Umbrellas + Returning From The Dark Side

YTT

Quick question. Just taken delivery of my new 72-plate 280 L&K and it's missing umbrellas in both driver and passenger doors. When I bought my last one in 2017, it had 'brollys in both doors. I contacted the dealer and was advised that they should come with one umbrella only and that they'd send one to me (hasn't arrived yet). Anyone know if this is correct?

I sold my 67-plate 280 L&K last year, after 4 years of thoroughly enjoyable motoring, for no other reason than I fancied a change, maybe to an SUV type thang. I subsequently bought + sold a Mercedes E450, Infiniti QX30, Jaguar E-Pace, Cupra Formentor and Mercedes GLC43. I also test drove some new cars - Volvo XC40, Volvo XC60, Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q3, Audi Q5, Mercedes GLC250 and VW Tiguan. I think that's all of them, may have missed one or two. I did try and get a drive in a Kodiaq VRS, but gave up after utter disinterest by Skoda dealers. I'd previously tried + rejected saloons from Merc / Audi / BMW etc. After all of that and incurring huge buying + selling losses, I returned to the fold with my new 280 L&K a month or so ago. Climbing back in and driving away from the dealership was sheer bliss. I've greatly compressed this summary, which doesn't convey the pain suffered. Thinking there might be something better out there was an expensive mistake.

• Like 3

I had a new Superb in October which came with just the one umbrella in the drivers door.

I also kept the Skoda umbrella from a previous Superb I had from new so now I've got one in each front door.

Yes, it’s correct. My 2021 Superb came with only a driver’s side umbrella. I pointed it out to the dealer when I took delivery. He promptly went and got a spare umbrella from stock and put it in the passenger door! TBH I’ve never used them - but it’s the principle! 

My MkII came with two umbrellas but my MkIII came with just the one.  I had kept one of the MkII umbrellas but found that the newer umbrellas have a oval shaped handle whereas the earlier ones were round.  The round one will fit in the holder, just about.

The earlier umbrella is much nicer too - a leather handle and nice Skoda scripting on the fabric.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's just the one umbrella, then. I'll buy a second one, but not for the £25+ everyone seems to want. I'll check the dimensions and buy something similar that will fit, for a tenner!

I bought the sales manager's car (1,700 miles). When I picked it up, I noticed there was no umbrella in the passenger door. The manager nicked an umbrella from another car and sent me home happy. 

Five years later, I have never opened either one of those umbrellas.

Folding umbrellas have never lasted long with me, especially when there is wind with the rain. I prefer to carry a more durable smaller golf umbrella and they last for years.

I can relate to your search for the perfect car.

I had a casual job at our airport for a few months where I was able to drive a lot of different, and many expensive cars over admittedly short distances (about 8km) so it was a bit like speed-dating (or what I would imagine speed-dating to be like).

I developed a real dislike of X5s and Toyota Land Cruisers. I found that Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo's were largely overrated and really not good idea in an urban environment and a real pain to park.  Audi A8 were raved over by my colleagues but maybe they raised my expectations too high as it did not hit my button nor did the modified AMG G-Wagon.

The Tesla S was much more pleasant than I expected but even I got range anxiety driving the thing as there was only 20km range on the thing when it was left with us and I was relieved to plug it in a soon as I could. 

So what worked for me? Amongst the larger SUV I liked Land Rover Discovery 4's over the Range Rovers and later Land Rovers which I found to be relatively anodyne although very competent. The real surprise was a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk (6.3 litre V8 supercharged) which had wonderful driving feedback and ride but drank like a sailor on shore leave even at a steady 60kmh.

A V8 manual Mustang totally seduced me after coincidentally driving an auto Mustang the car before and being pretty unimpressed (might have been the 2.3l turbo version). An old XJ still had it despite needing a lot of TLC and some brand new Mini Clubman Cooper S were a real buzz (not as good a 'go-kart' feel as the originals though)

There was one car that I would have happily driven off with and it was a humble 1.4tsi auto mk 7 Golf hatchback. I had driven a few other golf (including GTI) but for some reason this one stood out as exceptional. Couldn't hear the engine, the gear changes were non perceptible (seriously, I had just driven the Tesla S 20 minutes before) and it handled the urban bumps like a magic carpet so obviously something either wrong or very right with it. I think I must have been  pre-programmed by our Octavia but it really was another level experience for some reason.

The casual driving job ended when Covid arrived but it has left me with a dilemma as to what will eventually replace our current 2014 'goldilocks' Octavia estate. Probably an EV but preferably not a Musk thing, or Chinese, all of which severely limits my choices here in Australia. Might have to do my own EV conversion?

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

A V8 manual Mustang totally seduced me after coincidentally driving an auto Mustang the car before and being pretty unimpressed (might have been the 2.3l turbo version).

I've always lusted after a V8 Mustang, but I suspect the wide open spaces of Adelaide might be a better place to drive one than London. 

10 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Folding umbrellas have never lasted long with me, especially when there is wind with the rain. I prefer to carry a more durable smaller golf umbrella and they last for years.

I can relate to your search for the perfect car.

