Doug's Race Blue VRS wagon

Dooge

Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile and thought I'd introduce myself. 

I've had a few VAG cars over the years amongst others, it's been a varied lot!

-Renault 5 1.4, was a bit of a shed!

-Megane 1.6 coupe, was written off quickly

-VW Bora PD 115. Bought as a high mileage hero (148k), replaced interior with leather sports heated seats, lowered, BBS CH alloys, turbo and remap with PD130 bits. Sold at 176k!

-Not mine but my brothers Scirocco Storm. Massive project car that ended up being sold as a running project and is probably in a mid Devon barn rusting away.

-BMW 320cd, immaculate, lowered on B4s and Eibach Pro Kit. Written off when I was run off the road by a Land Rover.

-BMW 330cd, Imola Red (best colour) but was a needy car. Remapped, straight through exhaust, bigger intercooler, custom pipework. Over 300bhp and 450ft LB (limited) it was a rocketship.

DSCF2741.JPG

14042010024.jpg

IMAG0626.jpg

DSC00255.JPG

20150201_165937_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170412_185224.jpg

• Like 1

-Renault Clio 197, Recaro's (so comfy) Miltek exhaust, 200 Cup wheels, great car for fun but not for daily.

-VW Golf MK6 GTi, MK7 alloys, Stage 1 map. Cost lots as changed clutch and cam chain.

Once I found out that my wife are expecting in October the hunt for a bigger car came! Always like VRS's and fancied a DSG. 

After a little while I upped my budget from 10k to 12k to 14k. Found this 15 plate in Norwich. After an epic journey to get it (my flight was cancelled and so jumped in a black cab from Exeter to King's Lynn) I picked it up!

2015 VRS wagon in Race Blue, full Skoda dealer service history, winter pack, black pack, leather, bigger infotainment screen, DAB, Apple carplay/Android Auto activated, cruise control and 19" Xtreme alloys. 

Drove home and was smitten. Not as powerful as the Golf but more civilised and comfortable. DSG is awesome too!

20180226_201918.jpg

20220331_141022.jpg

20220614_114930.jpg

• Like 1

First things first, good clean inside and out. Came up well but still needs a good clay bar and polish. 

Next up was the Pikey airbox mod and blanking plate, helps with airflow and a little with sound.

I also put in LED bulbs in the interior and sidelights, need to code out the error light on the dash. 

I changed the coolant reservoir after the horror stories of the silicone bag splitting, easy job to change and had some coolant left over from the Golf so topped it up.

20220614_115716.jpg

20220614_115737.jpg

20220614_115959.jpg

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 2

Then took the car in for wheel balancing as had a droning from the rear which I thought was either balancing or wheel bearing. Turned out it was neither! 

Nearside rear was badly worn, never seen anything like it but apparently on MQB platformed cars? 

After checking the dates on the tyres, the fronts were 2019 and the rears were 2017! Decided to buy 4 new Goodyears and up the profile to 235 rather than the 225. Fills out the arches nicer and provides slightly more comfort.

Things I plan to do in no particular order:

- Refurb the Xtremes in gloss black.

- New centre caps

- Stage 1 remap, thinking Racingline with DSG map but open to opinions.

- DSG service, plan to use local Skoda dealer.

- 4D plates.

- MK6 Golf battery box to replace soft cover.

- Black plastic bumper protector.

- Paddle extensions.

- Silver and red VRS badges and debadge the Skoda and Octavia badging.

- Possibly hubcentric wheel spacers though toying with that idea as I don't want to upset the handling.

- Replace both rear lights, they are both weirdly crazed. Never seen it and doesn't appear to be a common thing?

- Some coding for LED lights and things like the Audi Throttle adaptation. I'm still making a list but either need to buy VCDS or find someone local who will do this for beer tokens!

20220614_121228.jpg

20220614_121142.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Took the VRS for a proper alignment at a trusted tyre shop, they sorted the front but couldn't do anything about the rear due to being seized. Apparently a common problem, probably going to sort it with some polybushes from Problem Solving Bushes.

20220704_000656.jpg

Went up to Goodwood and took the VRS (LOUD NOISES!) it was pretty epic, spoke to the guys as Racingline too about remaps, though that'll have to wait.

VRS did great, 440 mile round trip in comfort and got 38 mile per gallon. The petrol DSG combo always surprises me at its flexibility and the car did really well. Decided to treat it to a new set of 4d plates and wheel Caps. Annoyingly the caps don't fit, what are the 19" Extreme cap size? I thought it was 56mm but they seemed really loose.

