12v socket in boot

Doubt it makes much difference but is the 12v socket in an estate always live?

So ignition off, does it still provide power to whatever is connected? 

I don’t have anything 12v to test at the moment but I’m hoping when ignition off and car locked there’s no power to it

Thanks

Was hoping it wasn’t but I’ll keep looking for what I need, which is a fan in the boot for doggo but I was hoping I could plug it in and leave it, or I need to find a fan with an on/off switch.

9 hours ago, Danoid said:

Thanks

Was hoping it wasn’t but I’ll keep looking for what I need, which is a fan in the boot for doggo but I was hoping I could plug it in and leave it, or I need to find a fan with an on/off switch.

It’s a lot more effort but if you wanted something more permanent you could run the power wire to the front of the car and connect it with a switch and a fuse tap on an ignition only source. 

that way you still have user control but you also don’t have to worry about it staying on once the car is off :) 

13 hours ago, Danoid said:

Thanks

We use ours to run a cool box that held upright with a bungee strap.  It's especially useful at this time of year if we go shopping in Merthyr Tydfil at Tescos, Asda, etc as it's a 20 mile journey or when we go away to keep drinks and food cool.

We simply turn it in or off by plugging or unplugging it as needed.  Could you do this for your fan as I'd have thought you'd be opening the tailgate to let the dog in and out anyway?

6 hours ago, Penpusher said:

We use ours to run a cool box that held upright with a bungee strap.  It's especially useful at this time of year if we go shopping in Merthyr Tydfil at Tescos, Asda, etc as it's a 20 mile journey or when we go away to keep drinks and food cool.

We simply turn it in or off by plugging or unplugging it as needed.  Could you do this for your fan as I'd have thought you'd be opening the tailgate to let the dog in and out anyway?

I’ll probably end up unplugging it, just if it’s quiet I’m bound to forget 😞

I did find a fab yesterday with an on/off switch but I’ll still be in the same dilemma of forgetting, but no other way really.

I wish car designers had dogs and would put in rear air vents, be so much better :D there are cars with ac vents but all 7 seaters and no need for that

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 20:07, nicknorman said:

It is permanently live. However I think the power management system will shut it off if the battery gets perilously low.

I found out the hard way last summer that it doesn't shut off the power to the boot socket, at least on mine, when I left a cool box plugged in overnight by mistake - fortunately I was in a city and the AA were quick to come and resolve my shortage of electricity 😀

15 hours ago, Brockysuperb said:

If you use a crate, open the flap in the back seat and use the central vent for rear passengers?

That’s a great idea but I don’t have a crate, had a few nightmares about them 😞 

You could get one like this that has a remote and is rechargeable so you only plug in as needed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simpeak-Rechargeable-Operation-Adjustment-Function-Black/dp/B094J6J3J4/ref=sr_1_16?crid=S2BHTFB2AZMP&keywords=usb+car+fan+remote&qid=1654394619&sprefix=usb+car+fan+remote%2Caps%2C360&sr=8-16

I just ordered one to try with my dogs - mainly to disperse rampant gas.