I had a casual job at our airport for a few months where I was able to drive a lot of different, and many expensive cars over admittedly short distances (about 8km) so it was a bit like speed-dating (or what I would imagine speed-dating to be like).

I developed a real dislike of X5s and Toyota Land Cruisers. I found that Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo's were largely overrated and really not good idea in an urban environment and a real pain to park.  Audi A8 were raved over by my colleagues but maybe they raised my expectations too high as it did not hit my button nor did the modified AMG G-Wagon.

The Tesla S was much more pleasant than I expected but even I got range anxiety driving the thing as there was only 20km range on the thing when it was left with us and I was relieved to plug it in a soon as I could. 

So what worked for me? Amongst the larger SUV I liked Land Rover Discovery 4's over the Range Rovers and later Land Rovers which I found to be relatively anodyne although very competent. The real surprise was a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk (6.3 litre V8 supercharged) which had wonderful driving feedback and ride but drank like a sailor on shore leave even at a steady 60kmh.

A V8 manual Mustang totally seduced me after coincidentally driving an auto Mustang the car before and being pretty unimpressed (might have been the 2.3l turbo version). An old XJ still had it despite needing a lot of TLC and some brand new Mini Clubman Cooper S were a real buzz (not as good a 'go-kart' feel as the originals though)

There was one car that I would have happily driven off with and it was a humble 1.4tsi auto mk 7 Golf hatchback. I had driven a few other golf (including GTI) but for some reason this one stood out as exceptional. Couldn't hear the engine, the gear changes were non perceptible (seriously, I had just driven the Tesla S 20 minutes before) and it handled the urban bumps like a magic carpet so obviously something either wrong or very right with it. I think I must have been  pre-programmed by our Octavia but it really was another level experience for some reason.

The casual driving job ended when Covid arrived but it has left me with a dilemma as to what will eventually replace our current 2014 'goldilocks' Octavia estate. Probably an EV but preferably not a Musk thing, or Chinese, all of which severely limits my choices here in Australia. Might have to do my own EV conversion?

Interestingly, I also have a Seat Leon (read Golf!), which is a great little car. My missus has a Land Rover Discovery, 66k miles, just broke it's crank. £10k repair. Common problem. Never, ever buy a Disco. See https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/535/903/886/land-rover-sdv6-amp-tdv6-crank-failure/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, YTT said:

Interestingly, I also have a Seat Leon (read Golf!), which is a great little car. My missus has a Land Rover Discovery, 66k miles, just broke it's crank. £10k repair. Common problem. Never, ever buy a Disco. See https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/535/903/886/land-rover-sdv6-amp-tdv6-crank-failure/

Yeh, unfortunately I think everyone knows their reputation but still enjoyed driving the '4' though compared to the other equivalent expensive 'thoroughbreds' I drove.

Same thing with the Jeep Cherokee Grande. Awful reputation for reliability but a surprisingly good drive, although that is just my opinion.

44 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I've always lusted after a V8 Mustang, but I suspect the wide open spaces of Adelaide might be a better place to drive one than London. 

I'm not sure my V8 seduction would have survived a long term relationship, as I mentioned the drive with a lesser engine made the other issues with the car were all too apparent.

Being a fuel miser I would have cried everytime I filled it up.

14 hours ago, YTT said:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's just the one umbrella, then. I'll buy a second one, but not for the £25+ everyone seems to want. I'll check the dimensions and buy something similar that will fit, for a tenner!

Spend thousands on a car and get cheap over a 25 pound umbrella.... The mind boggles 😵💫

My 21 car had none and no removable light in the boot either I just ordered them from a dealer. 

1 hour ago, j caff said:

Spend thousands on a car and get cheap over a 25 pound umbrella.... The mind boggles 😵💫

My 21 car had none and no removable light in the boot either I just ordered them from a dealer. 

As Fencer said, it's the principle. I've never even used them, but if the hole is there, I'll fill it.....! I get riled by the fact that dealers bang on about their 100+ point pre-delivery check, their great quality, how the customer is so important. Then miss something simple and take forever to correct it. At the handover, I had the usual 'rate our service' type questionnaire thrust at me, which I was encouraged to complete promptly. I never do, I wait because sure as eggs is eggs there'll be post sale issues and I know that once the money has left my bank the service levels will plummet.

8 hours ago, freelunch said:

That’s exactly what Prykey, the first owner of our 280 bought and they still has 3 years on; he’s covered a massive 12k! 😂

And in other news, on the umbrella front, Prykey confirmed our 2016 car came with two brollies and we use them all the time. Incidentally, the very best brollies are from the MKI, which were huge, beautifully made and very, very strong…. shame ours was nicked by someone at a Skoda dealer whilst it was being serviced; it was probably given to a new purchaser!  They promised a replacement which never materialised. 

2 hours ago, numskull said:

shame ours was nicked by someone at a Skoda dealer whilst it was being serviced; it was probably given to a new purchaser!  They promised a replacement which never materialised. 

Well, if your car came from Marshall's in Croydon, I've got your umbrella! 😁

• Haha 1