POWER STEERING

Scrathing my head on this one.

I have a 2010 Fabia 1.6 TDI Estate with a power steering problem. It was working fine then just decided to stop. The steering light came on which was amber.

I checked the fluid which was ok and the two fuses which again were ok. I ran the power lead through a meter and its taking just over 5 amps but the steering is very heavy. I think 5 amps is little indicating to me that this is where the fault is. I read it should take around 15-20 amps which will increase when the steering wheel is turned. When I reconnected the battery the amber steering light went out but the steering is still very heavy. I'm reluctant to splash out on a new pump incase the problem is somewhere else.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Did you remove the 50amp fuse on the battery box ? as they are prone to partially fracturing so a quick visual check they look OK you need to unbolt it and have a good close inspection 

Hello All,

Battery voltage before starting is 12.7volts then running its just over 14volts. The fuse was checked and its ok with no fractures. The control fuse is also ok.  Its booked in a mates garage tomorrow for a scan to see what it come back with. I only have a cheap twenty quid scanner which is bringing up no faults where his is a four grand snap on. Although everything points to the pump I want to make sure before I replace it.

Thanks

3 hours ago, FAST1955 said:

Hello All,

Battery voltage before starting is 12.7volts then running its just over 14volts. The fuse was checked and its ok with no fractures. The control fuse is also ok.  Its booked in a mates garage tomorrow for a scan to see what it come back with. I only have a cheap twenty quid scanner which is bringing up no faults where his is a four grand snap on. Although everything points to the pump I want to make sure before I replace it.

Thanks

Assuming the Fabia vRS power steering pumps are the same (which they should be), I have a perfectly working one sat in my work (Warrington) if you need. 

I paid a garage to run a scan on the problem with the power steering and it came back with a  J500 fault code and STEERING ASSIST OPERATION, AND STEERING ASSIST TEMP PROTECTION.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I got a reconditioned pump which came with 3 years unlimited miles warrentee. I got the pump from a company called WESTERN POWER STEERING in Bristol Phone number 0117 960 2906. This company will supply a pump which is coded with your car and it cost me £265.00 but well worth it for the warrentee. The job took me from start to finish about three hours. I wasn't tempted with a scrap yard pump which could fail a week later. Hope this helps.

• Like 1