Can Skoda add?

Routemaster1461

Rather trivial. My Karoq has covered 8,800 miles and I have info on my central screen informing me that I need an oil change in 600 miles. That is at 9400 miles. As the service interval is 10,000 miles, I wonder why the indicated mileage distance to the oil change isn't 1200 miles. Is there some kind of calculation done or any sensors in the system? 

Long life service will be variable, sensor based or how you drive it. (I think max is 30,000Km)

Fixed service is what yours is on, and it's set to 15,000Km iirc so calculates to around 9,400 Miles give or take a little.

VAG measure in Km in servicing.

• Like 1

The cars leave the Factory on Variable / Flexible, it is at the PDI it gets changed to Fixed, and they should ask not just do that.

The Service Interval is at 9,400 miles / 372 days, 1 year 1 week,  was from PDI, allowing for holidays.  some are now just the 12 months. 

VW says 9,300 miles sometimes, not 10,000 miles. 

working on 15,000 km.  

'Oil & Inspection Service.'

The Oil Service showing and 'Inspection' due at a different times is a thing they just have had for years to confuse many, especially Dealership Service Desk staff that are there 5 1/2 days a week and yet seem clueless to it all. 

729156511_Screenshot2020-10-12at20_25_36.webp

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Should't take an IT genius to write a simple code to set a 10,000 mile service. Mine will be getting its oil chane in ~1200 miles.

Everything in the car is measure in metric, so no a quick change just for us that work in Miles.

Issue is caused when someone just accepted the default values in the computer of 15,000 Km and didn't change it to 16,090 Km (something like that)
You can ignore the demand to service now, or get someone to go in and adjust the values, like using VCDS.

When it does go in, make sure to state you  want it set to 16,000Km for your full 10,000 Miles.

VW have never had IT Geniuses and then they had a cunning stunt and took IT in house. 

So now you have the new mess they are in.

The Variable Servicing is 24 months / 18,000-20,000 miles so that is where the 10,000 mile idea comes from.

As to being on Fixed Servicing and you have a car with Long Life oil and it can be 18,000-20,000 miles / 24 months to change the oil then good.

But the Warranty has about servicing and the websites about 1,000 miles past a service due etc. 

So that is a co-ckup as usual.  

Because someone changed a car to Fixed Servicing because it suits dealerships.   Or Service Plans, or actually some customers / owners / fleets. 

Screenshot 2022-07-24 14.39.07.png

4A1986C8-8978-4E13-98B0-3A93C8CC4E71.jpeg.2564dd5bfd1014252415907f34419dca.jpeg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

20 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Should't take an IT genius to write a simple code to set a 10,000 mile service. Mine will be getting its oil chane in ~1200 miles.

You're absolutely right, there's been many an unnecessary debate and confusion caused by this VW group oversight.  It gets worse when Skoda / VW /Audi and SEAT dealers can advertise different service and maintenance intervals for the same engine. I've seen 18k/2yr or 19k/2yr or20k/2yr advertised. 

Many don't appreciate it's only a guideline figure anyway,  you can be up to 1000 miles out before any warranty concerns. Nobody is going to be stoned to death because their car wasn't serviced at 15,000km.

Many UK Skoda dealerships advertise their servicing at 10,000mile intervals or 12 months, whichever comes first. Even the offical Skoda UK website servicing gumph has servicing at 30k miles/3yr,  40k miles/4yr.  50kmiles/5yr  etc.

2 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

My Karoq has covered 8,800 miles and I have info on my central screen informing me that I need an oil change in 600 miles. That is at 9400 miles. As the service interval is 10,000 miles, I wonder why the indicated mileage distance to the oil change isn't 1200 miles.

Big hint, no bigger than that. It's 10_000 miles or 365 days, whichever comes first.

But it can be 372 days on some Skoda when you reset.

Then during Covid the on-time / by miles servicing went a bit lax so plenty cars are not serviced to recommendations , guidelines or specifications if people are checking service records.

post-86161-0-36120700-1445351597.jpg.f735efbfd01a5d6c1719116e80fbf319.jpg.d7a34e205df99f9ae89d599abf87cdb0.jpg

post-86161-0-63865800-1459249072.jpg.d73eb96fac75b35b16e085bd2bdd2e4f.jpg.03a9296d74aac0fdeb3fb5f88987bd99.jpg

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@Phutters

What is the reason for the groan this time? 

