Picking up a bike, 1st time?

ColinD

• Administrators

Just shy of the magic 50, I've been seriously thinking about bikes.

Mostly for local a to b stuff...

Thing is I always avoided as I figured I'd kill myself.  I'm half hoping I may of calmed down just enough to only bad mess myself up... although now I guess it's the other folk that will get me.

So, I was seriously thinking of an ev bike, zero kind of thing, nothing bonkers. Enough to get me 20miles out to the peak for a walk... I can't see myself doing a Charlie Boordman and riding for months into the desert. Although it might be fun. :shudder:.  Nor I suspect going out on the sunday to the pub with a group. If it's good enough to do that I'd likely be hanging of a rock somewhere.

Any suggestions, or advice for a total novice on a powered bike...

walk/run away?

Edited by ColinD
  • Love it! 1

I did my CBT in the 90's, my intention was to get a bike with paniers for rapid response service calls to my maintenance contract customers in London as it was taking me hours sitting in traffic jams otherwise.

2 things happened which changed my mind and I never did the part 2 or whatever it was to gain the bike licence.

The first was I impatiently changed lanes in a traffic queue which would have gained me maybe a couple of car lengths only to lose them a minute later, I had checked my mirrors but clearly not well enough through my impatience, I vey nearly wiped out a motorcyclist doing exactly what I wanted to ride a bike for, my young ego considered myself to be the best driver in the world, if I could make a mistake like that then every other driver on the road could do the same to me.

The 2nd thing which really shook me was my instructor who was the safest and most sensible biker I had ever known (hence why he was a trainer) was killed outright on a test ride from an open day of a local motorcycle dealer, the accident was not his fault, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, maybe going too fast who knows but he would not have been reckless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• Administrators

… and there’s that.

a tin box does provide some crash protection. 

maybe it’s more a romantic connection to the freedom, or immersion in the environment. Feeling every flying insect.

maybe I’ll watch some rider cam videos and scare myself out of it.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Watch me riding a push bike with only one leg.

That is often enough to make people re-think getting a solo motorbike.

I have been to quite a few bikers funerals over the years.

It used to be visits to the hospital but these days it is fatalities not just life changing injuries.

http://deboys.co.uk

The young chef that worked @ Turnberry is doing rather well. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Motorbikes are so much better today.

All registered in the last few years have ABC.

Tyres are massively better. Forty years ago we were putting 100 hp through 4 and half inch tyres.

My 70 hp Tracer 700 now use a tyre over 6 inches at the rear and the compound is so much better.

About three quarters of bike accidents are cars pulling out from the minor road in to the path of the bike on the main road.

Always assume car, van, truck might pull out.

Bikes are so much fun.   I think the Tracer can be A2 restricted and then derestricted.   My Yamaha R3 was also a gas. Thinking of adding an Enfield Hunter.  Less than £4k, 100 mpg and the essential of motorcycling.

2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Price, Specs, Top Speed & Mileage in India

R3 - motos - Yamaha Motor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably worth having a couple of refresher lessons just to get a feel for it again if it's been that long. At the same time bit of saddle time on the learner bike will give you a bit of an idea of what you want in your own bike.

Also, I've only ridden one Zero, and it was pretty bonkers 🤣 

If you're not bothered about going "fast fast", there's plenty of good stuff about in A2 format. You mentioned getting up into the peaks with it. If you're think crap roads rather than full on green Laning, something like the Honda CB500X might be worth a look. 

Don't get hung up on what everyone says is the "best brand", just go with what feels right to you. Personally, I like Honda's. Bit boring, but they're set out in a way that works for me, and they're reliable. I'd say unless you fall in love with something else in particular, start your search with Japanese stuff. Sensibly priced, reliable, not finicky or expensive when you need to do some work.

If that doesn't appeal, Royal Enfield are doing some really nice stuff in A2 with a rough road focus. 

• Like 1

This is pure class, @ColinD coming over to the right side at last! The zero option does look interesting to me and I'd like to try one and will likely get one to have, mainly for the gadgety side, but I want another big bike first. That said I awoke my current bike from the winter Baltic weather there today and took it out for a spin and being over 6 food on a bright green bike with a full torso high vis on I was totally invisible to one road user who decided to change lanes suddenly in town without indicating or even looking, very last second... No baffles in either so also deaf. My only concern with EV bikes is the near silence side, I'd expect to experience that so much more, inc from pedestrians and tbh that gives me the chills a bit. I'd always suggest going down the normal sort of first bike route just to gain the experience and confidence, learn a few lessons and make a few mistakes on something like @StevesTruck's great call with the CB500X. A perfect first bike or anyone's commuter type bike. Really are the AK47 of bikes in reliability and even with lack of care mpg would be easily over 70 average I'd say too. I stepped back a bit with my current and least powerful bike ever, another popular to new riders too wanting a first big bike an ER6F (reliable, frugal and cheap). For a bit more pure style there are the likes of Husqvarna Vitpilen/Svartpilen 401's beautiful bikes even the 701 would be good (would require a full licence just I think), they are a bit pricier but come with a lot more stuff. Once time to start spending Saturdays in bike shops throwing your leg over stuff to see what fits you best. For any lessons etc, all proper instructors will provide gear to wear, but not a bad thing to commit and get your own stuff. Nothing against instructors, but a proper fitting lid of the best quality you can afford is a no brainer. 

