New alloys headache…

Superfi

I was coming up to needing new tyres and decided to finally treat the Fabi (and myself!) to a nice set of alloys. A lot of window-shopping later, and I fell for a set of the VW Atlantas with decent all-weather tyres. Nearly £200 and a day trip later, they’re sitting in the outhouse here, still waiting for me to find a 16” spare. Got impatient yesterday and went to put them on, only to find the bolt alignment is different, and the Atlanta bolt holes sit wider than the holes in the cars hub. I’ve fallen in love with these wheels and really don’t want to have to get rid, but don’t know what to do to put them on cheaply! Can anyone advise?D08050FB-3F02-4FD7-919D-E8AC5BE81946.thumb.jpeg.9412dacda7894294d167c265e88877bb.jpeg

(What Fabi will look like with the Atlantas on 🥰)

I don't know this to be the case but as your Fabi is a mk1 it will likely have 5x100mm wheel studs, whereas from a quick bit of Googling[tm] I believe the Atlanta wheels are 5x112mm.

If this is the case then you would need an adapter plate of some sort between the two stud standards which may itself introduce issues of wheel offsets. I suggest you enquire very carefully as to any proposed solution to ensure it doesn't introduce more problems that it solves,

Update: I found a descriptive listing for some Atlanta wheels on fleabay which shows then as 5x100mm so my comments above may be moot, although as I read your description above it may still be true.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173859782033

BTW the ebay seller above has included contact info right at the bottom of their listing so it might be worth a phone call to ask about your problem and see if they have any solution to offer.

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 2

On 18/12/2022 at 14:51, MikeTheThinker said:

I don't know this to be the case but as your Fabi is a mk1 it will likely have 5x100mm wheel studs, whereas from a quick bit of Googling[tm] I believe the Atlanta wheels are 5x112mm.

If this is the case then you would need an adapter plate of some sort between the two stud standards which may itself introduce issues of wheel offsets. I suggest you enquire very carefully as to any proposed solution to ensure it doesn't introduce more problems that it solves,

Update: I found a descriptive listing for some Atlanta wheels on fleabay which shows then as 5x100mm so my comments above may be moot, although as I read your description above it may still be true.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173859782033

BTW the ebay seller above has included contact info right at the bottom of their listing so it might be worth a phone call to ask about your problem and see if they have any solution to offer.

Atlanta rims have a 5/112 PCD and were fitted to the VW Golf MK5.

1K0601025BM Aluminium rim

'ATLANTA'
6,5JX16H2 ET50
5/112

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/GOLF/474/6/601/601055

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 18/12/2022 at 19:39, AGFalco said:

You would have to be absolutely off your nut to try and make 5x112 wheels fit 5x100 hubs with wobble bolts.

Adaptors is the easiest option, the specs posted above (6.5j et50) mean you could run a 20mm adaptor no problem.  . They would probably cost what you have paid for the wheels though if you only paid £200.

My opinion would be move the wheels on and stick some mk1 octy spyders on instead 👌

Edited by vrs'burks
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

24 minutes ago, vrs'burks said:

You would have to be absolutely off your nut to try and make 5x112 wheels fit 5x100 hubs with wobble bolts.

That's what the (article in the) link was suggesting (not that I'd ever heard of wobble bolts before that I can remember).

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

23 minutes ago, nta16 said:

That's what the (article in the) link was suggesting (not that I'd ever heard of wobble bolts before that I can remember).

It states in the article, you can gain a couple of mm at the most. . 

So you could get 5x98 wheels on a 5x100 hub

Or 5x112 wheels on a 5x114.3 hub. . Etc etc. . 

Trying to get 5x112 wheels on a 5x100 hub . . Would mean a 6mm difference per hole,using 14mm bolts. . .simply impossible.

Edited by vrs'burks

9 hours ago, vrs'burks said:

It states in the article, you can gain a couple of mm at the most. . 

Yes that's the point as I see it, the article is explaining the limitation, a couple of millimetres, not 12.

I'm familiar with (steel) wheels of 100 mm PCD being fitted by mistake to 4" PCD (101.6 mm)  (but not with the silly bloody bolts that VW use though but wheel studs).

On 19/12/2022 at 23:01, vrs'burks said:

Adaptors is the easiest option, the specs posted above (6.5j et50) mean you could run a 20mm adaptor no problem.  . They would probably cost what you have paid for the wheels though if you only paid £200.

My opinion would be move the wheels on and stick some mk1 octy spyders on instead 👌

Yeah that's the kind of price I'm comin across looking for pcd 5x100 to 5x112 converters. My heart loves these wheels but my head agrees with you about just moving them on... 😭 not keen on the spiders tho. I like the double parallel spoke design the Atlantas have...

I actually have two BBS golf 15" alloys sitting there that I'd intended to put on the red Fab, but they need a refurb, another two to make a set, and invariably new tyres too, so would cost more than the pcd converters to get them on the car! 

Back to the drawing board me thinks.... ((epic fail yet again at just making my car look good!))

On 18/12/2022 at 19:39, AGFalco said:

Interesting reading, thanks for sharing, I learned!