Favorit rear dampers

Hi all

I am coming to the end of my patience trying to find the correct parts for my 1994 Favorit

I bought some rear dampers last year from Skoda parts CZ but for various reasons I have only just got around to trying to fit them. However the bottom spring cup is much smaller than the ones currently fitted.  Mine is a June 94 registered hatchback but I have no way of telling the build date as all of the sites with VIN number checks don't recognise my VIN.  I am sick of wasting time and money on wrong parts. Does anyone know where I can check the VIN or find someone who can definitely say which parts I need

thanks 

5 hours ago, wesacosa said:

as all of the sites with VIN number checks don't recognise my VIN.

Same problem with me. Every time they employees in the parts store ask for my VIN, i give it to them (plus photos from the label) and no results at all, is unrecognizable.

Every single time i have to full describe my car (model, year, doors, HP etc).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wesacosa said:

my 1994 Favorit

I bought some rear dampers last yea

Take a look at the Application

https://www.nanodatex.com/o/687958-rear-shock-absorber-l-p-skoda-favorit-felicia

You have bought something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232126403088

What's the ETKA number?

Some CZ (except the one that you bought) and Poland stores have many parts for our cars which can not find them elsewere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wesacosa said:

However the bottom spring cup is much smaller than the ones currently fitted. 

Do you have a picture? I'm not aware of any change in rear damper springs dimensions from early Favorits to the Felicia. But I think I read about early model dampers with separate cups - not sure if they were front, rear or which model year...

7 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Mine is a June 94 registered hatchback but I have no way of telling the build date as all of the sites with VIN number checks don't recognise my VIN. 

VW VIN format has model year on 10th place. I never checked whether that works for Favorit, too, but you can give it a try.

N - 92

P - 93

R - 94

Note, the model year starts in summer of the previous year, so MR94 was produced from summer 93 to summer 94.

• Like 1

I will get some pictures tomorrow, the cup is not separate but it's 5-10mm smaller diameter than the ones on there. everything else looks the same

VIN is R so its 94 MY but the changeover for a lot of parts according to the parts catalogue was early 1994 so I have no way to know if mine is late 93 or early 94 (other than it was registered June 94)

14 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I bought these parts but that lower spring cup is about 5-10mm smaller than the parts currently fitted to the car 

I am not a mechanic but your current rear shocks are the original from Skoda? The new ones do not fit at all?

For example: I have Koni Orange, they didn't fit ''exactly'' but with a small modification from the repair-shop are OK and i have them on use for many years

I don't believe this is a model year issue, because like papez, I think that the dimensions should be the same across all favorits/felicias (bar pickup versions)

I think it is a case of aftermarket parts that just don't quite fit

Have you tryed fitting the spring to the new damper yet?

Also, I don't know if it's just me but in the 2nd picture it looks as if the distance from the spring seat to the bottom bushing hole center is longer on the new one

• Like 1

I think its just a quirk of the camera angle in picture 2. the length is the same. everything looks the same apart from the cup size. I haven't tried fitting the spring yet. It was next on the list but my spring compressors were a bit short and I couldn't get it off first time and not had a chance to try again.  I agree it could just be the aftermarket difference but the OEM part number checker on Skoda parts.CZ said they match the pre 94 oem part number(115 035 001)

and not the 94 onwards (115 035 004)

Just now, R_U_AFA said:

Just had a quick look and the cup is available seperatly Part 115395210, but again it's from skoda-parts

I think that's for the earlier ones which are two part design.  The later ones are welded to the damper tube 

1995 Skoda Favorit-Form_-Pickup Czech Republic market Rear axle Suspension rear.htm

So etka  does say that pre 94 there are different springs and dampers set part 115035001 for damper and part for 115350300 spring insted of, 115035004 damper and 6U6511115A spring

I don't know if the attachment will work or helpUntitled4564.thumb.jpg.dc97b78e8a5795a62868c985fe8f3d35.jpg

107305000.png

• Thanks 1

Skoda parts.cz just got back to me and said 115035004 was discontinued in 2017.  Really not sure where I go from here. can't just keep blindly wasting money on part that don't fit and its seemingly impossible to find out the difference between a 115035004 and a 115035001

I wouldn't say that this is 100% correct, but I would think that the only differance between factory original 115035004 and a 115035001 parts would be the bounce and rebound rates, mabey skoda decided to change them to give a sportier or smoother ride, depending on the way the settings changed. The change probabally wouldn't be noticable during normal driving.