On 18/01/2023 at 19:19, ColinD said:

I'd have to do the cbt to get to a2???  I have a UK full obtained in the 90's :) but never did anythign on two wheels when it was 'easier'.

If you haven't looked too in depth the licencing rules had a massive change in 2013 and I would think for even A2, you'd require more than just CBT if you've not passed a motorcycle test before. That only gets you a 'p' (max 50cc, up to 31mph) and or 'AM'  category 2/3wheeled vehicles (up to 28mph). After that A1/A2/A = CBT + Theory & Hazard Perception + Mod1(off road (low and high speed manoeuvres) test + Mod2 (on road practical) test. By simply undertaking tests on a larger bike you'd get a full category A then be able to have it forever and not need to go back if wanting something a little more in future. Realistically, the more training & testing the better before hitting the road in the long run. The pre1997 car licences were savaged ten years ago clearing a lot of things up: https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-can-drive/

Full details here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1087046/ins57p-information-on-driving-licences.pdf

Edited by FUBAR

11 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

For a bit more pure style there are the likes of Husqvarna Vitpilen/Svartpilen 401's beautiful bikes even the 701 would be good (would require a full licence just I think), they are a bit pricier but come with a lot more stuff. 

Yes, a 701, if you could find one, would require a full licence.  They've stopped selling 701's, at least in the UK.  Shame as I quite fancy one.  I think the full licence is the way to go.  I see far too many mature people doing their CBT and saying they're just 

going to get a wee 125 to begin on.  I always suggest they should do Direct Access and then get at least a 500 cc bike.   I do think that you want decent tyres, brakes, suspension and at least 50 bhp to keep yourself out of the gutter and out of trouble on today's

roads.  For me, it's analogous to buying a cheap guitar to learn on.  You're more likely to put yourself off.  

Having said that, yes I am an old hooligan and passed my test in '75 on a Ducati 250cc single which I'd bought a couple of months before.   These days, there's a tuned BMW R1200GS LC and a tuned BMW G650 X-Country in the garage.

Actually, I think the X-Country could be the perfect beginner's bike, again, if you could find one.  There are only 84 of them recorded by DVLA.  However at only 150 kg with 53 bhp and 60 Nm it'll zip up to c 100 mph and return 60-70 mpg depending on

how you ride it.  Its soft, long-travel suspension is perfect for the state of our roads.  You can ride over speed humps, if you must, with impunity.  It reminds me of a quick, two wheeled 2CV in that respect. They only sold them here for three years, '07-'09 which

partly explains their rarity.  They do occasionally come up for sale, between £3.5k and £4.5k for a very good one. 

This is mine....

IMG_4579 2.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily say don't go down the 125cc route, just be a bit aware of the differences.

CBT, you can be on in a day, virtually guaranteed, for a relatively small sum. Full licence, you're looking at a week or two, and probably spending a grand or so. But if you're doing your full licence, day one will be the same as doing your CBT anyway, so you've still had that learning experience. There's no harm in doing your CBT to get a feel for it then deciding where to go next.

Legally, there's stuff you can't do with just a CBT. It's that 125 restriction, L plates, no passenger, no motorways.

The bike - depends a bit, but you'll be able to do most/all speed limits. Some are more basic, some do ride well (thinking of the r125). But, I'll be the one that admits it, 125's are harder to ride than bigger bikes. You've got to keep them in their powerband, slip the clutch more, and you haven't always got the braking and handling. They're not as planted on the road as a bigger bike. Flip side is, if you do drop it doing a bit of pottering around on rough roads, you'll be able to pick it up easily.

I've had a couple of people who ride 125's try my bike and they've always said the same two things:

It's heavy (but my bike is really heavy).

It's really easy to ride compared to theirs. 

Horses for courses. Some of my best rides, that I've truly enjoyed most, since I got back on have been pottering around the back lanes on a 125, taking it all in. But, would I get on a 125 and do 100 miles each way up to the peaks because I wake up and want to? There's certainly people who do, and fair play to them.