Just bought used 2021 Mk IV- have I made a mistake?!

Hi all..

New to this forum.

I bought an 8k miles 2021 used SE Technology Octavia a few weeks ago with manufacturers warranty remaining.

Within a couple of days had the loud pop pop sounds followed by SOS warning light. This then happened nearly every trip. Also regular airbag warnings, parking sensors warnings and others I can't remember right now.

There's also a very annoying vibration from the dashboard that is constant while driving.

Contacted Skoda and car went into dealer last week. They said it had an outstanding recall for software update that is related to the SOS warnings and likely the other warnings.

Got the car back after 3 days (yesterday) and can see the software version has changed. However the Pop Pop and SOS warning has already happened 3 times today.

The dealer said that the vibration in the dashboard is not covered under warranty? Is that right? It's incredibly annoying.

Just wondering if we've made a mistake. I'd love the car if these issues could be resolved but now I've read this forum I'm concerned that this is still an unresolved issues with this car.

Anyone had these issues fixed successfully?

Also, I’d like to think the dealer would have applied ALL s/ware updates and fixes before selling it. Quite disappointing.

Keep the pressure on the dealer to get everything fixed. The Octy4 is a lovely car, surprisingly economical (well, I was surprised anyway! My 1.5 tsi is pretty much on a par for mpg as my (two cars previous) Octy 2 1.6tdi; and much nicer place to be.

Oh! And more importantly, welcome to the forums 😊👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi BritishBeef,
I have the same issue with 2020 Octavia PHEV. When I had all possible errors (airbags, parking sensors, roadsign recognition, etc), dealer changed main entertainment module, as they described it. Then it got worse and after I came back, they applied another software update (it looks like international issue that dealers don't bother with software updates unless there are issues or you push on them), and most of the issues disappeared. But Travel Assist and Emergency Assist are still failing and giving errors, and the only answer I got from official Skoda workshop is that there is still no fix for that and they are waiting for update from Skoda. In the other topics on this forum you may see that other people have similar experience with Octavia. Funny enough, after Enyaqs were updated to ME3, software-wise they became very similar to Octavias and... they got the same issues with TA and EA failing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sneal said:

The Octy4 is a lovely car, surprisingly economical (well, I was surprised anyway! My 1.5 tsi is pretty much on a par for mpg as my (two cars previous) Octy 2 1.6tdi; and much nicer place to be.

Get a tsi dsg vRS estate and then tell me it's economical. It's NOT!! Not why I bought one admittedly but expected better than i'm getting.

8 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Get a tsi dsg vRS estate and then tell me it's economical. It's NOT!! Not why I bought one admittedly but expected better than i'm getting.

What petrol are you using? I've got a mk3 manual and long term average I'm getting 36mpg. On a long run low 40's is easily achievable though I do drive with economy in mind. The reason I ask is because when I first used the e10 stuff I noticed quite a drop in mpg so have switched to sainsbury's super unleaded which is 97 Ron and It works out cheaper than using e10. 

59 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Guess this is why I said I was surprised by the 1.5 manual estate…

Last week a trip up the M3 & A316  (Winchester to Kew return) at legal limits and 5pm traffic on the back gave 60mpg. Today, 70 mile trip back from rural Dorest it was 66mpg.

Off topic though, oops😬 

1 hour ago, Edela said:

(it looks like international issue that dealers don't bother with software updates unless there are issues or you push on them

It's not so much about dealers, as about importers/distributors and manufacturer. They are not willin to pay dealerships for software upgrades, unless they are done to resolve some isues reported by a customer.

It's all about the money...

I bet dealership would be happy to upgrade, if it get's paid for the service. Under warranty it should be distributor that is paying, but... they are just not willing to, unless customer has some issue.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BritishBeef said:

Hi all..

New to this forum.

I bought an 8k miles 2021 used SE Technology Octavia a few weeks ago with manufacturers warranty remaining.

Within a couple of days had the loud pop pop sounds followed by SOS warning light. This then happened nearly every trip. Also regular airbag warnings, parking sensors warnings and others I can't remember right now.

There's also a very annoying vibration from the dashboard that is constant while driving.

Contacted Skoda and car went into dealer last week. They said it had an outstanding recall for software update that is related to the SOS warnings and likely the other warnings.

Got the car back after 3 days (yesterday) and can see the software version has changed. However the Pop Pop and SOS warning has already happened 3 times today.

The dealer said that the vibration in the dashboard is not covered under warranty? Is that right? It's incredibly annoying.

Just wondering if we've made a mistake. I'd love the car if these issues could be resolved but now I've read this forum I'm concerned that this is still an unresolved issues with this car.

Anyone had these issues fixed successfully?

What sort of vibration/noise are you experiencing? I've done a lot of soundproofing on my own O4, I might be able to track it down for you if I could get a more detailed description 😉

Edited by Jorgeminator
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sneal said:

Also, I’d like to think the dealer would have applied ALL s/ware updates and fixes before selling it. Quite disappointing.

Keep the pressure on the dealer to get everything fixed. The Octy4 is a lovely car, surprisingly economical (well, I was surprised anyway! My 1.5 tsi is pretty much on a par for mpg as my (two cars previous) Octy 2 1.6tdi; and much nicer place to be.

Oh! And more importantly, welcome to the forums 😊👍

I bought the car from Motorpoint. That's presumably why the updates haven't been done.

I've got the 1 litre engine Estate which I was concerned wouldn't be powerful enough but have been really surprised. Gets a solid 70mpg at 70mph on the motorway too.

12 hours ago, Jorgeminator said:

What sort of vibration/noise are you experiencing? I've done a lot of soundproofing on my own O4, I might be able to track it down for you if I could get a more detailed description 😉

The dealer said it's coming from behind the binnacle. It's just not standard vibration like a slightly loose plastic trim etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 22:23, Edela said:

Hi BritishBeef,
I have the same issue with 2020 Octavia PHEV. When I had all possible errors (airbags, parking sensors, roadsign recognition, etc), dealer changed main entertainment module, as they described it. Then it got worse and after I came back, they applied another software update (it looks like international issue that dealers don't bother with software updates unless there are issues or you push on them), and most of the issues disappeared. But Travel Assist and Emergency Assist are still failing and giving errors, and the only answer I got from official Skoda workshop is that there is still no fix for that and they are waiting for update from Skoda. In the other topics on this forum you may see that other people have similar experience with Octavia. Funny enough, after Enyaqs were updated to ME3, software-wise they became very similar to Octavias and... they got the same issues with TA and EA failing.

I went back to dealer 4 weeks ago. The info they gave me was they had (again) changing the steering wheel because of software in the steering wheel. The new steering wheel still didn't arrive. 

The problem seems to appear with steering wheels who have ACC, steering wheel heating and travel assist combined (so they told me). Because all those systems are connected and 1 of them gives an error all other systems give errors to, unlike a VW golf, where they seem to be separated