I'd have a go at fitting the spring to your new damper and see how it looks. When I changed mine I didn't need a spring compresser, but my springs may have sagged a little over time

Failing that you could keep going with your old set, they don't look as if they are leaking and with a quick spray of black paint would easily pass an MOT test.

And if you don't like the thought of reusing old ones, I'm sure a set of dampers from any felicia car or estate will fit (there are some on ebay for £30, just don't get the sachs ones again because they are listed on there aswell)

• Like 1

I would be ok using the dampers again but the bushes are gone, so those would need addressing

I tired to get the springs off today but my compressors are a bit short and they compressors the middle of the spring but Stretch the ends so I can't get the tension off the top mount. Will have to try and get hold of some longer compressors

32 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

the bushes are gone

Exact same problem I had, couldn't get the bottom bush seperatly, so had to buy a new pair of dampers

35 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

I tired to get the springs off today but my compressors are a bit short and they compressors the middle of the spring but Stretch the ends so I can't get the tension off the top mount. Will have to try and get hold of some longer compressors

Your spring compressors look a similar size to the the type I used, and then found that I didn't need. As you unwind the top nut, it naturally relieves the spring tension, and you get to a point where all the tension is released before the nut is fully off(remember that the nut can allways be re-tightened as long as it remains on the threaded portion)I'll also point out at this point that it's easier to uncrack the tension off the the top nut, with the rear suspension unit still in the car with the weight on the wheels.

You could also try, when you have compressed the spring keep the compression in the center of spring by using some exhaust/axle u clamps or something similer, then release, and reset the compressors, and then re-compress the spring, just be very carefull if you try this!

I fact forget that, as seen as you have 3 compressors, you can compress the spring with 2 then start to use the 3rd one once you've reached the limit of travel in the first 2, again be carefull if attempting this!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wesacosa said:

spring cups definitely smaller but to be fair they look ok once assembled 

Just an idea: A metal ring as in the wheel spacers can not be weld in a repair-shop so the cap would be one-click wider?

An example but of course not so thick.

• Like 1

I think, a product carrying "Made In Germany" on it has its engineering made proper. I don't think it will cause you any trouble in the future.

Good work by the way. Keep it up. :thumbup:

Here is what I've installed. (The sticker on the product box)

DSC_20221020_165616.thumb.JPG.2eef7912d201861881eb5c7135435e6a.JPG

I don't think you can find this in UK tough.

A more universal part locally sold is:

Monroe 23821

Listed with OEM number: 115395001

Seller's compatibility list: (Meaning it will "fit" but doesn't mean absolutely proper!)

Skoda Favorit L (89-92)

Skoda Favorit LX (93-95)

Skoda Favorit Pick-Up L (92-93)

Skoda Favorit Pick-Up LX (93-95)

Skoda Felicia 1.3 MPI

Skoda Felicia 1.6 MPI ( AEE )

Skoda Felicia Combi

Skoda Felicia LX - GLX (95-97)

Skoda Felicia LX - GLX (98-01) Facelift

Skoda Forman L (89-92)

Skoda Forman LX (93-95)

I worked a lot on the car, and I've encountered many "replacement parts not fitting" type of problems. For example, door handles. I've modified them a little bit to fit to their place.

Some parts for our cars are not available any more. I'm also collecting knowledge to fit parts from other cars' parts.

Feel free to PM me for any question if you don't like posting a topic about it. (I won't ask anything for return)

Only thing I don't have a slightest idea could be SPI fuel system on your Favorit because I have a carb. system.

• Thanks 1