Skoda fabia mk 3 intermittent high pitched grinding noise???

Hi new to this just purchased a used cat n fabia mk 3 1.4tdi 90ps 2015 and had done 44k wondering if any one knows an odd intermittent noise hopefully is covered by the warranty it's a high pitched grinding possibly something  metal rubbing. he fitted a new exhaust and back discs and lads as they were catching but this was fine for 100 miles or so then started doing it at low speeds il try to attach a video it is hard to locate seems to be at the rear maybe a wheel bearing or cv joint any help would be great thanks .

Is that a Cat N write off? 

??

Who fitted a new exhaust and back discs?  

Who has given the Warranty, is it a Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty or something else from someone else? 

The car needs inspected and the issue diagnosed. 

?

What are the terms of the Warranty on claims?

?

How long have you had the car? 

Rusted out fixings on the rear brake disc backplate.

Well not the fixings but the plate around the fixings.

Edited by J.R.

When new parts are fitted especially unknown quality parts by someone unknown they'd be near the top of my suspect list.  If a bodger (professional or not) has done the work he might have damaged or not correctly dealt with something else in the area of the new parts fitted.

Does the noise vary with speed or any other circumstances, going down a pothole/over a speed hump, turning, etc.?

Are you sure it's from the rear?

• Like 1

Thanks for replying It seems to be only in a very specific few places on a slight incline whilst turning mainly right at only a slight angle seems to trigger it then when I stop it doesn't come back til I recreate the specific situation again...its really odd it did have a new exhaust fitted too but that would be a different clanging sound this sounds like brakes rubbing but surely that would happen all the time . I'm trying to get it to a mechanic soon but it's really hard to pinpoint..I was thinking the discs or cv joints or bearing but the slight incline could it be suspension ? It's really strange .

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Rusted out fixings on the rear brake disc backplate.

Well not the fixings but the plate around the fixings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The fitting do look quite rusty seems to be at lower revs and speed under 30 on slightly bumpy roads 

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Rob1984  You asked about warranty and said work was done.

So how long have you had the car and who did you buy it from, a trader / dealer or a Skoda Dealership and what Warranty have you?

Only 2 days so still has a month warranty with the trader but paid for  a year with warranty assist but the trader is about 50 miles from where I live ..seems to mainly happen at lower revs and speed on slightly bumpy roads seems worse when turning right hoping to get it to a garage soon for a check next week as needs oil change may use the free checks at halfords see if they can see much.

• Thanks 1

@Rob1984

Could you please tell me if i read your first post wrong.

Was the car a Cat N write off?

http://autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/99750/insurance-write-categories-explained-what-are-cat-n-and-cat-s-cars

Not an issue if properly repaired and not MOT's by mates who have poor sight.

You had more than a month with your consumers rights and th term of your warranty you bought matters.

To have a warranty sold it is normal that a used car has an inspection of some sort like when they get a RAC Warranty with a 83 point inspection  'Done by the approved seller'

?

Did you actually get sold a car that was needing an Oil Change?     

Has the car had servicing done and a record of it including the 'Coolant service campaign' as in the pinned thread at the top of the section?

Edited by roottoot

It will be the brake backplate (I am assuming that your car has rear disc brakes), you dont need a garage to check, you have said you can see the rusty item, give it a poke with your finger between the alloy wheel spokes.

37 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

NO!! Do not use Halfrauds.

Haha I'd just use the free checks I think nit I'm guessing they may just say everything's broken anyway so may not he much point lol 

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Best to avoid Hellfrauds, in my experience. 

Inwas just going to use the free checks they have listed on thier website go somewhere else for the job/s but I'm thinking maybe if they are so bad and incompetent is there much point is it better to go anywhere else mainly could do with a checkup and it is well over due for service I think 

I think I'd also check the brake backplate/shield or whatever VW call it.  Look at the opposite side see what fits the gap nicely, a wooden or strong plastic whatever if possible, and check the same gap is on the side all the way across the backplate on the side that makes the noise and if not make it so.  You could also check nothing is loose or fouling in the area.  You might se evidence marking, or it might be out of clear sight.

