Soundproofing?

On the sound insulation thread I wrote my experience.  As a summary, I recommend it.  It takes work and time but it shows a lot.  Trunk, doors, wheel arches, B-pillar and engine hood.  Being the doors what I have noticed the most.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've just sounden the boot area and underneath the rear seat in a 2 stage process and I can happily report that it eliminates 80 - 85% of the road noise.  I was planning to do the rear doors and wheel arch liner however I hold off until Ive tested on the Motorway.

I used 2mm Silent Coat sound deadening then 8mm Noico Red closed-cell polyethylene foam.  I'm on 18" wheels and the noise is mostly likely going to increase if you are on 19"s

• 2 months later...

Interesting read.

Looking at the factory fitted sound deadening that I've come across over the years, it appears that it is targeted at certain areas of the floor pan doors etc, ie not continuous, but a series of patches dotted about the place.

Looking at one of the Silent Coat project reviews, the owner had completely covered every square inch of internal panels. Is this necessary or just a bit of overkill?

Edited by Gammyleg
Boneheadedness.

17 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

Interesting read.

Looking at the factory fitted sound deadening that I've come across over the years, it appears that it is targeted at certain areas of the floor pan doors etc, ie not continuous, but a series of patches dotted about the place.

Looking at one of the Silent Coat project reviews, the owner had completely covered every square inch of internal panels. Is this necessary or just a bit of overkill?

If you were chasing perfection then maybe but otherwise overkill and it adds a lot of weight to the car.

True does add a lot of weight, i would 80% coverage if plenty.  I've sound deaden my boot, rear doors and underneath the rear bench and its made a big difference.

I used Silent coat 2mm and then Noico 4mm foam.  Will do the front probably in spring!