Fault code 928364 air distribution flap

The climate control uses servo motor controlled flaps for air temperature and distribution, these are all under the dash.

These can get stuck due to problems with either the gear mechanism (which is what I had happen) or the actual flap.

The one you need to look at is the one that controls the amount of airflow to the front vents. You'll probably need a section of the repair manual to locate exactly where that is.

BTW VCDS can run an output test which tries to exercise all the climate control motors and is worth running even if only to hear where the noise comes from when it tries to exercise this flap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've got the same problem in my Skoda Octavia mk3 '17. I've noticed yesterday that I can't off front vent - blower is blowing on face, independent that I turn on or off switch. When I try to enable blowing "on socks" on climatronic panel - nothing happen. Other functions of HVAC works good. Adaptation which was shown in link above doesn't help. During adaptation I can't hear any incorrect noises, such as crackles or clicking from HVAC flaps or some servomotor. When I plugged diagnostic interface I saw the same fault code in HVAC module (928364).

I looked at the official documentation of the heating system in Octavia and concluded that cause of the fault must be a damaged V428 module (front air distribution flap control motor) or some mechanical problem with the flap. The service manual says that on LHD cars, the dashboard must be removed for repair. In RHD vehicles access to the V428 servo motor is quite easy, because it is placed on the same side as LHD vehicles... and it means, that you should remove glovebox and you can get access to problematic part.

However, I would like to ask if anyone replaced this motor in left-hand drive cars, and if so, is it really necessary to disassemble the entire dashboard, or maybe it is enough to remove the knee airbag pad and it would be possible to get there without disassembling the board? Today I checked whether the flap motor could not be accessed after removing the instrument panel, but it doesn't resolve problem with access. Servomotor placed too deep...

o3_hvac.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 01:12, jacekpk said:

Hello!

I've got the same problem in my Skoda Octavia mk3 '17. I've noticed yesterday that I can't off front vent - blower is blowing on face, independent that I turn on or off switch. When I try to enable blowing "on socks" on climatronic panel - nothing happen. Other functions of HVAC works good. Adaptation which was shown in link above doesn't help. During adaptation I can't hear any incorrect noises, such as crackles or clicking from HVAC flaps or some servomotor. When I plugged diagnostic interface I saw the same fault code in HVAC module (928364).

I looked at the official documentation of the heating system in Octavia and concluded that cause of the fault must be a damaged V428 module (front air distribution flap control motor) or some mechanical problem with the flap. The service manual says that on LHD cars, the dashboard must be removed for repair. In RHD vehicles access to the V428 servo motor is quite easy, because it is placed on the same side as LHD vehicles... and it means, that you should remove glovebox and you can get access to problematic part.

However, I would like to ask if anyone replaced this motor in left-hand drive cars, and if so, is it really necessary to disassemble the entire dashboard, or maybe it is enough to remove the knee airbag pad and it would be possible to get there without disassembling the board? Today I checked whether the flap motor could not be accessed after removing the instrument panel, but it doesn't resolve problem with access. Servomotor placed too deep...

o3_hvac.jpg

Do you know the part number??

20 hours ago, Derbylad82 said:

Do you know the part number??

Yes I know the part number. In my case the number is 5Q0907511A.

But you should like to know, that in Skoda Octavia were installing two types climatronic unit - from two manufacturers: Denso and Valeo. HVAC module in my car was produced by Denso. In cars with Valeo's HVAC the part number should be: 5Q0907511J. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if these two servomotors can be used interchangeably.

And one more errata to my previous post: I wrote wrong symbol of the part 11:

• Heating and electrical manually controlled air conditioning system - air distribution flap control motor: V428
  • Climatronic - front air distribution flap control motor: V426

At this moment I know that replacement of V426/V428 module in LHD vehicles is possible without removing dashboard despite the fact that the official service manual recommends starting work by removing the dashboard. It's possible, but it isn't easy and not very comfortable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacekpk said:

Yes I know the part number. In my case the number is 5Q0907511A.

But you should like to know, that in Skoda Octavia were installing two types climatronic unit - from two manufacturers: Denso and Valeo. HVAC module in my car was produced by Denso. In cars with Valeo's HVAC the part number should be: 5Q0907511J. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if these two servomotors can be used interchangeably.

And one more errata to my previous post: I wrote wrong symbol of the part 11:

• Heating and electrical manually controlled air conditioning system - air distribution flap control motor: V428
  • Climatronic - front air distribution flap control motor: V426

At this moment I know that replacement of V426/V428 module in LHD vehicles is possible without removing dashboard despite the fact that the official service manual recommends starting work by removing the dashboard. It's possible, but it isn't easy and not very comfortable.

Noticed the front vents still blow hot even with climate off so which do you suggest??

• 2 months later...

Thanks jacekpk for the really good explanation of how to reach the actuator! 
I got the same problem with my HVAC, it was not possible to get air blowing “on the socks”:) and it was constantly blowing through the front vents.

Readout of codes saying “actuator jammed” and calibration did not solve the issue.

I removed the actuator according to your instructions. (Removed minus from battery when I removed airbag). The thing was, when I connected the battery and tried the actuator only hanging in the cable, it worked/turned. I then assembled it again and it worked. Flaps moved and everything worked. I did not check the fault codes at this time. 
The day after I did a readout and I find that I had a new fault code saying the front actuator was not calibrated (basic setting not performed). I did the calibration (pushing front went and AC for 3 seconds). Then everything stopped working again… Code actuator jammed.

I wonder what the fault is. Maybe I shall try to change the actuator and try again? 
When I moved the flaps manually the feeling was that they were moving easily. 

Any advices? 

• Like 1

Just an update on this topic. I replaced the actuator to a new one. When it was hold on place it worked. When I then tightened the screws it was struggling. Now it is just finger tightened and works fine. 

One advice when you trying to reassemble the actuator is to use sticky tape or glue between the tool and the screw. It eases the work a lot. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2023 at 16:05, JohanBerg said:

Just an update on this topic. I replaced the actuator to a new one. When it was hold on place it worked. When I then tightened the screws it was struggling. Now it is just finger tightened and works fine. 

One advice when you trying to reassemble the actuator is to use sticky tape or glue between the tool and the screw. It eases the work a lot. 

Hi @JohanBerg

I am sorry that I am only replying to your message now.

I noticed the same behavior of the unscrewed actuator, which started working for a while, but after re-screwing it jammed again. Since I had already bought a new part, I immediately proceeded to replace it.

My way of re-installing the screws, after probably two hours of lying with my head under the dashboard, I decided to stick the screw to my finger using a small drop of glue. Later, I regretted that I did not immediately decide on such a solution. I would save a lot of time.

I read on some forums that what breaks down in these actuators is a small rotating resistor. It can be purchased on popular portals such as AliExpress and then replaced it. However, I did not want to risk using a car in which this actuator could break down again, during a holiday trip, for example 🤔

• Like 1