What do I replace my Skodiaq with

7 minutes ago, xspartx said:

When the children get older I may well have to get a larger car but for the moment the Kodiaq is the best option.

As someone with two teenage kids - and a dog - I have to say the Kodiaq is as big as I ever need it to be.

On 08/11/2022 at 20:49, BoxerBoy said:

Did you reach a conclusion?

Nah, still pontificating/ ruminating about it. Narrowed it down I to a Skodiaq sportline or KIA Sportage

Today I bit the bullet and placed an order for yet another Kodiaq.

Can't see past them.  Number 3.

Taxi. Skip truck. Holiday bus. Chauffeur drive taxi. All in one.

And hard to beat for value for money. I really can't face paying More For Less - no matter what "more" might mean.  Whether with a Skoda badge or any Premium brand.

Surprised myself by placing order with nearest dealer. From whom I bought my first Skoda (Superb Estate) in 2011.

A week ago I thought I had a deal stitched up with a very efficient and friendly online leasing agent.

But - it all fell through when the "price was reviewed" next day and jumped to match dealer prices.

So today I drove my first petrol Bear demo car to confirm my suspicions that I would feel short changed in 1.5 Kodiaq.   2.0 TSi SEL for me.

ps - example pic added 

Had forgotten how quiet the petrol models are.  And nicely responsive when you press the Go pedal.

The Demo was a Race Blue Sportline without any useful extras - just playing "fur coat and nae knickers" as we say north of the wall.

I need to replicate my useful toys - DCC, VC, Virtual Pedal and Winter Pack. Having enjoyed a lovely red one, I decline the £1,000+ Skoda ask for paint now and settled for FOC blue.

Roll on summer 2023.

769C6627-0871-4DB4-9636-29A3F07B6031.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2022 at 11:06, kodiaqsportline said:

Edit: just read above comment re: Allspace or Taracco.  Know what puts me off them? the boot. Both cars have a little raised hump so the load floor isn't flat. To me both cars look like a crude  afterthought making a 5 seater in to a 7 seater whereas the Kodiaq with it's flat load bay looks like it was designed as a 7 seater from the word go.,

Could'nt agree more. 

Difficult to find another 7 sear model that ticks all the boxes and has a sane price as the Kodiaq. Probably Kia Sorento ? 

In my case, extremely pleased with my 2020 TDI vRS. But my lease is coming to an end in Nov23. The dealer gave a cracking offer on the new TSi vRs (exchange) wherein I pay lesser than my current monthly lease but includes all wear&tear, service and warranty.  Hence put in my money on it went for it from a purely financial/maintenance point of view .  Skoda here wants to push new cars and gives good offers on them but terrible offers to extend the lease.  The value of the 2nd hand vRS Tdi also seems to be up given the times , so will also try selling on the open market. 

Edited by ThreeSixty

4 hours ago, ThreeSixty said:

The value of the 2nd hand vRS Tdi also seems to be up given the times , so will also try selling on the open market.

Errr... if it's a lease, it's not yours to sell.

From my (admittedly very limited) experience with lease cars, if you do have the option to buy (and you don't always), then the price is usually not all that attractive anyway - so I'd be surprised if you'd be able to flip it for much of a profit, if any.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Switzerland... things may of course be completely different over there! (as for the vRS TSI, good choice 😉)

Edited by Yogi-Bear

On 30/11/2022 at 21:11, Yogi-Bear said:

Errr... if it's a lease, it's not yours to sell.

From my (admittedly very limited) experience with lease cars, if you do have the option to buy (and you don't always), then the price is usually not all that attractive anyway - so I'd be surprised if you'd be able to flip it for much of a profit, if any.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Switzerland... things may of course be completely different over there! (as for the vRS TSI, good choice 😉)

Apologies for continuing the digression, but it does refer to VWFS.

My wife’s current Polo GTI is at end of contract and VWFS, well BCA actually, automatically offered it for purchase to save them inspecting and collecting.

But, their price is in line with all the retail Polo GTIs online. So no quick profit to be made.

BTW - was very easy online with VWFS to extend contract by 3 months with a few clicks as we await delivery of next car.

On 16/11/2022 at 10:57, CFB said:

Have you considered an X Trail?

I know nothing about them apart from the size though.

I had two X-Trails form new (the original T30 for eight years, and the facelift T31 for six) before my Kodiaq. Don't think I'd go back to one, though the new hybrid looks interesting.

The Kodiaq is much more refined and (so far) more reliable. 

Maybe not a fair comparison though as the X-Trail is now a big Qashqai rather than the boxy 4WD softroaders I had.

I'm in no hurry to change though a hybrid Kodiaq would be very tempting.

51 minutes ago, Nimby said:

I'm in no hurry to change though a hybrid Kodiaq would be very tempting.

I think it would be very tempting to a lot of people, myself included. However, I don't believe it will ever happen 😞

On 05/12/2022 at 13:04, Yogi-Bear said:

I think it would be very tempting to a lot of people, myself included. However, I don't believe it will ever happen 😞

Now that’s a shame, I will replace the current one with another, but a hybrid option would be a great replacement.

