2014 Estate driver's door mirror replacement?

To cut a long story short, I need a whole new OS door mirror unit for my Tour de France Estate.

I would like to fit a replacement from Wingmirrorman (£120), but suspect this is quite a job needed removal of the door card?

I'm handy with tools, but thought I would ask if anything 'special' is needed before getting into it next week.

Thanks ,

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, after nearly a month, my driver's side mirror arrived via Wingmirror Man.

Nice item, so worth the wait.

Fitted it this afternoon only to find the last step irritating. The mirror runs out of alignment range mechanically and electrically.

I cant get the mirror to align fully to my 'view' when driving but it is 'OK'.

I think the RHD side they sell is infact the passenger side of a LHD car and the alignment is not the same.

Not sure, but will be giving feed-back!

Before giving what might turn out to be unfair feedback check the part numbers on one of the online sites like 7Zap to see if a RHD RH mirror assembly and a LHD RH mirror assembly have different part numbers.

I do think the aspheric glass does, I drive a RHD car in a LHD country and bought a LHD left side blind spot mirror (I think that is the aspheric one) and it doesn't work unless I am in the passenger seat & then its just fine!

I've just emailed them.

I have the motor off the original mirror and it is only a few mins to remove the new one and swop for the old and see what happens.

I can check the part numbers in that swop over.

As I tow with the car, I really would like the widest view on the driver's side.

The glass that came with the new unit is not the same, it does not have the line down it as the original Skoda one has, but both mirrors give the same field of view, so it must be down to the powered alignment motor moulding.

Oddly, the two mirrors adjust when switched to 'Right'!

That is standard and can be resolved using VCDS, I spent a decade before finally realising that whenever I had tweaked the drivers mirror soon after I found myself having to do the passenger one.

The motor units for the glass are different, new v Skoda, so can't transfer over the parts. Have resigned  to living with the restricted view or to stick one of those small mirrors to the glass to widen the view. for towing, Can always use the mirror extension.

Shame, I had hoped for the part to be correct rather than a compromise.

Just to close this miserable thread off.

Contacted Wingmirror man about this incorrect part.

2 emails back saying sorry, but they can only resolve things by me removing the mirror off the car and sending it back, at my cost.

They assured me that any part found to be faulty would be investigated and the issue resolved, even sending another (correct) part. They gave no timescale to this.

This would mean the car would be off the road for possibly a month as it took that long to get the faulty one.

Thier reply was 'Sorry, you have to send it back with a return code taken off their web site, post it back and wait.'

I suggested they send me a correct one and I'll return the faulty one.

No, you have to return it with a code ...etc. Sorry (again)

In other words 'Get lost'

Wonder how a garage would deal with this situation, wrong part and the customer car off the road?

BEWARE!