Next up will be a DSG service as its not far off 85k (supposedly done at 82k before purchasing but no proof) and was last done at 42k.

20220704_001529.jpg

Edited by Dooge

10 hours ago, Dooge said:

.... what are the 19" Extreme cap size? I thought it was 56mm but they seemed really loose.

I might be wrong, but 57.1mm springs to mind.

Gaz

• Like 1

On 04/07/2022 at 11:06, Gaz said:

I might be wrong, but 57.1mm springs to mind.

Gaz

I ended up pulling one original wheel cap today off today, measuring the clips at the back. 53mm, the aftermarket ones are 52mm. I did leave the aftermarket ones in the garage in the sun and after checking them they were not stuck down properly. I managed to peel one off very easily. Eventually got the knackered fascia off the original wheel cap and stuck the new fascia on and it's worked! I'll get the rest done tomorrow, not bad for a £8.

Ignore the above!

I've managed to get the other 3 sorted, it was very easy and didn't even need to take the wheels off! The original cap fascias are held on with a blob of silicone. I ended up levering one side of the old fascia up and being able to pull the cap off the alloy. Once I took the old fascia off the cap itself, I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and let it dry.

Luckily because I bought some of the cheapest on eBay all of them were not stuck down properly. Although they have double sided on the back of all of the fascia because they are domed the only bit that sticks is the edges. If I did it again I'd add some silicone for added security.

I got some photos but I am guessing due to forum limits I seem to have run out of space to upload.

• 4 weeks later...

Another small update - I need to find out how to get hosted photos on here!

Ever since I bought the car a small thing that annoyed me was the rubber on the boot release had torn from use. I looked up how to change it and did some Googling, finding it on a Skoda supplier's website for an eye watering £131.54!! Needless to say I wasn't going to pay that, eBay to the rescue. £20 later and I had another boot release handle. 10 minutes of faff (getting the large black plastic panel back on was 8 minutes of the faff) and it worked perfectly 🤟

After finding out the rear toe adjustment was seized I figured I would sort it out. £26 for the genuine bolts and £65 for the Powerflex bushes I hope to have it sorted soon. Booked in with the alignment shop for a 2 weeks time.

I have enquired on some of the Facebook groups about swapping seats from leather to the later black and red diamond patterned fabric seats. I've always thought fabric was comfier but leather more practical. Full leather seems rare so hopefully someone will be interested in a swap.

DSG service next month, although after that my spending on the car will have to be limited due to expecting our first baby in October! 

• Like 2

Has anyone swapped from leather to fabric? Pro's/con's? I'm looking at swapping mine for later diamond patterned fabric ones but don't know if its worth it?

Edited by Dooge

Afraid I can’t help you with the swap on the Octavia but I went the other way with my old Astra VXR and had the half leather seats fully re-trimmed in leather to match the car. Yes it looked great but after a while the leather sagged in the old foam seats and I found it uncomfortable in hot/cold extremes so I can see where you are coming from.

I believe there are variations on the seat spec for the FL, with half leather/faux alcantara/heating options available depending on your budget. Having said that I really like the standard cloth seats in my vRS.

At 5 years old they are showing no signs of wear. They clean up nicely too using Autoglym Interior Shampoo although I haven’t got around to treating them to a protectant for that practical element yet!

Edited by CookieMonster87

22 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

Afraid I can’t help you with the swap on the Octavia but I went the other way with my old Astra VXR and had the half leather seats fully re-trimmed in leather to match the car. Yes it looked great but after a while the leather sagged in the old foam seats and I found it uncomfortable in hot/cold extremes so I can see where you are coming from.

I believe there are variations on the seat spec for the FL, with half leather/faux alcantara/heating options available depending on your budget. Having said that I really like the standard cloth seats in my vRS.

At 5 years old they are showing no signs of wear. They clean up nicely too using Autoglym Interior Shampoo although I haven’t got around to treating them to a protectant for that practical element yet!

Thanks buddy! Turns out the ones he wanted to offer me are the standard pre facelift ones which I don't mind but didn't seem like a fair swap. I've looked around for the diamond patterned ones for a facelift finding some on eBay but they are selling the rear seat, drivers seat and passenger seat separately at a fair cost. 

I might stick with the leather, I've dyed leather before and am wondering about dying the grey stripe to red for a unique twist. 

On another note I've got the rear toe adjust bushes booked in for fitting and tracking and alignment. They are also sorting some tweaks in VCDS for the LED sidelights and genuine VAG LED numberplate lights which is a winner.

9 hours ago, jordy_wd said:

Looks great. Would you have before and after photos of the tyre size change?

