Porsche Boxster 2025

vrskeith

No need for any fake engine noises as you will have enough noise from the tyres as you truck about at 70 mph if even that.

Not that many Porsche drivers seem to get up to the max NSL's, but they will pass whoever is in front then hold them up.

Then many EV drivers are sitting below the NSL as they try to get about where they want to go without public charging & Porsche EV drivers are no different. 

• Like 2

I hate fake engine noises or any fake noise for "driver engagement". It's totally unnecessary.

EV motors have their own character already. Under max power, I've found Leaf motor have a different sound to Tesla motors. The sound changes according to speed, just like ICE. Difference is they are completely silent during normal use, which is much better. 

Only necessary fake sounds are a gentle sound for warning pedestrians at low speed and car park reverse warning sound. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Only necessary fake sounds are a gentle sound for warning pedestrians at low speed and car park reverse warning sound. 

What about the villages with 40, 50 or even 60 speed limits? Pedestrians need to hear an oncoming vehicle not just see it (especially if they are blind or partially sighted)?

IMHO as well as a maximum noise level (been part of Type Approval for years) there should also be a minimum speed related noise level for ALL vehicles and if that can't be met by tyre & wind noise then a fake sound is necessary.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Confused 1

My electric car built 2020! Makes no noise at low speed and I know that and drive accordingly, especially in car parks.    At 40 mph an EV makes a noise from the tyres.  Blind or partially sighted will hear them or should.  Those on a phone or with headphones seem to not even hear hgv,s busses or trams let alone cars.  I live in a town with the Guide Dog training centre.   I notice that the dogs appear to not hear EV,s or my one as driving slow at a crossing or junction.   I see that the trainers often do not hear my come along the road or look my way or at the dog.   Cars with engines off due to stop / start also seem to catch out dogs in training.    ICE cars coasting to a halt as as silent as ev,s.  No noise emitted from them as a warning as the roll on to a stop. 

Edited by toot

10 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

What about the villages with 40, 50 or even 60 speed limits?

Tyre noise becomes audible above ~15 mph. 

For forward driving, a driver activated gentle reminder sound would be better than constant pedestrian warning noise. Because constant sound is rarely noticed by people enclosed in their bubble.

44 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

For forward driving, a driver activated gentle reminder sound would be better than constant pedestrian warning noise.

That's assuming the driver sees the pedestrian, who may be hidden behind parked vehicles.

As with all road safety issues there's no easy answer, but if the injury/death rate of pedestrians is seen to rise involving EVs compared to ICEs you can be 100% sure that the media will get onto the story, so better to not even get to that point.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

http://www.worknest.com/blog/electric-vehicles-a-silent-danger-for-employers

I am sure they will run articles in the media.

Ones very negative unless their publishing group owners are invested in EV's, manufacturing, promoting, subscription / leasing etc.

http://shponline.co.uk/road-safety/increased-risk-to-public-as-near-silent-electric-vehicles-become-more-common-driver-training-firm-says

Newspaper & Magazine and parcel / mail deliveries will be mostly by EV in built up areas in the very near future.

But as it is there have been EV's on the roads for over a decade. Many Taxis in the likes of Dundee if anyone wants Research Grants to do the figures on Accidents.

These were cars pre EU Legislation for Type Approval and making a noise for pedestrains.

Cyclists are something you really need to be aware of not hearing you,  but then many can not hear a diesel waiting to get passed them, and mirrors are not mandatory.

Or being able to look behind without wobbling all over the road.

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 21/11/2022 at 08:47, wyx087 said:

I hate fake engine noises or any fake noise for "driver engagement". It's totally unnecessary.

EV motors have their own character already. Under max power, I've found Leaf motor have a different sound to Tesla motors. The sound changes according to speed, just like ICE. Difference is they are completely silent during normal use, which is much better. 

Renault are quite sounds, bit spacy.  I was hoping for something like a Tie Fighter.

• Like 1

There's a Zoe just further into the closed residential area. When I'm in my garden, which backs onto the road they take, I hear the spacy Zoe sound everytime it drives past. 

I much prefer that to the "symphony" BMW gives to their recent EV's. My neighbour bought a X1 PHEV, the sound is really strange and not distinctive. 

Tesla reversing sound is also quite spacy and interesting. 

As a partially sighted cyclist whose cruising speed is 20-25 km/h and where most of my local lanes are not wide enough for a vehicle to pass without a signal from me I can confirm that EV's make just as much noise as petrol or diesel powered vehicles when they are approaching behind, the bigger the vehicle and tyres the noisier it is, EV's tend to be the noisiest.

On 21/11/2022 at 11:03, toot said:

Cyclists are something you really need to be aware of not hearing you,  but then many can not hear a diesel waiting to get passed them, and mirrors are not mandatory.

Or being able to look behind without wobbling all over the road.

The latter gets harder with age!

I have no vision from the left eye so cycling on the right of French roads is a particular challenge, I rely on my hearing but the faster I cycle the more wind noise there is the less I can hear.

The other night I could hear a vehicle waiting behind me to pass, it was the main A road to Bordeaux so there was enough width but he was respecting Le Code de la Route requiring him to leave at least 1m space, when he passed I gestured to thank him moving my right arms to the left and giving a thumbs up, he then pulled in sharply in front of me and brake violently to a halt, I have SPD pedals and had to brake so quickly I could not release my feet to stop, I passed on his inside and he pulled away and tried to squeeze me into the ditch, this carried on with him also trying to push me into oncoming traffic, I dismounted but he drove off when confronted.

Once I had calmed down I realised he had not seen my thumb but a bent arm and clenched fist being raised, the French bras d'honneur 😯 hence his reaction, I now only signal with my left hand, but for the SPD pedals I could have kicked out my left foot to signify thanks as motorcyclists do which is often misinterpreted as an act of aggression by UK drivers.

• Like 1