Time to end Public servants non-contribution pension scheme and move to contribution type, so Public servants can financial plan like private industry employees ?

lol-lol

lol-lol, a couple of years back, BT enforced a lump sum payment on staff. Staff were not amused as the lump sum was not free from deductions and then they had a lump-sum salary increase forced on them, so I'd be surprised if other unions accepted that. This year after some strike time another rise has appeared. I haven't heard anymore on the BT rise, but the tale of BT staff sounds familiar to the NHS one?

4 hours ago, VWD said:

lol-lol, a couple of years back, BT enforced a lump sum payment on staff. Staff were not amused as the lump sum was not free from deductions and then they had a lump-sum salary increase forced on them, so I'd be surprised if other unions accepted that. This year after some strike time another rise has appeared. I haven't heard anymore on the BT rise, but the tale of BT staff sounds familiar to the NHS one?

It has become the norm as it is so much a better way for the employer.  Employees, who are standard rate taxpayers, need to be aware that one losses £470 through Income Tax and National Insurance has being taken so ones needs £1470 for every £1K "net" to hit their pay packet.

I, like increasing numbers of employees as the higher 40 % tax rate the starting level has been frozen, one needs £1,724 gross to see a £1k arrive in the "net" box of one's payslip.

Employers like the "one off payment" as they are not upping the on going pay levels which would effect employer pension contributions, cost of death in service etc.

If the employer is the UK government then they are the ones taking back the current massive direct tax burden though the payslip as well as VAT on what we spend so they know whatever figure they offer and pay the public employees they will claw a lot of it back through the record level of taxation.

I am sure the union staff negotiating the pay settlement know all these points and well only settle for a decent net settlement.    

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2022 at 13:09, @Lee said:

I remember one constituency had applied to build a new one but it's business case had hit a brick wall. Maybe they should have a word with their Conservative MP.

For info - if you were referring to the new Hillingdon Hospital in Uxbridge (Boris's constituency) - you'll be pleased to hear it's just been granted planning approval at the Committee Mtg this evening that I've just been party to.

The formal application was submitted in June 2022 last year...

It won't be open for a long time though as it has a hellish complicated construction phasing and programme...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

For info - if you were referring to the new Hillingdon Hospital in Uxbridge (Boris's constituency) - you'll be pleased to hear it's just been granted planning approval at the Committee Mtg this evening that I've just been party to.

The formal application was submitted in June 2022 last year...

It won't be open for a long time though as it has a hellish complicated construction phasing and programme...

They've got some time to find enough properly paid Doctors and Nurses to staff it then 😉

Johnson will most likely be gone by the time it's open.

• Like 1