Clutch pedal sticking on Octy VRS Diesel

So this started around few weeks ago and has progressively got worse! Clutch pedal is not returning fully after being pressed and only when I pull it up by hand (at a stand still) does it return to normal and will function as it should briefly. No issue with changing gears, no slippage etc.. I'm lead to believe its one of cylinders (master or slave) but not sure which one. Also will this require a clutch and flywheel replacement? 

13 hours ago, ords said:

Suggest you use the search facility on this site.  Quite a few threads on the subject

Thats the problem, all the threads I've come across don't really get to exact cause.. Unless you know of a thread that addresses the issue? 

Issue is revealed towrds the end, it was a long journey to get to the bottom of it.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

Slave would be my guess. Had the same at around 100,000 miles. 

It started quite some time before it finally started sticking to the floor, but only from a cold start so didn’t really pay any attention to it. 

5 hours ago, maximusvrs said:

Sounds like the slave cylinder, my dad had the same on his Leon 184 (same engine/box) and they found fluid in the bell housing where the slave had leaked 

I'm hoping its not this as its likely to be an expensive repair!! 

• 5 months later...

I had very similar on my old Golf GTi (mk6) which probably has a very similar box and clutch to the Octy. One day it just went half way down and wouldnt fully return. Could drive it but bite point was very low. Was told it was a tiny fracture in the slave which are plastic and get brittle over time. Annoyingly the slave is internal. If you can drive it properly a common mod was to bash out the little yellow plastic disc in the bleeder block on the mk6 so you dont have that delay between clutch pedal release and clutch engaging. Not sure if the manual Octy's have the same setup however.

1 minute ago, Dooge said:

I had very similar on my old Golf GTi (mk6) which probably has a very similar box and clutch to the Octy. One day it just went half way down and wouldnt fully return. Could drive it but bite point was very low. Was told it was a tiny fracture in the slave which are plastic and get brittle over time. Annoyingly the slave is internal. If you can drive it properly a common mod was to bash out the little yellow plastic disc in the bleeder block on the mk6 so you dont have that delay between clutch pedal release and clutch engaging. Not sure if the manual Octy's have the same setup however.

Never heard about this mod and not sure if it would be the same on the Octy - you'd imagine it is, however the mk3 Octy is based on the MK7 Golf so could be different. Did you replace your slave cylinder and was the clutch/flywheel also done at the same time? 

5 minutes ago, 59p said:

Never heard about this mod and not sure if it would be the same on the Octy - you'd imagine it is, however the mk3 Octy is based on the MK7 Golf so could be different. Did you replace your slave cylinder and was the clutch/flywheel also done at the same time? 

Yes buddy, this was around 96k from memory. The clutch and flywheel was changed, cost me £950 through an independent with OEM parts approximately 4 years ago.

• Like 1