Are creaking anti roll bar bushes replaceable? Big job?

Still plagued by front suspension creaking coming from the anti-rollbar bushes.  Greasing them helps for a while but would love a permanent solution.

Does anyone know if the bushings are replaceable and if so is it a big job? Was thinking Polyurethane replacements which might be quieter.

Bushes are not replaceable, comes as a complete anti roll bar.

To remove the anti roll bar you have to remove the complete subframe from the vehicle.

Powerflex offer an aftermarket replacement where you have to cut the old ones off, still have to remove the anti roll bar from the car first. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

That is disappointing to hear. Saw an Autodoc video where they replaced the bushings on an Octavia while on the car. I was hoping it was similar.

Even the mk3 octavia is the same. 

Im assuming it may of been an older octavia?

This video on a Superb Mk2 shows it is possible to replace the bushings without removing the sway bar (on rear axle):

Sad, if it can't be done the same way on Mk3...   

Isn’t it the front that creek like billyo? Well, they do on ours. When I chucked it in on on warranty back in ‘20, I think all the main dealer did was to squirt a load of PTFE spray in between the bushes and ARB, whIch shut it up for a year or so. I just ignore it now. 

36 minutes ago, numskull said:

I think all the main dealer did was to squirt a load of PTFE spray in between the bushes and ARB, whIch shut it up for a year or so. I just ignore it now. 

All the same for me... Sometimes I spray some silicon lubricant when I change engine oil or swap summer / winter tyres.

On 28/10/2022 at 14:38, ApertureS said:

Bushes are not replaceable, comes as a complete anti roll bar.

To remove the anti roll bar you have to remove the complete subframe from the vehicle.

Powerflex offer an aftermarket replacement where you have to cut the old ones off, still have to remove the anti roll bar from the car first. 

I'm surprised to hear the bushes themselves can't be replaced.  I know pretty much nothing about cars so I'm not saying you're wrong but I thought I had seen several threads on here about either replacing the ARB bushes or else lubricating them with lithium grease.  But maybe I misunderstood how the lithium grease was applied.

22 hours ago, Awesam said:

Isn't the creaking more to do with the top mounts rather than the bushes? 

A year or so ago my front suspension was making a hell of a noise after any longish drive.  It sounded like a rusty bed that was about to fall apart even if I just moved the steering slightly at low speed.  It turned out that was a worn ball joint but a main dealer and local garage had both failed to spot it.  Luckily the third garage picked it up during the MOT.

I still have a bit of light creaking when going over speed bumps etc but hoping to get the ARB bushes lubricated with lithium grease at the next service.

7 minutes ago, DB72 said:

I still have a bit of light creaking when going over speed bumps etc but hoping to get the ARB bushes lubricated with lithium grease at the next service.

Very easy to do yourself if you get tired of the noise.

Just now, Danoid said:

How are people greasing them if you can’t get to them? Any pictures would be handy

Use white lithium spray grease. If you look under the car from behind each wheel arch you can see the bushes and you can reach under and spray them. In my car (1.4tsi) you can access the passenger side from the engine bay as well.  Just saturate the bushes with spray.

• Like 1

Just now, Steviedakota said:

Use white lithium spray grease. If you look under the car from behind each wheel arch you can see the bushes and you can reach under and spray them. In my car (1.4tsi) you can access the passenger side from the engine bay as well.  Just saturate the bushes with spray.

Ah I see, I don’t have the issue but sounds like I probably will at some point so good to know 

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

Ah I see, I don’t have the issue but sounds like I probably will at some point so good to know 

It seems to be more in the diesel cars than the petrol models, I only ever had the creaking where it was loud in the diesel, I get it a small bit in the iV but only when it's very cold and the suspension is fully extended, speed ramps etc. 

On 28/10/2022 at 14:23, Steviedakota said:

Still plagued by front suspension creaking coming from the anti-rollbar bushes.

Does the mkII Superb suffer from this as well? I think I have the same issue.