What do I replace my Skodiaq with

Starting to think about what to replace mine with as the lease is up in March.

really love the car, hasn’t missed a beat, comfortable, refined with a boot space ideal for dog crates, settees, wood, etc etc.

Only must haves are auto, massive boot, (not fussed about rear passenger space), cloth seats if possible and not any bigger than the Kodiaq.

I should get the same but don’t like getting the same car twice. Also not sure I can now get a decent spec with cloth seats as the SE L I think now has leather as standard.

I’ve been thinking about a Karoq or a Kia Sportage or Hyundai equivalent or even a XC60.

Having the same dilemma myself. Have a 2019 (20MY) Kodiaq sportline 2.0tsi and starting to consider what the next car might be… As much as I would like to convert to EV, it’s just not going to work for me up here in Caithness. Personally I don’t see the point in PHEV either (too much of a compromise IMO). I would like something  a bit more efficient than I have though and mostly my requirements are the same as yours. Auto/SUV/big boot and not full leather seats, although I would like half decent rear seat space.

Am also considering the Sportage (mild OR self-charging flavour). Volvo is out for me as there prices and finance packages are bonkers for what you are getting. Qashqai boot is abit on the small side. Am keen to see what the next gen Xtrail specs are and it’s sister car (Renault Grand Austral/Koleos TBC, the standard Austral is due for release here soon but as it is a sister of the Qashqai I expect it will be too small also) So getting to the point I am interest in the suggestions that might pop up here. 

Edited by Gmac983

2 hours ago, TeeDeeEye said:

I should get the same but don’t like getting the same car twice.

If it works for you, why not? And if you really want not-leather seats, how about a Sportline? I'd agree that buying the same spec or the same colour would be boring / pointless / whatever, but switching to a 'sporty' one with the sports seats and in a different colour will make it feel like an all-new all-different car... but you'll still have the same large boot and auto 'box in a package that's no bigger than a Kodiaq 😉.

(I went Edition > VRS and - even ignoring the engine - it's like having a completely different car, but with all the benefits I loved about the first one)

Edit: oh, and going non-facelift > facelift also helped with feeling like it was a different car

Edited by Yogi-Bear
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

If it works for you, why not? And if you really want not-leather seats, how about a Sportline? I'd agree that buying the same spec or the same colour would be boring / pointless / whatever, but switching to a 'sporty' one with the sports seats and in a different colour will make it feel like an all-new all-different car... but you'll still have the same large boot and auto 'box in a package that's no bigger than a Kodiaq 😉.

(I went Edition > VRS and - even ignoring the engine - it's like having a completely different car, but with all the benefits I loved about the first one)

Edit: oh, and going non-facelift > facelift also helped with feeling like it was a different car

You do make a compelling argument, a new revised Sportline would fit the bill. 👍😃

Edited by TeeDeeEye
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Totally agree with Yogi, I recently changed from a Kodiaq 2.0 tsi SEL to a facelift 1.5 tsi Sportline Kodiaq . The facelift and Sportline trim has some nice upgrades compared to the old SEL and as said feels a completely different car.

I also had two Yetis. At the time I was due a change I couldn’t find anything comparable to change the first Yeti for so bought another. Only reason I moved up to the Kodiaq was I needed more room for the expanding grandchild collection :)

• Like 1

I’m on my second Kodiaq. So will be 6 years worth in March 2023.

I couldn’t see anything to match the value for money.

This one has several extras that I really enjoy, so I expect to keep it an extra 4th year when VWFS send me the routine notice in a few months.

To replace this one with an exact replica has become silly money with Skoda playing games with spec and packages.

Maybe they’ll offer to sell it to me.

As for a non-Skoda replacement? That’s a challenge.

Another factor that could be considered is satisfaction with your dealer of choice. If you have had excellent service then might be worth sticking them. If not perhaps move on to something else.

Edited by Gmac983

I tried Santa Fe 2.2 diesel 202hp yesterday. Not really impressed. Nice acceleration until 140km/h. A bit slow to 160. Almost slept until 180. Expected a bit more for the price. 
All buttons are in the middle horizontally. If there is a direct sunlight you can’t see the labels.

Heads up display was nice.

Generally, I didn’t like it. For that price I would try Q5.

3 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

Another factor that could be considered is satisfaction with your dealer of choice. If you have had excellent service then might be worth sticking them. If not perhaps move on to something else.

I’ve never enjoyed a “dealer alliance”.

Dealer quality seems to change with the weather.

It always seems my previous salesman has moved on.

I’ll deal with anyone, anywhere when the deal is right.

I hate car dealers with a vengeance.