Thanks, I probably have a few before the tyre change. Not that it's square on but the one at the top below my list of previous cars is definitely before tyre change. If you are considering it I would do it, MPG hasn't been affected, road noise is less (my rears were heavily stepped anyway) and with the larger tyres being a more standard size they were cheaper per tyre too. I didn't drive it like Damon Hill before the tyre change so I can't say if its made a difference to handling but it wouldn't have made it worse. 

And from an aethestic perspective it looks better, the tyres fill the arches a bit better. Once I figure out the best way to host a few more photos I will get some comparisons up. Here's a few from a drive with a mates MK5 GTi recently.

20220811_062022.thumb.jpg.6a3343a1bc55fe999a5647c9c3106aab.jpg

20220811_062155.thumb.jpg.e90f1e1117f7828106f1e44eb759d0cc.jpg

20220811_062450.thumb.jpg.09a9e9a166389737223b2c6984410bdf.jpg

and the replacement boot handle.

20220811_062115.thumb.jpg.14a45869ae7de0d780bed4d27b072f89.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the new bushes installed and tracking done! Took them a few hours to get sorted and a little fiddling to get the alignment correct due to everything settling a little. 

20220819_161913.thumb.jpg.755e9dfdb4e5986f1730df6883a65030.jpg

They also tried using VCDS to change numberplate lights to LED and sidelights to LED. Despite following the instructions on the main VCDS thread they couldn't sort it. I have found a local chap who could do it but he charges £40 an hour! May scour the threads and see what else he can do. I do want LED rear lights so I may wait for that.

On another note, has anyone dyed some of their leather? I'm thinking about dying the grey inserts on my seats red. I found the following product from the Furniture Clinic for a tenner. 

Screenshot_20220820-215012_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a473ece4858c159c3f6bd03d0db021b5.jpg

Absolutely gutted, managed to kerb my nearside front rim badly on a pokey kerb 🤢 😭

Luckily I had planned to refurb them anyway, just now earlier than I anticipated. Thinking of going black, I haven't seen many race blue with black Xtremes but would match the black pack. The other option would be dark grey/anthracite. Opinions? 

20220828_210258.thumb.jpg.77d69f0a03e4bc8972244c61220d0900.jpg

I also fitted the genuine VAG LED numberplate lights, I fitted these before having the bushes done. They definitely look more modern than the original halogen lights.

20220828_210739.thumb.jpg.18f783f202f70dc637c96200c4a881d4.jpg

I feel your pain.

Fortunately I’ve avoided any curbing on my Gemini however the diamond cut parts are beginning to show a bit of the “white worm” corrosion plus I have a stone chip on one.

Was thinking of going black also, debating having them diamond cut too. IIRC someone on the forum had this done however I haven’t seen a photo of them fitted.

One good thing about having black wheels is that you can get the black Skoda centre caps from Kopacek. These don’t tend to corrode like the silver ones and wouldn’t look out of place unlike on the anthracite/silver wheels.

16 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

I feel your pain.

Fortunately I’ve avoided any curbing on my Gemini however the diamond cut parts are beginning to show a bit of the “white worm” corrosion plus I have a stone chip on one.

Was thinking of going black also, debating having them diamond cut too. IIRC someone on the forum had this done however I haven’t seen a photo of them fitted.

One good thing about having black wheels is that you can get the black Skoda centre caps from Kopacek. These don’t tend to corrode like the silver ones and wouldn’t look out of place unlike on the anthracite/silver wheels.

I've seen a few pics of black Geminis and didn't like them so much but I think it comes down to how they are sat in the wheel arch. If they are stock height with no spacers then look really lost. The Xtremes look lost top tbh so I would look to add some spacers. Also planning a suspension refresh next year so will slowly get all the bits together.

I'll check out the wheel Caps from Super Skoda though 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the wheels refurbed! I went with gloss black in the end and I'm happy with my choice, I really struggled to find a photo of the Extremes in black on a Race Blue car so hopefully the below photos will help someone else in the future. Unfortunately the weather was awful on the hour drive home and now the car is filthy so I need to give it a clean. Initial pics below, definitely needs lows now though!

20220908_205359.thumb.jpg.0fe0b412f33261ef726f58f454e7bbbf.jpg

20220908_205413.thumb.jpg.722fe6cfa3013e3b561bba48d41d3895.jpg

20220908_205426.thumb.jpg.6424877beb5449a5a36e033358384cc7.jpg

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 3

I haven't even had a chance to seal the wheels and bought some more bits!

