Front window fan failed & rear demister, are they linked?

ddan1275

I have a 2010 TDI elegance and yesterday the blower stopped working on for the front window. The console turns on and you can hear it opening the vents but no blower. 

Today I've noticed the rear window is only slightly demisting from one side partially but never fully demisting the window over a 20 mile journey, it looks like partial heat transfer from one side to the other. 

Are these linked anywhere to have both gone at the same time?

Assumption: Elegance trim = climatronic (the automatic one), not climatic (the manual one)

Not specifically linked.  The relay for the rear-demister is controlled from the J519 control unit (AKA central electronics) whereas the blower motor control unit J126 is powered directly from the fuse box.

Both of these units are instructed to operate by the climatronic control panel J255 but the magnitude of the rear window heating is simply on/off via a relay so I can't seem them being related.  More likely the poor heating is due to a bad connection, perhaps on the glass connectors (that's just a guess from me).

TLDR:

J255 (Clima panel) --CAN--> J519 (CE) --POWER--> Relay --POWER--> Rear Demister

J255 (Clima panel) --CAN--> J126 (blower control unit) --POWER--> Blower fan

A VCDS or VAS scan would be helpful.

image.png.04ba79fce17b483ccefc0e3d717622ff.png

image.png.9d994f40a5a4b1919310889dc53216b7.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. Yes your assumptions are correct, the dual climate control. I've checked all of the fuses on the drivers side door panel and all seem to be ok so I'm assuming it's the fan unit itself under the bonnet which people say is common.

The rear window demister I will monitor, it seemed to be working better the following day. Not sure why it was just one side, maybe the connections are getting corroded, the rear wiper motor needs replaced so when I do that I'll clean them.

4 hours ago, ddan1275 said:

Thanks for that. Yes your assumptions are correct, the dual climate control. I've checked all of the fuses on the drivers side door panel and all seem to be ok so I'm assuming it's the fan unit itself under the bonnet which people say is common.

The rear window demister I will monitor, it seemed to be working better the following day. Not sure why it was just one side, maybe the connections are getting corroded, the rear wiper motor needs replaced so when I do that I'll clean them.

The fan is inside the car above the passenger footwell.

Is your car a saloon or an estate ? 

On 30/11/2022 at 23:11, Derbyshirebod said:

The fan is inside the car above the passenger footwell.

Is your car a saloon or an estate ? 

its an estate, i was told you access it from under the bonnet by the passenger footwell? £140 for a new one

41 minutes ago, ddan1275 said:

its an estate, i was told you access it from under the bonnet by the passenger footwell? £140 for a new one

£140 fitted ? you can buy a new fan for under £50 on Ebay.

The intake to the heater fan is below the windscreen under the bonnet. I took the windscreen wipers off my car the other day and removed the panels under them to access the drain duct and I saw the fan heater intake I doubt very much the fan will come out through there. 

If the rear heated window isn't work I'd check the earth feed wire inside the rubber gaiter on the off side of the tailgate. I had to peel all the foam of the wire to find it was broken. As with the door wiring looms the cable insulation looses it's elasticity and the wire breaks because of all the flexing in the hinge area.

20220214_163134.thumb.jpg.c3503e874e66f630857403f68a569299.jpg20220214_163127.thumb.jpg.e2c66e5d1042ed9086d1a55a6e5c52a3.jpg

Edited by Derbyshirebod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it next weekend in some day light. The £140 was for the fan unit from Europarts not fitted. I read that it's a 20 minute swap over thats why i was asking about location. I'm going to keep an eye on the rear demister, it seemed to work the other day so it could the connection or wire could be breaking down as you say. I'll post back when I get a look at the fan asap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 00:03, Derbyshirebod said:

£140 fitted ? you can buy a new fan for under £50 on Ebay.

Where these for a new one or used? Dual climate control?

I've not had chance to do it with the cold weather so looking to sort it soon.

2 hours ago, ddan1275 said:

Where these for a new one or used? Dual climate control?

I've not had chance to do it with the cold weather so looking to sort it soon.

I don't imagine it makes any difference if the car is dual climate or not. These heater fan motors are common to a lot of other vehicles.

