Considering buying a 2017 / 2018 petrol VRS

Hello,

I'm considering changing my 2007 Octavia 1.8 TSI estate for a newer VRS maybe ? but i'm sure i heard somewhere that they have reliability issues. I am aware of the Cam chain problems on the Mk2's however was that resolved with the newer model ?.

Failing a VRS i would look at a 1.5 TSI as i had a drive in a friends Golf with the same engine and found that ok. 

My old car is running great but only runs on 97 / 99 octane fuel and after 141000 miles things are starting to go wrong so after 8 years think it's time for a change..  

I have a FL 2018 Model which is the 230 BHP one (before they release the 245).  I don't know of any issues/many with respect to reliability.  The weak point on ANY VAG product seems to be waterpumps (I think it has been ever thus for VAG).  Have not seen anyone complain about Cam chains on these.  On the diesel you need to keep an eye on cam belt's and waterpumps at certain mileages,  a quick search will reveal that issue.  

If I were picking a car to do high mileage in then I think I'd make a different choice to the 2.0 TSI simply on a consumption basis,  though to be fair on long runs I happily get between 40 and 45 MPG though I do need a long run to get that.  Pootling around I'm lucky to exceed 32mpg on short outings.

Folks here will advise you to get a high spec one with heated seats, Alcantara over cloth seats,  limited slip front diff (not sure the 230bhp on the FL ever had this) canton sound,  DCC etc... you will look long and hard to find such rare beasts amongst what are quite rare cars to begin with.  Be prepared to search patiently and also be prepared to travel to find the car you want.

My car is fairly basic,  does not have the alcantara or LSD or Canton sound or DCC.  I bought it based on low milieage and condition ( oh and price) and I can't say I drive anywhere near hard enough to need a limited slip diff and the cloth seats are actually very nice.  The sound out of the standard infotainment is acceptable,  not poor but not great.  It does have a sunroof which I never open but do use as a source of additional light sometimes.  I have the DSG which I find excellent,  though I'm of an age where using a clutch is just too much effort and if you are that way inclined... it makes for an effortless drive when on long journeys.

• Like 1

2016 vRS 230 owner here, pre-facelift.

The TSI engine fitted to 220/230 vRS models doesn't seem to suffer the same oil consumption and other issues of previous iterations in the mk2. Water pumps and wheel bearings seem to be the main areas to watch, so not too devastating on the wallet if they go.

I looked at loads of Octavias pre- and post-facelift, even the 1.4 TSI goes well so worth considering if you want to save a few quid and get an older car.

You might also want to consider the Leon FR, which can be had with the 1.8 TSI in 180bhp tune. 

7 hours ago, Fuzzarr said:

2016 vRS 230 owner here, pre-facelift.

The TSI engine fitted to 220/230 vRS models doesn't seem to suffer the same oil consumption and other issues of previous iterations in the mk2. Water pumps and wheel bearings seem to be the main areas to watch, so not too devastating on the wallet if they go.

I looked at loads of Octavias pre- and post-facelift, even the 1.4 TSI goes well so worth considering if you want to save a few quid and get an older car.

You might also want to consider the Leon FR, which can be had with the 1.8 TSI in 180bhp tune. 

Thanks for the reply's guy's, i considered a leon ST with the 1.8 engine but i'm sure this came only in auto and was a bit short on rear pax legroom compared with the octavia. 

I like the 220/230 VRS however i do not know if i can wait around for the right one to show up so in the meantime will see if i can find a nice 1.4/1.5 in SE L trim.. 

Bought a 2015 VRS TSi estate in April, loved it ever since. Mine is well specced, leather, cruise, DSG, MIB2 with Android/Apple car play, 19" alloys, black pack, etc.

I bought it with 82k on the clock and full dealer service history. Didn't seem like it had anything too scary in its service history and from what I'm experiencing they are fairly good. MK2's suffered chain tensioner issues but as mentioned above, these are likely to suffer waterpumps, occasional inlet manifolds, wheel bearings and seized rear toe adjustment. 

If you are going to change, do your research on spec. They had three power levels over the years, referred to as 220, 230 and 245. If you are looking at DSG as before, make sure it's been serviced every 40k/3 years ideally as that'll be expensive. If you go manual, a map will likely kill the clutch and ideally you'd want an uprated clutch to use all the power. Prices are relatively high but have come down slightly.

11 hours ago, Fuzzarr said:

Oh I forgot you can also get the Octavia with the 1.8 in L&K trim, quite rare though!

I bought one of them last month (which I'm loving - the extra performance over the 1.4TSI Elegance I used to have is welcome as is the DSG), at the time there was another one on Cazoo?

Mine's a 2017 facelift 230. Had it since end of 2019 and it's been super reliable and a brilliant car.

Modified it a fair bit since too. Looking to sell it in November as it'll be 3 years then and I fancy an auto/DSG next.

Only thing that has given any issue were a set of buckled wheels when I bought it, worn wheel bearing and leaking thermostat - all fixed under warranty.

Then usual stuff like brake pads and tyres - but all worn properly, no quirks.

9 minutes ago, TDIum said:

Don't overlook the newer 2.0 TSI /190bhp it is smooth powerful and economical 👌

They were super rare in the Mk3, no? Maybe one to keep in mind but I wouldn’t be holding out for one. 

I went from a 2015 diesal VRs to a 2018 245bhp petrol VRS.

Have zero regrets the old car was grand but the newer car is great. 

Not had any issues with mine as yet, had it just over a year now.

Took a fair time to find the one I wanted though not that many 245’s around in N.I.

My car has the alacantra electric heated seats, the front dif etc.

Debating getting rid at the moment for an RS4 but not made my mind up yet.

I've got a 2018 245 manual hatch so running on 19's & it's got the electric heated alcantera seats.

Absolutely love the car, I've had no reliability issues with it at all.

It's going in a week or so though - my new vrs is finally turning up!