Mixed old oil with new in oil change

Hi All

I bought an oil drainer that sucks the oil from the dipstick to make the oil change easier. It was an unbranded version from ebay. It sucked up the oil but it was difficult to see how much although looked the right amount, so I pumped it a few times after it finished to ensure it got it all. 

I then changed the oil filter and put new castrol oil in to find it was full after about 3 and a quarter litres.  I emptied the old oil in a container to find it was about 3 litres. 

Anyway this means there is probably about three quarters of a litre of old oil mixed with just over 3 litres of new oil. 

Do you think this will cause a problem? Am I ok til next change in about a year. 

Thanks in advance 

Is this long life oil that you put in and long life oil that you have left in.  5w 30 FSIII  so VW504 00/ 507 00 ?

It is not going to cause a problem but then hopefully you will change the oil before another 10,000 miles maybe. 

?

How many miles a year do you do,

and how many miles ago was the last oil changed that you were supposed to be changing?

• Like 1

The math makes that about a 20% diluted with old oil.

I agree with roottoot above, if its longlife 3 oil that meets the correct standard and its been in for 10,000 miles or less. Id leave it personally.

• Like 1

Whatever volume you have left in the can you bought be it 1.75 litres, or 0.75 litres then suck that amount of diluted oil out or a little less if it is not on the upper level of the dipstick and replace with new. That will further reduce the dilution.

I use a solid copper tube (an old fuel line) with my vacuum extractor, that way I can feel and hear that it has touched the bottom, the flexible pipes curl upwards.

I also use it to suck out the oil filter housing including the main oil gallery, it pulls up a significant amount of old oil which would otherwise remain.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roottoot said:

Is this long life oil that you put in and long life oil that you have left in.  5w 30 FSIII  so VW504 00/ 507 00 ?

It is not going to cause a problem but then hopefully you will change the oil before another 10,000 miles maybe. 

?

How many miles a year do you do,

and how many miles ago was the last oil changed that you were supposed to be changing?

Thanks so yes car had done 9.5k when due for oil change and put in castrol edge vw504 as below, so it sounds like it might be ok if I change next year after another 9k ? 

Castrol EDGE Professional LongLife III 5W-30 4L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U2H8ZB2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_D05XH10H1FE2M200ET41

Edited by RajaStyle

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

I also use it to suck out the oil filter housing including the main oil gallery, it pulls up a significant amount of old oil which would otherwise remain.

Interesting you mean after you take off the oil filter you put the pipe in there and try extract again? 

And main oil galley you mean where the oil is normally poured under the large oil cap? 

Edited by RajaStyle

Yes, there is a void which must connect to the main oil gallery (I dont think its the pick up pipe) you can see a volume of oil in there but what sucks out is considerably more than the void when revealed empty could have held.

It was the same on my previous PD engine, both had the inverted oil filter withdrawn from the top revealing the baseplate of the pump/cooler unit, maybe the oil was from the cooler.

If you can find the figures there is a different (larger) capacity for filling a rebuilt engine to that of an oil and filter change, my method removes close to the former figure.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

• Sponsor
22 hours ago, RajaStyle said:

Hi All

I bought an oil drainer that sucks the oil from the dipstick to make the oil change easier. It was an unbranded version from ebay. It sucked up the oil but it was difficult to see how much although looked the right amount, so I pumped it a few times after it finished to ensure it got it all. 

I then changed the oil filter and put new castrol oil in to find it was full after about 3 and a quarter litres.  I emptied the old oil in a container to find it was about 3 litres. 

Anyway this means there is probably about three quarters of a litre of old oil mixed with just over 3 litres of new oil. 

Do you think this will cause a problem? Am I ok til next change in about a year. 

Thanks in advance 

It will be fine, I would leave as is.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

Sorry to "steal" this thread but I have a question about oil for the 2.0 TDI 150. I recently needed to top up my oil during a trip (I hope this is not an issue, never asked before between services, but Skoda says it's normal consumption...) and bought the Castrol Edge 5W30 Long life, which has the correct specifications. However, I see that Skoda recommends the castrol Edge Professional Long life III. Should I just return this one or is this fine? Any real advantages in using the Pro LL III? I was told that in Portugal, Skoda dealerships use oil from our national refinery brand "galp", which probably costs a fraction of the castrol (same specs, hopefully).

Cheers!

• Like 1

Use the oil to VW 507 00 so the 5w 30 FS III.   Skoda / VW recommendation of Castrol counts for nothing or what name it has.  'professional '.  At a main dealers you might get Quantum / Fuchs oil.  The spec matters.  Castrol is nothing special.  Note Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French manufacturers do not recommend Castrol.  But then they have no special partnership with them. 

Edited by roottoot

OK, thanks! The oil I got is up to the  VW 504 00 / 507 00, Porsche C30 o MB-Approval 229.31/229.53 specs, so I should be good. But, within oils with that spec, what am I best served with then? I got a sticker on the car saying Skoda recommends Catrol, but then I know for a fact they use cheaper oil (hopefully within spec!)

• Like 1

Yep, the oil supplier recommended simply depends on the deal which is done corporately by VW/Skoda. It was Shell on the 2006 and 2011 Superbs we owned. That deal extends to the bulk oil purchased by the authorised dealers so they get an advantageous purchase price and I'd presume upon which VW then get an annual sales rebate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...