Octavia 1.5 tsi stage 2

Eds_v

Hi all. 

I have a Octavia MK4 1.5 tsi.

150hp is starting to become not enough :D

so idea was to get chip-tuning to Stage 2.

Which should give around +40 hp and +68nm.

But I have few concerns and questions. And was hoping to get answers here.

Q.1. does the stock engine, transmission and other parts keep up and with stage2 ? Will it endure the power increase?

Does the stock engine and other parts are suitable for Stage2 ? Or other modifications are needed as well?

Q.2. is this modification traceable? despite the fact I will put the original (stock) ECU back later on?

Many thanks in advance.

There are  few types of chip tuning.

Stage 1, which is something around +25hp.

Stage 2, which is something around +40hp.

Probably there are also next steps as well, but for sure complex upgrades will be needed.

Welcome to the forum.

?

Which country are you in, and if the UK where about?

?

Are you OK having a 1.5TSI and no Manufacturers Warranty covering the engine or gearbox?

?

Do you own the car and it is not leased or on finance so owned by others?

YES TRACEABLE. 

& Non Factory approved Engine Management or Hardware. Also you need to declare with your insurance so any Loss Adjuster working for a Warranty Provider / VW Group can easily check the insurance cover. 

First find a remapper / tuner that will take you to Stage 1, and then maybe they can up it to Stage 2 if needs must.

Let us know who you find please. 

There is a thread this week in the Octavia Mk4 section on remapping a 1.5 TSI. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/509579-re-map

Edited by toot

@toot 

Hi. The place has been found. 

Although they say that everything will be fine and nothing will broke in certain time...I'm a bit concerned if the stock engine will be capable to handle new power and wanted to double-check with someone who has gone through.

Also I was interested if those changes (Remapping) are traceable

as example. 

I do Remapping on Stage1. and before visiting the dealer do Remapping back to stock.

What do you have a manual or a DSG & what did they say about the gearbox.  Do they remap the DSG if you have one?

?

Why are you worry about being traceable?

If the engine goes pop, or you are in an accident and the car is recovered from the scene the map is there to be discovered.

Otherwise the counts can be read on the ECU.

If you have a Warranty claim then you had voided the Manufacturers Warranty so pay up and do not make a fraudulent claim.

If someone else owns the car and you void the warranty you can be paying up if they want or lose money.

Lease Companies and Finance providers are not stupid. 

Screenshot 2023-01-11 7.24.20 AM.png

Edited by toot

On 09/01/2023 at 20:24, Eds_v said:

There are  few types of chip tuning.

Stage 1, which is something around +25hp.

Stage 2, which is something around +40hp.

Probably there are also next steps as well, but for sure complex upgrades will be needed.

OK, so what "stage" is a generic map on a 1.9 Pompe Duse, which takes it from 130bhp to 180bhp (+50)?

Warranty discussions aside, stage 2 is generally considered for cars that have modified breathing. That's intakes and exhaust. You can also do other stuff like intercooler. I would suggest not to tune a car to that level with no other mods. You will probably need to service it more regularly too. If it were me I would do a flush service (oil change then run it for a couple of days) before doing another. Then check all faults and change as many filters as you can get to before doing any mapping.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2023 at 20:04, Eds_v said:

Hi all. 

I have a Octavia MK4 1.5 tsi.

150hp is starting to become not enough :D

so idea was to get chip-tuning to Stage 2.

Which should give around +40 hp and +68nm.

But I have few concerns and questions. And was hoping to get answers here.

Q.1. does the stock engine, transmission and other parts keep up and with stage2 ? Will it endure the power increase?

Does the stock engine and other parts are suitable for Stage2 ? Or other modifications are needed as well?

Q.2. is this modification traceable? despite the fact I will put the original (stock) ECU back later on?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello! :)

There's a saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch." and it's very true.

Sorry to get all dry and boring about it, but it's probably worth putting in some real thought to this issue.

Firstly, I suggest you want to have a bit of a think as to what the problem that you're trying to solve is.

Respectfully, "150hp is starting to become not enough :D" is pretty vague, especially when you are talking about making a fairly substantial increase to your car's power.

Secondly, as @MarkyG82 indicates, the "stages" of tuning a car are not simply remap to stage 1, remap to stage 2, remap to stage 3, remap to stage 4.

Stage 1 is the cheapo "easy" option where you simply get a remap which gives a turbocharged car a bit of extra oomph with the penalty being increased wear and fuel consumption and depending on the map, some longevity issues. Some people also add a high flow air filter as part of the stage 1 remap.

