Strange leak which has me confused

I have a 2016 Superb Estate which at the beginning of this year I found the spare wheel well to be full of water.

I hadn't been in the under floor are for years (no reason to) so assumed the water had accumulated over time.

I emptied the water out and left it all to dry.

I finally got round to removing some of the trim this weekend to try and find the leak.

This morning I checked the boot before leaving for work and it was completely dry, after driving for about an hour to work I opened the boot to find some water in there, now it didn't rain on the way to work and I didn't drive through any puddles.

Where is the water coming from!!!??

OK, so after removing all the trim and the subwoofer I found a pool of water here, it's at the floor level as opposed to the bottom of the wheel well so I'm guessing that when I'm driving around it sloshes into the wheel well.

Next question is where is it coming from???

IMG_4675.png

1 hour ago, LakesPuma said:

OK, so after removing all the trim and the subwoofer I found a pool of water here, it's at the floor level as opposed to the bottom of the wheel well so I'm guessing that when I'm driving around it sloshes into the wheel well.

Next question is where is it coming from???

IMG_4675.png

I would be checking the entry points in this area which are;

The rear vents

Rear lamp seals

Tailgate seal

Rear quarter if estate

Rear door seal

Sunroof drain if it has one.

The best way to check is lock you or someone in the boot with a torch and spray the car with a hose and see where it runs in to. 

Or the other option if you like to vape.... tape over the rear vents and turn the hvac to full blast, shut yourself in the car and your ears might pop, but get someone to listen from the outside for whistling or if not, blow smoke/vape in the areas it may leak and see if it escapes on the outside. 

It's an estate but no sunroof.

Where are the rear vents, I've had a look around and can't find any vents.

I've just emptied a couple of watering cans over the rear of the car and not a drop inside (we still have a hosepipe ban here 😞 )

I'll keep checking around especially after we have rain.

Thanks.

On our Kodiaq the leak we had was from the windscreen wiper seal - where it joins the rear hatch glass, so it might be worth checking that as well and whether there is any water behind the hatch trim.

so more confused, I tried cleaning up the area around the tailgate seal and then getting a hose on the car and I can see water coming out of a seam to the side and slightly higher than the taillight, All I can think is it's either the tailgate seal or it's getting in through the grommets for the tailgate wiring, but stuffing a rag behind the grommets came out dry, so still fairly stumped and just hoping a brand new seal will fix it, the old one is very loose in places.

Might be worth checking the mounting plates / ball fittings for the tailgate struts as they have been known to leak through the mounting screws on other cars

• 3 weeks later...