First up was a mega cheap mod and very easy to fit, hydraulic bonnet struts. I can't believe a car of this premium doesn't come with them. I found out about them through a Facebook group and thought for £14 I couldn't go wrong. 

Fitting meant removing two factory bolts, one 10mm one that joined the front wings to the body and one Torx bolt each side of the hinge mount on the bonnet. I made sure to apply threadlock to all the new bolts and fitting was really easy. Works well and tidies up the engine bay. I'm also not so worried about potentially knocking the bonnet stay when working now. I've put a screenshot of where I bought it from below.

20220915_230009.thumb.jpg.1d44bbb886b280b4a18020d4a48c3f8d.jpg

Screenshot_20220915_225849.thumb.jpg.9d31d93ae31238bc78e6c0ac16a09f0e.jpg

Next thing I've bought I've yet to receive but will help the car in breathing better, if only slightly. It again popped up on a Facebook and for £50 posted I thought why not. 

MTC motorsport intake tube and turbo elbow, the item I've bought has a silver metal elbow but should help when the car eventually gets remapped.

Screenshot_20220915-170253_Chrome.thumb.jpg.53142767db70d6cfc8b0d6d28985c84c.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another few bits done!

Fitted the MTC high flow inlet hose and turbo elbow, very easy to fit. Had to trim 10mm or so from the hose as it seemed too long. I spoke to MTC who were very helpful and said that's common and deliberate by them. Can't say I've really noticed alot of difference but I haven't had a chance to take it out for a spirited drive. I had to order a Mikalor jubilee clamp as struggled to get the original springclip around the silicone hose.

20220925_205130.thumb.jpg.a78173330095d21cc62a7e71faa7261b.jpg

Next up was black wheelbolt covers. I was having a look on eBay at generic Chinese ones and for a little bit extra managed to get genuine Skoda ones.

20220925_205144.thumb.jpg.482dc921b7cdc56220177e1a1248132d.jpg

The car was in desperate need of a good clean and I had to seal the alloys after being sprayed too. Whilst I did that I decided to debadge the back end which looks much cleaner. I was worried it may look chavvy but it helps the original Skoda roundel and VRS logo are still there.

20220925_205239.thumb.jpg.f19ad0424e65f8d746839cf144bb6159.jpg

20220925_205314.thumb.jpg.419a25177db3ca182f5c46a49dfd78cd.jpg

I now have a knock on the front end which I am pretty sure relates to either topmount or ARB links. It happens when the left side is loaded up whilst turning but most noticeable when on full lock. Hopefully it's just ARB links and I can change them myself! 

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had the suspension noise checked out on a very wet Friday, of course the noise had disappeared 😐 They checked everything underneath and suspect its front top mounts. I am planning a big suspension refresh at some point when money allows. From research I am thinking:

Bilstein B4's

Eibach Pro Springs

Genuine VAG front topmounts

Meyle HD droplinks

@Ecomatthas recently confirmed B4's with Eibach springs are a great combo so it's what I am aiming for.

As the weather started changing recently and the colder temps have come in the stop/start functionality hasn't been working. I suspected the battery was getting low but the car was starting fine and I had no warning lights. I came out from work one day to find it not starting and the battery dead. Luckily a colleague with a Toyota Aygo had jump leads and there was just enough juice to get it jumped to get it home 😂

Halfords charged me £147 for fitting and coding a new 5 year battery, this was discounted with a trade card. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any options other than dealer at £270! So many on Facebook groups recommended not getting it coded but I wanted to make sure it was working correctly, assuming Halfords did it correctly 🤷‍♂️

Lastly, I bought some cheap foam sticky back insulation from eBay for a tenner for the boot. Not amazing but I think my poorly tuned ears can detect a slight improvement at motorway speeds. I started by cutting out a shape for the hardboard on the carpet and split at the seam it so I can open it as normal. Then put some around the edges up to the edge of the carpet that cover the wheel arches ensuring I leave a flap for the boot sticker.

20221011_181957.thumb.jpg.69786a062e42e42dd9bff4fbd3af89bb.jpg

20221011_182013.thumb.jpg.1b6073a264abb873ab07a05b3bc35391.jpg

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to report recently! My wife gave birth on Friday 14th so I've been blessed with a baby boy and lack of sleep 😂

The VRS did clock over £86k and as I've saved money on not driving it to and from work (paternity + a few weeks leave) I got it into the local Skoda dealership for a DSG service. Sorted in a day with a free 'health check'. Made me laugh though, due to errors on the dash for LED sidelights and numberplate lights they quoted to replace them... £111!!! Needless to say I didn't take them up on their offer 😳

• Like 2