As regards service do bear in mind many think a service is an engine oil and filter change and visual checks for extra work, the engine isn't a top priority, the brakes, steering and suspension (all three include tyres) as you have already discovered are very important and just because some new parts have been fitted doesn't mean they have been fully attended to.  You also want all safety electric stuff working properly (lights, wipers, blower, horn, etc.) then it's the engine and transmission.

roottoot can give you Skoda schedule servicing details to see what your car might have had done or missed.

My advice is to keep your car battery reasonably charged especially if the car only does short journeys (which is also no good for a diesel) as the VW computer systems can play up in all sorts of unexpected ways when the battery gets low yet the car still starts and the lights seem bright enough.

44k-miles is low mileage for a 2015 car (my wife's is 2015 on 46k-miles and I know the short journeys that does but it's petrol) for a diesel I offer you this video. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkL9wYgWLlI

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nta16 said:

I think I'd also check the brake backplate/shield or whatever VW call it.  Look at the opposite side see what fits the gap nicely, a wooden or strong plastic whatever if possible, and check the same gap is on the side all the way across the backplate on the side that makes the noise and if not make it so.  You could also check nothing is loose or fouling in the area.  You might se evidence marking, or it might be out of clear sight.

As regards service do bear in mind many think a service is an engine oil and filter change and visual checks for extra work, the engine isn't a top priority, the brakes, steering and suspension (all three include tyres) as you have already discovered are very important and just because some new parts have been fitted doesn't mean they have been fully attended to.  You also want all safety electric stuff working properly (lights, wipers, blower, horn, etc.) then it's the engine and transmission.

roottoot can give you Skoda schedule servicing details to see what your car might have had done or missed.

My advice is to keep your car battery reasonably charged especially if the car only does short journeys (which is also no good for a diesel) as the VW computer systems can play up in all sorts of unexpected ways when the battery gets low yet the car still starts and the lights seem bright enough.

44k-miles is low mileage for a 2015 car (my wife's is 2015 on 46k-miles and I know the short journeys that does but it's petrol) for a diesel I offer you this video. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkL9wYgWLlI

Thanks appreciate all the info and check all that out and remember it 🙂 il check those plates and make sure I can get it to a proper garage for a proper service and roottoot check it it does seem like the last owner has hardly driven it I'm still learning it been revving bit too hard testing it out so mpg isn't great barely 40 mpg bit quite bit of town and few a roads, unless the issue is causing it to be low by rubbing and or poor service etc ..I've just discovered that if I take my feet of the pedals it maintains speed at 1st 6mp 2nd 12 mph 3rd 20mph 4th 30 mph and it stays at 1k revs has stalled once or twice whilst driving with it not sure how but it's blown my mind and I don't even know what the feature is called ccs maybe? for the car so its all new not had a modern ish car or diesel for a long time but the rubbing grinding noise is faintly appearing on slightly bumpy roads now it seems so I'm hoping to get it looked at next week .

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Best to avoid Hellfrauds, in my experience. 

In their defence they are unlikely to tell you to regularly charge your battery because the invasive VW computer has given you the slow puncture or high pitched grinding noise that you are concerned about.

• Cheeky 1

Poor servicing and something like a brake catching or poorly exhaust will lower mpg but I've obviously no idea if this applies to your car.  High revs in itself is not productive, full servicing and maintenance of the whole car and not just an engine oil and filter change is required for best running and mpg.

Lack of use from the previous owners often means there's more for you to do to make up for this. 

I'm used to petrol cars 20-50 years old although were had a few brand new cars the last was in 2008 (and our first and only diesel) so my wife having bought this new Fabia s/h it brought so good modern surprises and some PITA modern surprises.

What you may be thinking of is some sort of anti-stall programing but I'm no expert, in anything.

The basics of the car remain the same (ancient) only the ever progressing computer programs change things much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Poor servicing and something like a brake catching or poorly exhaust will lower mpg but I've obviously no idea if this applies to your car.  High revs in itself is not productive, full servicing and maintenance of the whole car and not just an engine oil and filter change is required for best running and mpg.

Lack of use from the previous owners often means there's more for you to do to make up for this. 

I'm used to petrol cars 20-50 years old although were had a few brand new cars the last was in 2008 (and our first and only diesel) so my wife having bought this new Fabia s/h it brought so good modern surprises and some PITA modern surprises.