I've recently given back a Peugeot 5008 as a company car, after a coupe of years.  I thought that was a worthy car.  30,000 miles and nothing went wrong.  Similar size and internal space to the Kodiaq, more space in the Row 3 seats.  Flat floor.  Mine was only the 130 horse manual diesel, so it was slower than our 150 horse DSG 4x4 Kodiaq, but it was also better on fuel and lighter.  It handled really nicely, in my opinion.  An indecently agile car for its size.  They do a good auto version.

However, the Kodiaq was more refined than the 5008 and although the 5008 had more "toys", the same toys on the Kodiaq worked better.

Maybe worth a look?

1 hour ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Rapidly going up my must haves is a heated windscreen

Never had one before this car. Never saw the need.

Wouldn't buy a car without one again. Same goes for heated steering wheel. 😂

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 08:59, TeeDeeEye said:

Good points about the 5008.

Rapidly going up my must haves is a heated windscreen . Absolutely essential this weather if you park outside!

The lines put me off.  Other half had a Ford with a heated windscreen and I could see the wires inside.  Very annoying.  Maybe they have improved on them now?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided on a nearly new Sportage gt-line s petrol auto awd. Was tempted by another lease on a Kodiaq Sportline or a new hybrid Sportage but couldn’t justify the financial commitment for the next few years because of the current omni shambles we’re experiencing with inflation, pensions, energy costs and whatever else the government decides to impose to reach net zero before the rest of the world.

Not quite as refined and spacious as the Kodiaq but drives well, has an amazing amount of standard kit, tech and gadgets plus the reminder of the Kia 7 year warranty.

The 7 year warranty was the clincher in not getting another Skoda as wanted the reassurance of no big bills if I keep the car for a few years. I’ve been driving Skodas off and on (mostly on) since I bought a 1 year old T reg diesel Octavia many moons ago

28 minutes ago, TeeDeeEye said:

The 7 year warranty was the clincher in not getting another Skoda as wanted the reassurance of no big bills if I keep the car for a few years.

There's no question it's a better warranty than VW group but don't assume. For example you'll receive a big bill from Kia if anything infortainment system related fails after 3yr. which is similar to Skoda.

As we should do with any warranty, forget what the sales people say, always read the small print. 

Yes 

23 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

There's no question it's a better warranty than VW group but don't assume. For example you'll receive a big bill from Kia if anything infortainment system related fails after 3yr. which is similar to Skoda.

As we should do with any warranty, forget what the sales people say, always read the small print. 

Indeed, I knew this but the Kia salesman volunteered the info that the infortainment was only covered for 3 years.

Also don’t assume that just because a car at a dealership is advertised on the manufacturer’s used car website as having a manufacturer warranty that it is.

Looked at one car that had a Halfords first service and the second service hadn’t been done and was way overdue but salesman assured me it had the remaining manufacturer’s warranty………..

13 hours ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Also don’t assume that just because a car at a dealership is advertised on the manufacturer’s used car website as having a manufacturer warranty that it is.

Looked at one car that had a Halfords first service and the second service hadn’t been done and was way overdue but salesman assured me it had the remaining manufacturer’s warranty………..

Yeah exactly. During my year and half wait for a Kodiaq, I got a 3 year old Sportage. The 7 warranty ideally needs all the services to be done on time by a Kia dealer. Finding a car which had that was difficult. If it's not and you put in a warranty claim they may want to see exactly what oil and parts were used during those non Kia services.

12 minutes ago, Theo5 said:

Yeah exactly. During my year and half wait for a Kodiaq, I got a 3 year old Sportage. The 7 warranty ideally needs all the services to be done on time by a Kia dealer. Finding a car which had that was difficult. If it's not and you put in a warranty claim they may want to see exactly what oil and parts were used during those non Kia services.

Hi Theo, that’s interesting, how did you find the Kodiaq compared to the Sportage?

I started this topic as my lease was coming to the end and wasn’t sure what to get next, we’re really pleased with the SEL I have, but wanted a change and had to be slightly smaller (tight driveway) but big enough and comfortable for two people plus two smallish dogs in the boot. 

1 hour ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Hi Theo, that’s interesting, how did you find the Kodiaq compared to the Sportage?

I started this topic as my lease was coming to the end and wasn’t sure what to get next, we’re really pleased with the SEL I have, but wanted a change and had to be slightly smaller (tight driveway) but big enough and comfortable for two people plus two smallish dogs in the boot. 

It's a 2019 Sportage 1.6 petrol, 4th gen facelift, so not one of the new 5th gen ones. I'd say the Kodiaq is better in nearly every area, engine, gear box, handling, suspension, road noise and the sound system is incredible. But for reasons I find hard to explain I prefer using the Sportage at the moment for short / medium journeys. It might be because it's slightly smaller and sits lower to the ground so feels more car like and a bit more fun to drive? 

The plan was to sell it when the Kodiaq arrived, but my wife loves driving the Sportage so much, we've still go it. 

Edited by Theo5