Wireless charger gets really hot (and so does phone)

I've got the wireless charger in my car, the one that is a little mat where I'm sure an ashtray once was in front of the gearstick.

I have an iphone 12 mini, its a bit temperamental at charging and sometimes pops up on the screen saying device not detected, the same happens with my wifes iphone 13.

The bit that worries me is that the thing gets hot, and by hot, I mean that last week my iphone cut out with the red thermometer.  My iphone 12 has a battery health of 82% so this could be it I guess, but the wife's is a new iPhone13 and hers gets quite warm too.  When I remove the phone and touch the charging pad its really hot.

Does anyone else have this issue?  Is this normal or do I need to get it booked in?  Its done 700miles.

Inductive charging = Heat

Its one of the downsides to wireless charging.

I believe if you search around the forum a bit then some people have modified the charging base and cut the contacts for the centre charging coil leaving only the 2 outer ones, this reduces charging rate but reduces the heat output too.

• Like 1

Does your phone have a cover on it?  Some covers seem to make the phone hotter when wireless charging.  I've an Otterbox cover on mine and but never gets too hot on the charging pad.  iPhone 11 with 88% battery health.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vRS 170TDi Cork said:

Yeah same for me pity a tiny air vent is not running too

My thought too, the arm rest is air conditioned and the glove box, but they stuck it in the ash tray…

15 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Does your phone have a cover on it?  Some covers seem to make the phone hotter when wireless charging.  I've an Otterbox cover on mine and but never gets too hot on the charging pad.  iPhone 11 with 88% battery health.

I’ve got a Spigen cover on it, I could try it without it to enhance cooling but i would do something stupid like pick it up and drop it out of the door whilst putting the case back on.  Wife’s iphone13 has an original Apple phone cover

I have exactly the same problem with my iPhone 12. In fact after about 3 hours the phone gets so hot that it shuts down. 
Took the car back to the dealer who contacted Skoda.

Skoda said this was a known fault with the iPhone 12 and blamed Apple!

Have rather given up using the built in charging mat except for short journeys. 
Obviously Skoda are not interested in sorting the problem out.

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I have exactly the same problem with my iPhone 12. In fact after about 3 hours the phone gets so hot that it shuts down. 
Took the car back to the dealer who contacted Skoda.

Skoda said this was a known fault with the iPhone 12 and blamed Apple!

Have rather given up using the built in charging mat except for short journeys. 
Obviously Skoda are not interested in sorting the problem out.

It isn’t a Skoda problem. It’s an inductive charging downside, the quicker it charges the more heat.

if I use my home iQ wireless fast charge base the phone gets absolutely roasting hot. 

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

It isn’t a Skoda problem. It’s an inductive charging downside, the quicker it charges the more heat.

if I use my home iQ wireless fast charge base the phone gets absolutely roasting hot. 

If only it did charge quickly. 
Unfortunately the speed of charge is really slow. 

9 minutes ago, Hozz said:

If only it did charge quickly. 
Unfortunately the speed of charge is really slow. 

Well that will be because Qi wireless charging is a maximum of 7.5W whereas wired QC3.0 charges up to 36W. Big difference.

I don't use the wireless charging if I'm going to b driving 2-3 hrs straight because my phone (Pixel 5) gets too hot.

I plug it in via the charging cable.

On trips less than hr, the wireless charging mat is good enough to keep the phone at the same charge level, at a minimum, while using wireless Android Auto.

Known problem on lots of cars, the wireless chargers are powerful, and inductive charging creates heat.  Great idea for quick top up of battery, but not suitable for anything bit longer.

I no longer use mine because I don’t like the hot phone, solved it with low tech solution of 2 packets of polo mints in tray, phone goes on top and gets plugged in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 08/07/2022 at 21:13, Legacy said:

Do you know what otterbox case you have? I have samsung mind but trying to find a case that can wireless charge.

1 hour ago, Caj109 said:

Do you know what otterbox case you have? I have samsung mind but trying to find a case that can wireless charge.

Mines the Otterbox Symmetry

49 minutes ago, Caj109 said:

Cheers and definitely works with the wireless charging in the octavia wireless charging section or you om about a standard one? Thanks

It works in the Superb wireless charging section - I'd imagine that the Octavia one is the same