12V Socket seems to have gone permanently live !?!?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone got any knowledge or experience of the 12v socket in the front of their vehicle becoming permanently live when it previously didn't appear to be?

I have a dash cam which I plug into the 12v socket, and for the first couple of months of having the car, it turned off when I parked up and removed the ignition key - suggesting that the socket was on an ignition live rather than permanent live.

I checked the settings on the dash cam and it is set up to turn off after 1 minute of turning off ignition.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Is it something that can be changed on the VCDS for instance?

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

19 minutes ago, varooom said:

It might be that the car is not going to sleep now, where it was before.  So the ignition off is no longer shutting down the socket and other things.

I don't recall it being a coding thing, but can check tomorrow as I have VCDS.

Cheers Buddy.

I'll send you a message later to check all still good for tomorrow and get the address. 

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

As far as I can see, the socket has always been permanently live, unless someone has modified it since leaving factory.

Not sure why the dash cam used to go into a sleep mode and no longer does - strange one . . . . 

Just to add my experiences etc:

1) The power socket is always live. Do  not make my mistake and leave a device plugged  in, as it will (and did!) fully drain the battery. Absolutely nothing worked  - even the key fob could not open the door.

As an aside, all Superb owners should find out how to open the driver's door without the fob - look it up NOW! If you get a flat battery, with doors locked, you need to be able to get inside to release the bonnet catch to get to the battery.

2) When I fitted my Mivue dash cam, I wired it up to the fuse panel by the driver's door. I also bought their "battery saver" which monitors the battery voltage and disconnects the dash cam power supply when voltage drops to a level which IIRC you can set yourself.

• Love it! 1

With my Superb II (facelift) all the 12v sockets (front & boot) are permanently live. To run a coolbox in the boot that turns off with the engine I wired up a split relay(PCT Volton Relay ZR1220) that plugs into the boot 12v socket and outputs to another socket for the cool box. On my travels it's one way I know stop start has kicked in - the coolbox turns off!