I think you will have to remove the glove box to change it ? I've not looked how to remove it on my 2012 Superb but will probably have to change / clean it at some point. If I corner heavily the fan starts to make a noise from the passenger footwell. These are new fans that show as fitting my car which has dual climate control.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254325264592?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Cars+Type%3A2.0+TDI+16V|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II|Cars+Year%3A2012|Model%3ASuperb|Variant%3ADiesel+Estate|Engine%3A1968cc+103KW+140HP+BKD%3BCFFB%3BCLJA|BodyStyle%3AFWD+II+3T5|Variant%3ADiesel+Estate|Engine%3A1968cc+103KW+140HP+BKD%3BCFFB%3BCLJA|BodyStyle%3AFWD+II+3T5&epid=25024242276&hash=item3b36f790d0:g:WCUAAOSw8a5iSyEN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABACGrV4G1bureKHDsp1U59Pjxkvlg0fQKl1I1dxWFgZX%2BKUHd40AbYo%2BE6q6QqUk4UF1Z8uNqn52m5eriUjOFMrK2bcMAoMFr2Zke5vWEz2uxAtH0E9B2XJM5B6j1wEeAp4sWb7IEIOfh0aNgid2GCNrUkXviUPpnsIX%2BPXUU2pzn%2F72FZ9R5CvgBjR%2BFn5Xx3xoR8HZuJL4iPexYdxS5EXrhCX3aLTVaM2O0GEYTPOAkFG%2BnqDeQ%2Ff9BXw4zxEsXMwih7PEhRUTuZbpB5pJp8ZjzRQV4bc%2BJPxVUYendMGEI3%2Fnbv08gNgm%2FMTXHPEKHf5xSdDwMAdC7CkDjXxnLUbE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5C8y_KkYQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193788975953?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Cars+Type%3A2.0+TDI+16V|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II|Cars+Year%3A2012|Model%3ASuperb|Variant%3ADiesel+Estate|Engine%3A1968cc+103KW+140HP+BKD%3BCFFB%3BCLJA|BodyStyle%3AFWD+II+3T5|Variant%3ADiesel+Estate|Engine%3A1968cc+103KW+140HP+BKD%3BCFFB%3BCLJA|BodyStyle%3AFWD+II+3T5&hash=item2d1eb91b51:g:o5cAAOSwi3Bfz58T&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAGwWJh6teXhmdZOpDKiCG8e2ROPWWv7WyewAub6TCUGpcKstJGUNV9Mh6RAkvsC31C6%2F9ee5bdXfEplbvmMdnMLZ9kckiv7K6uAGGsUbBZq3Vfw2MstMmmBf1qTpjzNCo2y%2FhPmwE3AMizNmdd8qSYathfdiTd1sB%2FmyAQoTEy149KSnUgX%2B9HheswXoxrEjdtrVC8Q1kyPyS2wVVdizbTun3VbqEE2HfgI2z4mbV72Fz0BFJwMBGfOWox4SjB52G40StzGIGjTJmwDjs%2FLujzDg6smlNBEue9kY1C%2FHZWZ209xWYwoXHZznmCPGhD03cAr3GB%2Bdn%2BmAduPrSqru8q0%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5C8y_KkYQ

Edited by Derbyshirebod

The dual climate models need a blower fan with a built in resistor, which is why they cost more.

As Derbyshirebod mentioned, the fan is behind the lower part of the glovebox on the passenger side. You can access it with the glove box in situ, but you need to half turn the unit to engage / remove it, so  much easier to do if you remove the glove box first.

Edited by Smart Pro

6 hours ago, Smart Pro said:

The dual climate models need a blower fan with a built in resistor, which is why they cost 

Those listings say they fit my car which has dual climate. But not all listings are correct as I found out monday  night when the tailgate dampers I ordered arrived and are the wrong length!!

7 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

Those listings say they fit my car which has dual climate. But not all listings are correct as I found out monday  night when the tailgate dampers I ordered arrived and are the wrong length!!

You maybe doing this already, but if you input the exact details of your car into the 'Parts that fit' feature when searching for car parts on Ebay, it should show the parts, which fit your car, although some listings state, 'Contact Seller'. In addition / alternatively, go on www.lllparts.co.uk or search lll parts Skoda), choose Skoda EU, Superb, click on parts diagrams and you can find the part number for the blower and cross check that with the listing. The resistor part of the blower motor for the dual climate variants has an obvious metallic (looks like a heatsink) part attached to the plastic casing.

Edited by Smart Pro

On 21/12/2022 at 17:57, Derbyshirebod said:

Only just seen this thread..my superb elegance heater blower stopped working. I am no auto guy but the blower can be removed without taking anything  out apart from removing the carpet trim jobby beneath the glove box...took me 15 minutes to remove...clean..gt85 spray then refit...working great .there is a great old thread on here about the easy removal .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking for some parts advice please.

Ive only just removed this now, managed to find 2 on ebay but unsure if theyll be the correct one for my dual climate control model superb estate diesel. Both links have the same codes showing as my parts if im looking correctly. But they are £25 price difference with delivery.

