Weird Error Message (Only Leave vehicle in Position P)

Not for Chiselwizard I hope.  It wasn't meant as a red herring, I should have addressed the post to Chiselwizard (edited in now) but I put it to you that all the information was in the post but can see how Ken and yourself were misled.

Which brings me to - do Tesco still have shares in Greenenergy (something in the back of my mind says they sold them)?

3 hours ago, roottoot said:

'Dingwall' is the red herring i think. 

Errr, yes, don't know where that came from. I live in Wick. It's a 2 hour + drive  to Inverness. Only 100 odd miles but much of it two way and bendy. Great fun before they invented campervans. Think I'm safe saying that on here, don't think Skoda make campervans.

Chiselwizard did you miss my post below.  Just to save confusion, forget Dingwall and imagine someone who's location is North Scotland with a scanner perhaps prepared to help and perhaps to travel.

I know where Wick is as I've been to the two castles outside of Wick on the coast a couple of times, and been to Thurso but never bothered with John O'Groats.  I can't remember the road to (Dingwall) Inverness being particularly bendy, but then I like narrow twisty roads, straight down the A9 coast road as I remember it.  With the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' they must have meant for autobahns. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I see they are now the official Skoda repairers. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505997-skoda-retailer-inverness

Yes, they looked like the real deal. I was quite impressed. Ran me there and back to my nephew's place 5 miles away and washed/valeted it. You made me think though. I assumed that all Skoda repairers would fix the issue the same way, i.e switch rather than complete assembly,  but it appears not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiselwizard said:

Had it fixed today at Hawco. TBH I'm not unhappy with the outcome. I was expecting a quote of ~ £1400 going by posts on another thread, as the usual VAG solution appears to be replacing the entire selector assembly.  Hawco charged £37 for the switch, £220 labour and waived the £140 diagnostics charge. Happily surprised.

It would seem that I may owe Hawco Inverness an apology.

On 05/08/2022 at 21:23, Chiselwizard said:

Had it fixed today at Hawco. TBH I'm not unhappy with the outcome. I was expecting a quote of ~ £1400 going by posts on another thread, as the usual VAG solution appears to be replacing the entire selector assembly.  Hawco charged £37 for the switch, £220 labour and waived the £140 diagnostics charge. Happily surprised.

Hey, do you know if the diagnostics threw up an error? 

my local garage west end Edinburgh previously said it’s not registering an error. It’s back in on Friday for another diagnostic check. 

glad you got a good solution. I’m under warranty so really pushing Skoda Edinburgh. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Conalk45 said:

Hey, do you know if the diagnostics threw up an error? 

my local garage west end Edinburgh previously said it’s not registering an error. It’s back in on Friday for another diagnostic check. 

glad you got a good solution. I’m under warranty so really pushing Skoda Edinburgh. 

Even after I'd given them the error message showing on the dash (Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P) they insisted that they would have to run diagnostics @ 140 quid. In the event they didn't charge me for the diagnostics so whether they ran them or not I don't know. Hope you get yours sorted. 

• Like 1

I think the issue with this not being logged is that it's not seen as a fault, more a "remind you to do XYZ" information message. - Think of a seatbelt warning, message on screen, bong but no fault code flagged for such an event.  So on your screen you see Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P and the car is none the wiser as for it being a fault.

I guess for some they may get a fault flagged, if the parameters it checks come into play.  What the parameters are not clear to us.

I have also heard of rough running engines with no fault codes, get an ECU software update and then loads of fault codes appear as if by magic.

YMMV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, varooom said:

I think the issue with this not being logged is that it's not seen as a fault, more a "remind you to do XYZ" information message. - Think of a seatbelt warning, message on screen, bong but no fault code flagged for such an event.  So on your screen you see Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P and the car is none the wiser as for it being a fault.

I guess for some they may get a fault flagged, if the parameters it checks come into play.  What the parameters are not clear to us.

I have also heard of rough running engines with no fault codes, get an ECU software update and then loads of fault codes appear as if by magic.

YMMV

Great point it does appear like a reminder to take your mobile or ‘manually start car’. 

I’ve read a lot of threads that indicate a steering column fault. 

It’s impossible to recreate therefore proving impossible to diagnose 😡

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conalk45 said:

Great point it does appear like a reminder to take your mobile or ‘manually start car’. 

I have heard of this fault before, and like usual no fault code is stored.

And yes you are right, seatbelt/take your phone etc are all of the same ilk, information messages that are not deemed a fault.

1 hour ago, Conalk45 said:

Maybe the steering column fault is a red herring. I could take the key out in any position, not just P. From what I can gather, failure of the microswitch knocks out the safety interlock. Again, from what I can gather, it doesn't affect the running of the car. I was happy to get it fixed for £300. If the quote had been for £1500 as some people appear to have paid, I would have put up with the error message.

I have attached a TPI to read, mainly for anyone following the thread in future.

Current repair kit is 3Q0 713 128, with the caveat that this might change in future at any point, as well as revision to the TPI document - they are not set in concrete, revisions are made from time to time.

2060686.3 - Fault Workshop! Leave vehicle only in position P.pdf

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, varooom said:

I have attached a TPI to read, mainly for anyone following the thread in future.

Current repair kit is 3Q0 713 128, with the caveat that this might change in future at any point, as well as revision to the TPI document - they are not set in concrete, revisions are made from time to time.

2060686.3 - Fault Workshop! Leave vehicle only in position P.pdf 357.28 kB · 1 download

Hey, this is super helpful!! Can I ask what TPI means? 

the attachment is unavailable. 

People need help all over the forum.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/426096-error-service-leave-vehicle-only-selector-in-position-p

Obviously Skoda / VW Group Customers services will tell you that forums / social media blows things out of proportion and faults are few.

Lovely, but then when they exist VW should own their fundamental design, manufacturing, material failures and once a year or 3 passes these are not snagging faults.

How anyone at a Main Dealership can say 'Never heard of that' is because they are deaf. 

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.939737afd76f92587a5186702860b8b2.jpg.437740cb8adc15893a8bb2e12df18a96.jpg

• Like 1

• cheezemonkhai changed the title to Weird Error Message (Only Leave vehicle in Position P)
On 21/07/2022 at 22:07, Chiselwizard said:

Thanks for that Ken. Looks as if I'm in for a big bill as I'm just out of warranty.

Definately look for a good indy, but I'd get a price and I'd get a price for the dealer if there is a good will gesture.

Not saying it'll be any cheaper but at least it has a warranty on it if from the dealer using genuine parts.

Obviously if the dealer sounds like they're unhelpful, then you might as well go straight to the indy.

EDIT: title has had the error added.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Thanks 1

Quick update. The fault was repaired today they did not replace the entire selector. They used the switch repair kit - invoice read £125 for parts. 

bad news… they broke a clip completing the repair 🙈😡

E513DC97-A14D-4361-9F89-26FB13FA57CA.jpeg

• Crying 1

2 minutes ago, varooom said:

Glad it's fixed, a shame about the clip though.

Any onus on them to replace this?

I called them on the way home when I noticed it… the service dept were to call me back… they didn’t call this evening. I’m hoping they call tomorrow. Whoever broke it will know they done it. 

Very unfortunate. 

• Like 1