Do I need to service the air-conditioning to keep my warranty?

My Octavia is two years old so my Skoda garage has called me to book my air-conditioning service.  I haven't had any problems with it so wouldn't normally have it serviced, or I'd service it at a local (cheaper?) garage.

But... as I have another year to go on my official warranty, do I need to get an offiicial Skoda service in case of any air-conditioning problems later on?

Also, does anyone know the current cost of a Skoda air-conditioning service?

2 minutes ago, erehwon13 said:

I'd service it at a local (cheaper?) garage.

1. Not doing an a/c service only affects the a/c system, not say, the engine or transmission.
  2. All you have to do is have the system serviced to Skoda standards by a professional. In the case of an a/c system you have to use a professional to get the work done legally anyway.
  • Like 1

Are they suggesting an A/C service or A/C cleanse? If I remember correctly at my first service on  a 2019 car I was offered an A/C cleanse (I think this is an antibacterial smoke bomb in the cabin, I stand to be corrected) cost £60, I turned it down. I have just had a service at the end of the 3 year warranty that did not include an A/C service. The service history was then checked before I, and they, signed up for an extended 2 year warranty. I confess I am not sure how often an A/C service is required/necessary.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GreenMachine1.6 said:

Are they suggesting an A/C service or A/C cleanse? If I remember correctly at my first service on  a 2019 car I was offered an A/C cleanse (I think this is an antibacterial smoke bomb in the cabin, I stand to be corrected) cost £60, I turned it down. I have just had a service at the end of the 3 year warranty that did not include an A/C service. The service history was then checked before I, and they, signed up for an extended 2 year warranty. I confess I am not sure how often an A/C service is required/necessary.

Definitely an aircon service, though when I tried to book it online (via Skoda) it didn't give my that option.  There was an aircon cleanse though, for about £60 IIRC.  That's interesting that you didn't need an aircon service in your first three years.

I always find it difficult to know what I should/must have and what is being offered as a nice extra.

Neither my 2015 vRS, nor my current 2018 Golf needed their air-con serviced to maintain the warranty.

Gaz

• Like 1

I've had warranty work completed on the car oyself and I've never had the aircon serviced/looked at in line with Skoda.

When I rang up to say I had an aircon problem and need it looked at I said the car was under warranty. They came back at me and stated the car had never had any of its Skoda checks heavily indicating that any warranty work on the aircon would not be covered as I had not kept up with the skoda [aircon] servicing.

Turned out to be user error so no issues.

AC Service is a con. Simple as that.

Your air con system may lose a small amount of gas over time - very small amount - as in 10g out of the 500g over a year. Not enough to cause issues for a good few years to come. 

Say you go for a AC service, all they are doing is sucking the gas out, refilling it to the correct level with a small amount of oil added and kicking it out the door. No pollen filter change, no anti bacterial bomb. 

Say you have 400g of gas in your system and its working just fine, theyre taking your 400, giving you back 500g. They are charging you £140 to simply add 100g of gas to your car although the system was working.

Keep in mind I have someone that comes to me and will fill a system from 0g up to 800g of gas for £100.

Basically AC servicing is the next thing after carbon cleans after nitrogen for your tyres

It all takes money out your pocket and gives you a placebo feeling in return. 

• Like 4

My aircon has started to make a sucking noise now and again. Usually when I start the car or randomly during a drive.

I’ve been advised, in another thread, to have it re-gassed/serviced. This was last done about 2 years ago at the recommended aircon service interval. Still blows cold mind.

My aircon is always on, set at auto and usually between 18 and 21. Curious to see what settings others use if they run for many years without requiring a service/re-gas.

1 hour ago, CookieMonster87 said:

My aircon is always on, set at auto and usually between 18 and 21. Curious to see what settings others use if they run for many years without requiring a service/re-gas.

Just so youre aware, when you adjust the interior cabin temperature, the air con evaporator will still be at a just above freezing temperature. Even if the heater was on max heat :) as long as the air con is turned on, it will be running to maintain that cold evaporator core. 

With my car the air con is on all the time and from the records i have, cant see a regas in the 5 years its been a car :D