Configurator.......missing Canton

wardth

Currently running a fully specced MY17 245 - full leccy alcantara, Canton etc, Quite fancy a MKIV, but struggling to spec one up. No Canton option. £1700 (gulp) for the leccy alcantara seats and when adding that option, you cant add heated screen or wheel, but they don't seem to be included in the seat option. It might not sound much of a dealbreaker, but the Canton IS better than the standard system and I spend a lot of time in the car, so its a must have for me.

Tried speaking to Skoda UK online and that was a waste of time - they told me to speak to a dealer, but my nearest is Chichester........

I've just come out of a MY17 VRS with Canton, to a MY22 VRS without it, if you play about with the settings the standard system is not bad, certainly better than a MK3 with the standard system (my brother had one),  I'm not saying it's as good as a MKIV with Canton, because I've not heard one, but it might not be as bad as you think?

Only one way to know for sure, try to get a chance to listen to them back to back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wardth said:

they told me to speak to a dealer, but my nearest is Chichester

There are new inventions, called "telephone" and "e-mail" ;) that let you communicate at a distance from your own home or workplace...

• Like 1

Tried speaking to Skoda UK online and that was a waste of time - they told me to speak to a dealer, but my nearest is Chichester........

I've heard of people placing their car keys inside a Faraday pouch to stop transmitting signals, but this is the first I've heard of someone placing a whole dealership in one.  🤣

• Haha 2

Canton been out for a long time now. They claim it's cause of chip shortages, and at the moment this option is only available for Superb and Kodiaq.

Question is, if this will be leased/company car, or are you buying as private person. If the latter one, than just replace the speakers and add some amp. Will cost similar or a bit more than Canton, but will sound better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

There are new inventions, called "telephone" and "e-mail" ;) that let you communicate at a distance from your own home or workplace...

Been away from the forums for a couple of years and always found the members incredibly helpful. but I wasn't expecting the smart-arse responses on my first post for a while. Some people just can't keep their trap's shut and scroll on past.........

Edited by wardth
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, vfrguy said:

I've just come out of a MY17 VRS with Canton, to a MY22 VRS without it, if you play about with the settings the standard system is not bad, certainly better than a MK3 with the standard system (my brother had one),  I'm not saying it's as good as a MKIV with Canton, because I've not heard one, but it might not be as bad as you think?

Only one way to know for sure, try to get a chance to listen to them back to back.

I've heard the MKIV Canton, and thought it sounded pretty sensible, but not heard a standard setup as yet. Next on my list, however I think I probably wouldnt buy the vehicle without being able to spec Canton again as it was quite a big improvement over the standard MK3 system. Not "wow, amazing", but enough to make it worthwhile.

I have the Canton sound system in my Octavia MKIV VRS iV and to be honest am not impressed with it. The subwoofer in the boot is a joke and you can't hear it. The sound in my old MK 3 was far superior in my opinion.

John

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 20:06, Felix2021 said:

Canton been out for a long time now. They claim it's cause of chip shortages, and at the moment this option is only available for Superb and Kodiaq.

Question is, if this will be leased/company car, or are you buying as private person. If the latter one, than just replace the speakers and add some amp. Will cost similar or a bit more than Canton, but will sound better.

I get what you are saying, but the thing is I don't want to tear apart my new car - did this previously and no matter how well it goes back together (and I am anal about my work), it just promotes future rattles. Also an aftermarket amp and speakers wont offer the "air" of the Canton additional dash speakers and equalisation. I'm not a bass freak and the Canton in my MKIII sounds gorgeous because I've spent a while making sure the settings are )just so(. People tend to overdrive the sub and then complain when it doesn't perform like a 10" in a box 🤷‍♂️. Skoda are going to lose a sale as this will (would), have been my vehicle for the next six years. 

Well, answering point by point:

I don't want to tear apart my new car

Can understand that.

did this previously and no matter how well it goes back together (and I am anal about my work), it just promotes future rattles

I did this to my O4 and it's better, than it was before my work. You're only doing door trim more or less, and by dampening the doors and adding some acoustic foam it will get more quiet. Not only audio is better, but less rattles and less noise inside overall.

Also an aftermarket amp and speakers wont offer the "air" of the Canton additional dash speakers and equalisation.

Disagree with that.

Haven't heard O4 Canton, but have heard Karoq Canton. Just replacing the speakers, still using factory amp built in the head unit, brought the air and very good sound stage.

Adding amp with DSP (Axton A592DSP in my case, but may well be something else) gives you much better control than Canton DSP (31 band EQ, time allignment, phase etc.). And it improves things even further.

Also center speaker is there, just haven't replaced it, and it's still powered by HU. But i would remove it, if it wasn't needed for some things, like SOS. It's doesn't really bring any added value to the sound quality.

I'm not a bass freak

Me neither and i don't like subs in general. And in Canton (or any VAG "premium" system) subs are needed. I got very good bass, with very good control and extension without a sub, by replacing the speakers and amp. For me it's much, MUCH better than what i've heard in Karoq Canton or had in Ateca Beats Sound System with subs.

Canton in my MKIII sounds gorgeous because I've spent a while making sure the settings are )just so

Not arguing with that :)

Just saying similar or better result can be achieved in other ways, bringing additional benefits like less road noise (i was actually surprised to see how much tyre and suspension noise is coming through the doors - it's much more quiet now).

But i understand you might not want to do that. With my 2 previous cars i also didn't touch it. Now done it in O4 and... kind of regret i haven't done it earlier :)

But that's just my point of view :)

I wanted to add, that "fortunately we have a choice", but seems like Skoda deprived us of at least one option to chose from 😞

Edited by Felix2021

On 23/01/2023 at 15:09, weehappypixie said:

I have the Canton sound system in my Octavia MKIV VRS iV and to be honest am not impressed with it. The subwoofer in the boot is a joke and you can't hear it. The sound in my old MK 3 was far superior in my opinion.

John

I agree with this one. Coming from MQB platform (2017 Golf with Dynaudio), this MQBevo (Octavia 2021 with Canton) is not even close as good as old one.