& the last time.

Is there no confusion of Skoda / VW's making?

I don't doubt there's a grain of truth in there somewhere, but it all seems to get lost in a thick fog of incessant moaning about Skoda dealers, their workshop staff and in particular the people in reception in post after post.

I'm not defending them - it's just that the constant carping is so tedious.

And I don't know why you've taken umbrage at my particular use of the groaning smiley. Are you feeling hard done by?

I haven't seen very many of the recipients of the groaning and confused smileys you've dished out yourself getting the hump and demanding an explanation.

The Internet isn't real, you know. It's all made up.

• Thanks 1

@Phuttersthanks for explaining.  I understand. 

The situation is that the main dealerships management accept that the service desk are what many are and have little knowledge of the vehicles.

It really is no great mystery as only the Citigo has left the factory in the EU not on a Variable service in over the past decade.

When I started this thread,I did understand the normal service interval and the extended service business, and I had no wish to stir up another debate. My question was simply, if a service interval is 10,000 miles why can't the car's brain know this instead of doing a metric conversion from 15,000km. 

However, as my brain seems to work in an odd way, perhaps someone can enlighten me on this issue. Whem the car is on the production line Skoda don't know whether the car is going to be on the fixed plan or the longer plan, and presumably the oil they used is appropriate for 18 20K miles use. This beggars the question of whether it is a waste of resource to change oil 'unnecessarily' at 10,000 miles. 10K miles is a very short service interval, and 3 of my 4 previous cars had either 16K or 20K intervals. One of the even earlier cars had an nterval of 20K or 2 years, but I got the impression that the 2 years caused an issue as later cars with nominally the same engine reduced the time to 1 year.

They have all been on a Variable / Flexible Service setting from the factory for the EU for over a decade now other than the Citigo while in production that left the factory on Fixed Servicing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules.html

Now the Plug in Hybrids have a Fixed oil Service regime and this can be as low as at 8,000 miles. That link is showing @ 9,000 miles.

Edited by roottoot

44 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

10K miles is a very short service interval, and 3 of my 4 previous cars had either 16K or 20K intervals. One of the even earlier cars had an nterval of 20K or 2 years, but I got the impression that the 2 years caused an issue as later cars with nominally the same engine reduced the time to 1 year.

These youngsters!!! 😉😉

I well remember having to change the oil every 5000 miles (Duckhams 20/50 please) and cleaning and gapping spark plugs. In fact when I was buying new Citroens in the 1980s, they needed an oil change after the first 500 miles! For one car this was interesting because just after buying it I was driving to the south of France, so I took it into a French dealership for its first service! 

Chris 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CJJE said:

These youngsters!!! 😉😉

I well remember having to change the oil every 5000 miles (Duckhams 20/50 please) and cleaning and gapping spark plugs. In fact when I was buying new Citroens in the 1980s, they needed an oil change after the first 500 miles! For one car this was interesting because just after buying it I was driving to the south of France, so I took it into a French dealership for its first service! 

Chris 

I've always changed the oil and filter on any new motorcycle I have bought at 1000 miles. These days, machining tolerances are much better, but there used to be very good reasons for running an engine in—and you wouldn't want the slurry of metal particles and oil providing your lubrication for any longer than necessary…

Mike 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

These youngsters!!! 😉😉

Chris 

Not a youngster, I wish I were. Bought my first car in 1972. I too remember using Duckhams every 6000 miles, gapping spark plugs, and having all sorts of issues with points and condensers. I bought a Citroen in 2007 and had to take it into a dealer in Austria for something routine, not sure what now, at approx 1500 miles. Don't forget cars used to need to have the cylinder head torqued down and tappets reset after a very small number of miles.

3 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Not a youngster, I wish I were. Bought my first car in 1972. I too remember using Duckhams every 6000 miles, gapping spark plugs, and having all sorts of issues with points and condensers. I bought a Citroen in 2007 and had to take it into a dealer in Austria for something routine, not sure what now, at approx 1500 miles. Don't forget cars used to need to have the cylinder head torqued down and tappets reset after a very small number of miles.

Ahh, I can beat you as I bought my first car (a 1950ish Vauxhall Velox) in 1963. With Citroens I always suspected that there was a restriction in the carburettor on delivery to limit the power for the first 500 miles, which was removed at the first service.

Chris