Basic led headlights signal bulb replacement

Hello everybody!

I wish to change the headlights signal bulb on my mk4 with LED. 

Except that the socket to change the bulb is molded from the factory.  In this case, how can you change the halogen bulb if it burns out or if you want to replace it with LED one.  I should cut or drill the headlight.

It is a shame for Skoda to make such a headlight.  Without access to the light bulb, but not even to put the LED on if there is no access

Any tips?

I got the rubber caps for the headlight turn signal, after that I cut the cap and finally I see the light bulb.. But the space there is extremelly narrow and you cannot put more than one finger in there. I've failed to get out the bulb.... it has a strange socket.

To be continued.....

20221220_144151.jpg

20221220_144159.jpg

20221220_181824.jpg

• Groan 1

14 hours ago, BannedHost said:

I've failed to get out the bulb.... it has a strange socket.

I suppose you already saw the Service Manual instructions for the turn-signal bulb replacement.
The official procedure is indeed a nightmare - one has to remove the front bumper, to extract the headlight in order to replace the light bulb.
Have a look at the last screenshot - maybe it helps you understand how the bulb socket is fitted.

Good luck! (I hope you'll solve it without removing the front bumper!)

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 09.33.02.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 09.35.18.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 09.36.12.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 09.36.53.png

• Thanks 1
  • Crying 1

Thanks a lot!

The information in the service manual is a little wrong.  The bulb socket must be rotated 45 degrees counterclockwise and then it can be removed with ease.  I had to dismantle the inner fender mudguard only in the front part so that I could detach the bumper from the side clamps (I didn't take it off completely), only to have some space to detach the headlight and then I realized how it was the mechanism.  Before I kept pulling the socket as the manual says without success.

20221221_143323.jpg

20221221_151504.jpg

Don't have a Mk4 Octy myself (Only a Mk3) but I am reading this thread and also baffled by the decisions regarding the indicator bulbs.
They are also sealed in on the Mk3 and need (Officially anyway) a bumper and light unit removal, along with a "repair kit" to patch the hole you cut out.
What is the average lifetime of an indicator bulb anyway?
Are they expected to last the lifetime of the vehicle?
Just seems odd that Skoda's seem to have sealed in indicator bulbs but they can be relatively more easily replaced on all the other cars I've owned in the past.

• Like 1

How can manufactures get away with this? A replacement bulb will be a few pound to buy, yet with a ludicrous amount of labour time to fit it; no doubt the overall bill would be over £100.

Doesn’t fit well with the UK Right to Repair legislation.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sneal said:

Doesn’t fit well with the UK Right to Repair legislation.

The UK Right To Repair Regulations say:

The ‘right to repair’ provides ‘professional repairers’ with access to spare parts and technical information

but says nothing about the difficulty of the repair or provides for owners to make repairs. So as long as Skoda place the information on how to change the indicator bulb in the public domain they are compliant.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The UK Right To Repair Regulations say:

but says nothing about the difficulty of the repair or provides for owners to make repairs. So as long as Skoda place the information on how to change the indicator bulb in the public domain they are compliant.

Thanks, but…

… rats - or some other suitable exclamation! 

• 1 year later...
On 20/12/2022 at 17:53, BannedHost said:

Ho preso i cappucci di gomma per l'indicatore di direzione dei fari, poi ho tagliato il cappuccio e finalmente vedo la lampadina.. Ma lo spazio lì è estremamente stretto e non puoi metterci più di un dito. Non sono riuscito a estrarre la lampadina.... ha uno strano portalampada.

Continua.....

Hi, sorry if I reopen this thread.

I'm not sure if the cap needs to be cut or rotated clockwise.

I used a tool trying to grab the plastic end, but it won't turn.  In fact it breaks. Thanks to anyone who wants to help me.

10 minutes ago, mangio85 said:

Hi, sorry if I reopen this thread.

I'm not sure if the cap needs to be cut or rotated clockwise.

I used a tool trying to grab the plastic end, but it won't turn.  In fact it breaks. Thanks to anyone who wants to help me.

Hello. The caps need to be cut to get to the bulbs.

2 minutes ago, mangio85 said:

Thank you so much.  Do you think I can do it without remove the entire headlight?

seeing the halogen lamp annoying me.

You don't have space to remove the bulb  without removing the whole headlight. I allready tried everything and the only solution was to remove the whole headlight...

• Crying 1