Energy 'Price Cap' .........

Tilt

On 06/10/2022 at 14:13, Ttaskmaster said:

"Well, that's how water rates work, innit.... soooooooo".......

Not sure what water rates has to do with Energy ........ 

On 06/10/2022 at 14:13, Ttaskmaster said:

Nah, on SSE's Eco7 we were on 48p/kWh daytime and 21p from 12:30-07:30 before all this stuff even kicked off. I *seriously* doubt they'll actually lower our prices....

I suspect your prices will be around 42p and 14p respectively .............. plus the daily charge of course.

I guess they would have already emailed you your new prices though ...............

Unless this IS a special tariff with no daily charge as the prices are quite high?????????????

Edited by Tilt

On 06/10/2022 at 15:22, Breezy_Pete said:

@Ttaskmaster That 34p cap only applies to standard single-rate supplies, I believe.

From PetrolDave's link, you'll be in the 'won't apply' category covered by the last of these clauses, [my greening to emphasise]:

It applies if you’re on a default energy tariff, whether you pay by direct debit, standard credit or a prepayment meter. 

If your supplier has stopped trading and you are switched to a new supplier you are likely on a price capped tariff.

It won’t apply if you:

• are on a fixed-term energy tariff
  • have chosen a standard variable green energy tariff Ofgem has exempted from the cap

I think he/she/they will be in the 'default energy tariff' ................. ?

I could be wrong though as looking at their tariff again they are very high but I didn't think there were any 'no standing charge' tariffs anymore..........?

Edited by Tilt

On 07/10/2022 at 16:53, Tilt said:

Not sure what water rates has to do with Energy ........

Use as much as you like and only pay a set fee is how water rates work, which is why some people assume it works the same in other utilities... hence the 'quote'. 

They see the word 'rates' and assume that means it's that vs metered.

On 07/10/2022 at 16:53, Tilt said:

I suspect your prices will be around 42p and 14p respectively .............. plus the daily charge of course.

Actually got it through today - 46p and 18p, plus 45p standing charge.

On 13/10/2022 at 12:16, Ttaskmaster said:

Use as much as you like and only pay a set fee is how water rates work, which is why some people assume it works the same in other utilities... hence the 'quote'. 

They see the word 'rates' and assume that means it's that vs metered.

But that is mixing un-metered (water) against metered (energy).  but yes, stupid people. You maybe think I'm stupid ........ Anyway ...

On 13/10/2022 at 12:16, Ttaskmaster said:

Actually got it through today - 46p and 18p, plus 45p standing charge.

The unit prices are still a bit high, but at least a little lower than they were then ........

On 14/10/2022 at 17:32, Tilt said:

But that is mixing un-metered (water) against metered (energy).  but yes, stupid people. You maybe think I'm stupid ........ Anyway ...

The unit prices are still a bit high, but at least a little lower than they were then ........

"Really surprised, how stupid are people to think that you can use more and not have to pay for it " - Yes, stupid people. I'm just pointing out why they think that way.

Unit price is actually the cheapest we can get round here. Out usage has dropped dramatically against comparable months, yet the overall cost has still increased dramatically against that same benchmark.

13 hours ago, @Lee said:

Price cap' ends in April now thanks to the massive tory U turn.

Lucky I didn't switch to an EV like people insisted was the future... At the current rates of 'leccy increase, it'd cost more to charge one o' them than to refuel my knackered old diesel!!

Plans can change but it is a planned future for those wanting to buy a new car in 8 years time. In the UK.  So the future might arrived come time   in the present if you are paying 40 pence a kWh and getting 3.5 miles a kWh you are going 70 miles for £8.    The knackered old diesel is not going to be cheap to get into some cities in a future nearer than 8 years off.   That is now someplaces.  Public charging at more than 7 kW chargers is now sometimes still less than 30 pence a kWh but as high someplaces as high as 79 pence on 50kW chargers to £1 on 100/ 100+.   Today I have had 300 miles worth at no cost to me and in the past 26 months 36,000 miles for under £200.      That 'much cheapness' and available for free charging  will not last much longer I expect.   

Edited by roottoot

• 2 months later...

Some new fossil fuel disincentives were announced over the Christmas period whereas the EU has just approved CO2 tax on transport & buildings/heating starting in 2027 on the EWTS2 (Emissions trading system). It was supposed to have started in 2025 at the same time as the new Euro 7 emission standard but world events have pushed it back until 2027. From what I can gather the UK's ETS is still linked to the EU's ETS despite Brexit.

It will be capped at €45/tonne which will put 10p on a litre of petrol & 12p on a litre of diesel.
"The new carbon price will apply to petrol, diesel and heating fuels such as natural gas whose climate warming emissions have continued to rise over the years despite attempts to decarbonise. "
There is a €87billion social climate fund for EU citizens to help with rising costs, The UK is linked to this & I wonder if we're going to get owt!
https://www.euractiv.com/section/emissi ... mate-fund/

Gas prices are now lower than they were at the start of 2022. https://www.profinance.ru/charts/gasuk/lca7

Edited by lancpudn
getting dumber by the day
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lancpudn said:

fossil fuel disincentives

Thanks for sharing that, it's good to know but...

I hate being pushed! Much rather be incentivised to do something - and currently the 'carrots' to go for an EV just don't work for me.

@snealWhat are the 'carrots' to go for an EV? 

There are many reasons not to in the UK with the Government being clueless.

There should be no reason for businesses to not get people employed & trained up to install home chargers and other businesses to be building chargers.

The reason that many will not put in the investment is because they can not trust any commitment from the UK Government.

@toot thinking about it, you’re right. What carrots there were are pretty much gone (discounts, free charging points now scarce or too slow to be practical, home energy price increases, insufficient charging infrastructure, …). So, no incentives other than an EV feels like it ought to be the right thing to do - but even that is doubtful with rare minerals in batteries and doubtfully green electricity.

I agree the UK lacks a clear government led way forward. Having said that, whatever they come up with the media will tear it to shreds so successive ministers will end up flip-flipping in an attempt to keep their job or seat in Westminster.

Meanwhile I’m sticking with a gentle right foot in my 1.5TSI (but how I’d love an old shape 5ltr Jaguar XJ-R!).

Ooops! Straying in to politics if I’m not careful, not to mention being well off topic too.

• Like 1

Driving my 25 mpg Auto diesel 4x4 right now because there is no way the Snow tyres on my Corsa Electric will stand up to the potholes that can not be avoided in the dark and rain that are opening up.

Not potholes actually but iron works / drain covers etc collapsing and as much as a meter long across carriageways in town.

Heavy small EV and rock hard suspension and low profile tyres is just not great over what if there were roadworks would have warning notices where the sharp edge was between resurfacing.

Edited by toot

My Mum got here Eon Next Bill / Statement in.

Estimated Gas and Electricity since September and it is within  a few units of the actual reading.

She was £69 in Credit, they reduced her DD to £53 a month and there have been the 3 payments from the £400 credit. £66, £66 & £67.

So she is £21 in credit. 

They estimate her annual Gas & Electric at £1,400 a year.

So she says to me, 'do you see how much i am paying?'   

Well last year she paid £90 a month by DD.

So this year / winter,

almost nothing really considering the Government / All of us have paid he £600 Winter Fuel  payment, £150 & the £400 credit. 

Money thrown left right and centre to people just because of their age regardless of saving / capital, income etc, or a well insulated home and not that high energy usage.

'Targeted' at who they think do or they want voting for them.