Stage 2 normally involves improving the air intake (induction kit), and improving the exhaust air flow. The cost is a fair bit more and there is no hiding a stage 2 remap from all but the most clueless observer. The trade-off costs of increased fuel consumption, increased wear and reduced reliability increase.

It might also be worth considering changes to suspension and brakes, which will be set up for 150ps, though depending on how you drive, those changes may not be necessary.

Which brings me back to my original point, which is to answer the question "What is the problem you want to solve?".

Edited by EnterName

Hello.  Answering to question. What is the problem to solve... I have lack of power in my opinion. And there are options out there, to increase it.

But in the same time I would like to do it with smallest effort (meaning Remapping only no modification on intace etc). Because car is still on warranty.

So I would remap and then remap back when visiting the dealer.

Concerns was that:

A) would remaping and then remaping back to stock be visible by dealership.

B) does the 1,5 petrol engine can handle the increase. So I would not end up with blown engine or cooling system or something.

In reverse order:

B ) Most maps from a reputable tuner will be fine with low gains. You should be aware that even a basic remap will give you loads of extra power and torque in the lower revs where you need it most day to day. It's about the area under the curve and not the peak power.

A ) Yes. Any map will be recognised by the dealer. Definitely if they look for it in the diagnostic and likely if they test drive it.

If you are at all concerned about voiding the warranty, don't change anything. Cosmetic stuff is likely ok but you won't get any warranty cover for anything that relates to that part. Think window tint. They will not warrant a window motor for example.

It's likely that if you remap it and have a fault anywhere they will do their best to get out of it. Door rattle? "The map made you drive faster than the car was designed for and applied unplanned forces to the chassis" would be their answer.

If you want a bit more response from the car why not think about a pedal box? Makes enough difference for most people.

Do a search for dtuk pedal box. As these car accelerators are controlled by electronics instead of a physical cable you can alter the signal by having a type of box installed between the pedal and the car. It gives the ability to tune the response of the accelerator. The most notable benefit is reducing the lag in the input. This is the thing most people fit them for.  

Your gear changes with the DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG are fine are they not, so why would you want the pedal box?    Fill the tank with super unleaded and put the shifter in S if you want to hold the gears longer and if you keep the accelerator to the floor it will do 130 mph.    If you change this car for a faster one you could accelerate quicker. 

Edited by toot

@tootI think you are missing the point of a pedal box. Yes it can help with a sluggish change or response but it really does do more than that. I wouldn't drive a VAG regularly without one.

My local dealer didn't worry about it for any warranty stuff. It's essentially doing the same as your right foot (for most of us) but it how the signal is applied that changes the feel.

• Thanks 1

I know exactly what it does. I have a wee bit of experience and knowledge.

It still leaves a 150 ps car which is actually the Minimum power not the max in ideal conditions on 95 ron, and not the max on a higher octane. 

Your local dealer or the master tech or techs are not paying for warranty work.

If anyone owns a car then do what they want fitting Non Factory Approved Hardware or Engine Management, if they do not own it then ask the owners if it is OK to modify.

Non of it is difficult.  You buy the bits, have them fitted, and if any problems pay to fix them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toot said:

I know exactly what it does. I have a wee bit of experience and knowledge.

As I expected. Not a lot round here you don't have a little experience in.

Your initial comment was a little misleading based on the original discussion. That's all. No disrespect intended.

On 20/01/2023 at 12:56, Eds_v said:

Hello.  Answering to question. What is the problem to solve... I have lack of power in my opinion. And there are options out there, to increase it.

But in the same time I would like to do it with smallest effort (meaning Remapping only no modification on intace etc). Because car is still on warranty.

So I would remap and then remap back when visiting the dealer.

Concerns was that:

A) would remaping and then remaping back to stock be visible by dealership.

B) does the 1,5 petrol engine can handle the increase. So I would not end up with blown engine or cooling system or something.

I realise "What is the problem you are trying to solve?" might sound like a patronising question, but it really isn't meant as such. (It's a useful question.)

From your original question when you were talking about a stage 2 remap, it seemed like you're not really sure about remapping your car.

Personally, I think a remap isn't right for you at this time, if you're worried about your warranty. (Not that Skoda have an exemplary record of honouring warranty claims, even if you have a genuine claim on an unmodified car.)

That said, have a shop around the different tuners and talk to them to see what they suggest. Don't be tempted to go for the biggest claimed power increase for the lowest price,

There are some useful links for tuners in this thread. (It's not a thread about the 1.5 engine, but the tuner links are still useful.)