What you may be thinking of is some sort of anti-stall programing but I'm no expert, in anything.

The basics of the car remain the same (ancient) only the ever progressing computer programs change things much. 

Thanks again it could possibly be that hopefully il have an update soon as possible appreciate all the information my last main car was an 07 fabia I had for 7 years then moved to a 1.0 focus for a month but it was too big so came to this and I love it it's just re learning all the complications and changing style of driving from petrol I think...its the girlfriend who like to use the turbo 😅I'm like your killing my mpg gains but yeah my next step is garage visit with a service hopefully will shed some light.

Had one surprise so far with the tyre inflation light never had one of those before 😅 but figured that out ...eventually after a lot of googling.

And yes possibly the other thing seems to be some kind of automatic  cruise control but I only thought that was manually set and mainly over 50 mph so I've no idea il try get to that on another post at some point .

And that's very true i was thinking of a remap for mpg but ...I haven't much clue about that either haha 

14 minutes ago, Rob1984 said:

Thanks again it could possibly be that hopefully il have an update soon as possible appreciate all the information my last main car was an 07 fabia I had for 7 years then moved to a 1.0 focus for a month but it was too big so came to this and I love it it's just re learning all the complications and changing style of driving from petrol I think...its the girlfriend who like to use the turbo 😅I'm like your killing my mpg gains but yeah my next step is garage visit with a service hopefully will shed some light.

Had one surprise so far with the tyre inflation light never had one of those before 😅 but figured that out ...eventually after a lot of googling.

And yes possibly the other thing seems to be some kind of automatic  cruise control but I only thought that was manually set and mainly over 50 mph so I've no idea il try get to that on another post at some point .

And that's very true i was thinking of a remap for mpg but ...I haven't much clue about that either haha 

Atleast the odd cruise control is keeping the gf at 1k revs and slower speeds as she likes it to rest her feet 😂so it's helping in quite a few ways...til she gets bored of it then I'm back to the pumps 😅

10 hours ago, Rob1984 said:

Easiest and probably most accurate information is to read, and when required refer to, the Driver's Handbook (Owners Manual), if you do this you could know more about the car than some long term owners.  If you haven't got the printed paper copy then you can download a pdf copy from the following link.  It's not always in the best English but it will tell you about your car, Dr Google can often throw up errors and misunderstandings. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Again read the Owner's Manual and you'll find exactly what it is and how to set it, it sounds to me as possibly someone else has set this this and you've not turned off or altered their setting.  Driving using cruise control or automatic cruise control isn't always the most economical way to drive sometimes a driver might do better.

Remapping might be more fashionable than productive, timely servicing, maintenance and repairs are the best form of tuning for the whole car (and not just the engine) and really must be done before any further tuning will be fully effective.  You can't fully progress unless the basic foundations of timely servicing, maintenance and repairs have properly fully been dealt with.

Another good tuning process for any vehicle is driver training, and it's mostly transferable to other vehicles.  Most men have too much ego to think of further driving training.

As you know cars are dirty things but diesel is particularly dirty so you want to keep things as clean as reasonably possible for the car to run well and last well.  As with computers GIGO (garbage in garbage out) with cars SISO so you want as clean as possible going in.  This is from having a good air filter condition, perhaps occasionally using the more expensive Premium diesel fuels which offer additional lubrication and cleaning agents and to have timely changes of engine oil and filter.

My wife's previous car was a diesel, our one and only, the very few times I refuelled it I put in the more expensive cleaner fuel and when I floored it from low revs off a roundabout I'd see a big grey cloud in the rearview mirror instead of a big thick black cloud of **** with ordinary diesel fuel so I follow my experience rather than what others tell me.   Even using this as the car done a lot of short journeys it still needed good long runs on motorway/dual/fast A-roads to give it clear out runs.  Sustained higher speeds/revs than usual.

If you're worried about mpg do remember to give some latitude to the mpg dash readout figures especially as you're driving along.  Confirm the car's figures for tank refill by how many miles since the previous fill (subject to both being to a full tank, first click of the station fuel pump) divided by how many litres it takes to refill the tank.  If you want mpg divide the litres by 4.546 to get the number of gallons (4.546 litres to one UK gallon).

Good luck.

• Thanks 1