot

16 hours ago, roottoot said:

Using Cruise Control can use more fuel than driving the same route without cruise control and lifting off the accelerator into corners etc

Yes, I agree. CC cannot see the road ahead and will keep powering on regardless of the fact that the car needs to slow down or use less fuel just up the road.

Having said that you have to offset the cost of a slightly lower MPG against ankle ache caused by holding the accelerator in a set position for miles on end.

• Like 1

Miles on end of being able to hold a speed and not bring up and down the speed is a whole different thing really. 

Many find that sitting with a right foot doing nothing is what gives a dead foot, calf or what ever. 

Left foot redundant on an Auto is somehow different....

21 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

Mine is the same engine and and DSG and  that's what I would expect. I have to consciously work at it to get it up above 42 mpg.   I have never reached 50. The only time I could get it to a regular high 40's was when there was a long stretch of the A14 past Cambridge with a 40mph limit. 

tom

Agreed.  All these folk with a 1.5tsi and getting 50-55-60mpg etc. used to make me worry that my car was faulty.  For my 1.5Tsi DSG I get around 38-40Mpg on a good run and very occasionally 42Mpg if I drive ultra carefully.   On a short run (few miles) in hilly area it can be as low as 30Mpg.  On a fast motorway run (80-85mph) for an hour or more it is around 35Mpg (not that I would do that of course - it would be illegal).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smipx said:

Agreed.  All these folk with a 1.5tsi and getting 50-55-60mpg etc. used to make me worry that my car was faulty.  For my 1.5Tsi DSG I get around 38-40Mpg on a good run and very occasionally 42Mpg if I drive ultra carefully.   On a short run (few miles) in hilly area it can be as low as 30Mpg.  On a fast motorway run (80-85mph) for an hour or more it is around 35Mpg (not that I would do that of course - it would be illegal).

I suspect what you have said is  fairly typical for most of us 1.5. DSG owners in the real world ?

Edited by mistac

Although - I was stuck behind a van today for the entire journey (at around 40mph) and for a laugh I tried to eek it out as much as possible and after 5 miles I was at 49.7Mpg - I thought I was going to hit the ne'er before seen (by me) holy grail of 50Mpg but the journey came to an end 1/2 mile too soon 🙂

Edited by smipx

There seems to be quite a mpg difference between E10 standard unleaded and E5 premium unleaded.  Some have reported about 8% better mileage (rising upto 14% in city driving) with premium

I have seen premium from about 8p / litre extra (about 5%) to about 14p extra (about 9%) so usually seems that tsi engines better overall run on premium

Probably explains why some can get nearer 50-55mpg and others are saying nearer 45mpg depending on which grade of unleaded they are run on

On 08/06/2022 at 15:13, smipx said:

Although - I was stuck behind a van today for the entire journey (at around 40mph) and for a laugh I tried to eek it out as much as possible and after 5 miles I was at 49.7Mpg - I thought I was going to hit the ne'er before seen (by me) holy grail of 50Mpg but the journey came to an end 1/2 mile too soon 🙂

ps... That was on Asda E10 🙂  49.7 - I know - I thought that was pretty good!!

The only other variable that changed for me was changing over to a new set of Michelin crossclimate 2 SUV's a few weeks ago.  These are "meant" to reduce MPG but I have not found this to be the case so far.  The best I ever got was around 43mpg when driving like a Nun on E10 and the Turanza's and now 49.7.  It may be the summer / winter fuel effect or it might be that the Michelin's are just a much much better tyre (for many many other reasons over fuel consumption)??

Of course - they are also much much more expensive 🙂

Best £586 investment I ever made on any car I have ever had!!. Wish I'd changed those old "ditch finders" on day 1. It's like a different car - quieter, holds the road better, virtually no wheelspin (even in damp conditions) and I generally feel safer and happier with them.  The Turanza's were like Fred Flintsone's feet in his car - moving like the clappers and going nowhere - if it was even a tiny bit hilly and damp). My DSG can now do "its thing" like its meant to. 

Excited Happy Hour GIF by Boomerang Official

Who knows?!?

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, smipx said:

Wish I'd changed those old "ditch finders" on day 1

FWIW, that’s what I did (well not exactly the first day) but very shortly after. I expect these are partly the reason for my lowly MPG…. But as you say, the improvement over the OEM tyres is more than compensation.