Euro parts was dpuble them prices.

See links and photos.

The £53.49 link has a matching code of 1K2820015G

The £70 link has the 3C0 907 521 F

Both have the metal heat sink part attached.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383644361317?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=eo3flM5cSvO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ik-l4TyNR9m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155281654077?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rmxY6GIRSX-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ik-l4TyNR9m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20230322_114218.jpg

20230322_112010.jpg

Edited by ddan1275

Sorry for asking but have you tried to free the fan..I gave mine a bit of a brush out with detailing brush then a good dosing of gt85....worked absolutely fine since...obviously I am assuming the fan has stopped...cant comment on the rear demister though 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I've gave it a spray and plugged it back in and it done nothing. I'm not sure how free it should be but theres still resistance in the fan it doesn't rotate on its own.

The rear demister is now working apart from the rear side glass on both sides for no reason.

The more expensive of the two fans has both numbers from my own fan displayed on their advert where as the cheaper of the two only has one of the codes.

2 hours ago, ddan1275 said:

Looking for some parts advice please.

Ive only just removed this now, managed to find 2 on ebay but unsure if theyll be the correct one for my dual climate control model superb estate diesel. Both links have the same codes showing as my parts if im looking correctly. But they are £25 price difference with delivery.

Euro parts was dpuble them prices.

See links and photos.

The £53.49 link has a matching code of 1K2820015G

The £70 link has the 3C0 907 521 F

Both have the metal heat sink part attached.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383644361317

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155281654077

Part number go as this, 1K2 820 015 G --> 1K2 820 015 H --> which then splits into two choices

1K2 820 021  Fan

3C0 907 521 G  Fan Control (that silver heatsink part you refer to)

You could in theory just go with first cheap choice, or use some of the numbers above to see what you can find.

40 minutes ago, ddan1275 said:

Yeah I've gave it a spray and plugged it back in and it done nothing. I'm not sure how free it should be but theres still resistance in the fan it doesn't rotate on its own.

The rear demister is now working apart from the rear side glass on both sides for no reason.

The more expensive of the two fans has both numbers from my own fan displayed on their advert where as the cheaper of the two only has one of the codes.

I certainly gave mine a good good spray because it did have a lot of resistance .but then some good flicks of the blades loosened up nicely.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 15:52, varooom said:

Part number go as this, 1K2 820 015 G --> 1K2 820 015 H --> which then splits into two choices

1K2 820 021  Fan

3C0 907 521 G  Fan Control (that silver heatsink part you refer to)

You could in theory just go with first cheap choice, or use some of the numbers above to see what you can find.

So i checked with the sender from the cheaper of the two and its arrived but doesnt work.

I now dont know if this is because of the unit sent isn't compatible, or if its because i have another fault which i dont know where to start with that.

I could order the other fan which matched more of the codes. I thought having the visible metal heat sink part would be the correct dual climate model unless they all have this?

My own failed fan is so stiff compared to the new one even after spraying it.

Genuine model on the left.

20230324_135719.jpg

20230324_135754.jpg

• Sad 1

Does the plug come off the "brain" part, and if so can you carefully test with suitable thick power cables if the replacement motor will spin when hotwired?

Have you got multimeter you can check voltages etc, see if the car is trying to power the fan.

Several angles of attack, depends what you are comfortable checking.

• Thanks 1

Update for others.

Fuses next to the drivers door all ok.

Plugged in new and old fans with engine running and disconnected the plug with the red and black wires.

I have power at the harness.

When the harness is connected to the old fan, if i disconnect the 2 wire plug that connects the module to the fan, im getting 13.85V at my module supply the fan. So my fans dead.

The new ebay identical look unit plugged in only has 11.8V at the module and the new fan doesnt work.

Ive plugged the new fan connector into my original old module and everything works.

So the ebay fan unit either has a dodgy connection or its not compatible because the part number 3C0 907 521 F

which is the module part number was missing from the advert despite the seller saying it matches all my codes when asked.

The code 1K2820015G applies to the fan unit.

Ive asked the seller for a partial refund and will hopefully swap over my original module to the new fan.

Maybe purchasing ebay item 2 for £75 was the correct one.

As mines dual climate control model and this new fan has the metal heat sync unit on it that was the standout difference between dual climte and standard air con models.

Would be nice to know if its the wrong model or if i have a faulty module but I'm not great with electrics.

20230325_114937.jpg

20230325_115134.jpg

20230325_115525.jpg

Edited by ddan1275
User had replied before i posted an update reply
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, varooom said:

So a little swap of the metal heatsink/brain thing and you're golden again!

Nice work if so 🤝

Correct.

• Love it! 1