I am trying to decipher the Ops list of requirements which seem to be spaces for dog crates, but rear seats not important.

Sounds to me more like a boxy vehicle, or a van.

However with current difficulties of getting a replacement vehicle delivered promptly (or in some cases within about 15 months), I would seriously contact your finance company / lease co and ask for price of a years extension or even buying outright (if you like it).  And if don’t like it, why did you choose it.

If you want something similar why not look at VW Tiguan allspace, or Seat Tarraco

Edited by SurreyJohn

Yesterday was the first time I've driven with 5 adult passengers in the car. It was only an hour journey each way and the guy in the rearmost seats ( admittedly not the biggest ) said he was comfortable enough. Not only was there enough room to carry all their running paraphenalia in the boot, it carried all the prizes on the way home ( beer + wine ).  As I say from my point of view, it was the first time the car has ever had six adults in it and although the economy looked to have suffered a little, I didn't notice any difference in performance from a 1.5tsi auto when carrying 2 adults. What else can do that without spending considerably more money - a Dacia Jogger?

I had a look at an XC60 prior to buying the Kodiaq. Not only doesn't it have a very big boot, it has zero underfloor storage. The seats were typically Volvo excellence and I could specify a cracking sounding audio system if I'd wanted ( tho the operation of the infotainment was a big turn off for me ) but everything else was a negative. I struggle to understand why people pay such a premium for Vovlo these days. It wasn't any better screwed together than my Kodiaq. To be honest, if I were going down the Volvo route, I'd have saved money and bought an XC40 although It'd still be far more expensive to run  than a Skoda.

It's a good question and a very easy answer - what would I replace my Kodiaq with?  I've no intention of replacing it but if I was being forced to, it would be with another Kodiaq. My only concern would how to specify it under the £40k list to avoid that VED premium.

Edit: just read above comment re: Allspace or Taracco.  Know what puts me off them? the boot. Both cars have a little raised hump so the load floor isn't flat. To me both cars look like a crude  afterthought making a 5 seater in to a 7 seater whereas the Kodiaq with it's flat load bay looks like it was designed as a 7 seater from the word go.,

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

The seats were typically Volvo excellence and I could specify a cracking sounding audio system if I'd wanted ( tho the operation of the infotainment was a big turn off for me )

Everyone seems to rave about Volvo seats being really comfy, but I just don't get it. They're not bad... but I don't rate them as any better than others. The XC60 I test drove last year was certainly nothing to shout home about. And the V40 I had a go in several years ago was like sitting on stone slabs.

As for the infotainment, apparently it's now all 'Google built-in', which instantly rules out Volvo for me.

• Like 1

Your earlier post about getting a Sportline might very well be the answer but I do need to test out the new Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson. 

Yes and yes, costs about twice as much to lease. Tell’s you a lot about depreciation on executive brands.

btw a fantastic site to compare dimensions of vehicles you may be interested in, especially if you’ve got a small driveway or garage.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php

The F-Pace seems to be the only large-ish SUV that has the dimensions and boot space as the Kodiaq while having a longitudinal drivetrain config. Because of this, the Q5 is too small and a Q7 is too big for me, same goes for the other brands. 

On 11/08/2022 at 11:24, TeeDeeEye said:

Your earlier post about getting a Sportline might very well be the answer but I do need to test out the new Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson. 

Am also considering these but there seems to be bits-n-pieces on the web about reliability of their dry clutch autos (hybrid or otherwise). Is anyone able to elaborate on this further?

On 10/08/2022 at 14:13, TeeDeeEye said:

I’ve been thinking about a Karoq or a Kia Sportage or Hyundai equivalent or even a XC60.

I'm fan of the Kia Sportage  (4th Gen) . Sad to say, but modern VAG group cars feel like they've been cost engineered to last 3 years before components start to fail, where as KIA with their 7 year warranty seem to put more effort into having a reliable platform. Also a different approach to options. I've got the bottom of the range Sportage that was available at the time, and it still has these as standard: heated front / rear seats, dual climate control, reclining rear seats, rear parking camera, front camera for speed sign recognition, auto main beam dip and it can steer itself (active lane assist) etc.

• 2 months later...
On 10/08/2022 at 14:13, TeeDeeEye said:

Starting to think about what to replace mine with as the lease is up in March.

really love the car, hasn’t missed a beat, comfortable, refined with a boot space ideal for dog crates, settees, wood, etc etc.

Only must haves are auto, massive boot, (not fussed about rear passenger space), cloth seats if possible and not any bigger than the Kodiaq.

I should get the same but don’t like getting the same car twice. Also not sure I can now get a decent spec with cloth seats as the SE L I think now has leather as standard.

Did you reach a conclusion?