Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

44 minutes ago, tommy142 said:

Could this really last life of the car?

Yes of course, but that would be heavily dependent on what you consider a reasonable lifetime for a car.

Some wouldn't think beyond ten years, some would think 100000 miles is the beginning of the end.

Others like me are happy driving around in a twenty year old car with 170k on it.

How long do you intend having the car?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My karoq is 5 years old this year  so decided to find out when I need the Cam belt changing, I phoned DH keiths in leeds and was told skoda have amended the belt to no longer needing changing, ever. Great news as mine is the expensive one. 

Could this really last life of the car?

Although.....   With a little used car the belt can still perish, as can the tyres and the bushes etc. - that's what I was told anyway. Sometimes ultra low use can be worse than "average" use for that kind of thing unless its in a heated and humidity controlled garage.

• 4 months later...

See my recent post --- On my Karoq SE-Technology 1.5 Auto/Petrol the replacement cambelt life has now been revised to .... 15 years or 180k miles.

I stress it's my model and engine number that qualifies so check with Skoda UK for clarification before spending somewhere between £750 and £1,200.

• Like 1

If my Karoq lives as long as 15 years, I can't see me ever changing the belt; I'll just make sure that I've got good breakdown/recovery insurance, and run the car until it drops.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sussamb said:

I agree ... no point paying for something that might never happen

What, like good breakdown/recovery insurance or house insurance or extended car warranty.  Isn't that the point of insurance* - you are paying to protect you against something that is unlikely to ever happen but just in case it does you are paying to reduce the cost should the worst occur - or did you simply mean that you agree about not bothering to get the cambelt done?

*the exception being car insurance which is a legal requirement and not optional

Edited by smipx

I should have added that my thinking was that, at 15 years old, the cost of a cam-belt change would be more than the car was worth.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 16:48, smipx said:

With a little used car the belt can still perish, as can the tyres and the bushes etc. - that's what I was told anyway.

I was told that there was a Tooth Fairy but I dont pass that on as authoritative on social media.

Rubber compounds on pre 90's vehicles did perish gradually but when was the last time in 30 years that you have replaced all the radiator and heater hoses, door and window seals etc or even considered doing so as a preventative measure?

However buy any re manufactured rubber component for a classic car and if it hasn't already self composted by the time you get around to fitting it it soon will.

Thz factory fitted (not OE, nor OEM they are not necessarily the same thing) cambelt, tensioner, pulley bearings, water-pump etc are the best ones your vehicle will ever see and will likely have had a far longer life than anything you consider replacing them with.

Regular inspection and common sense is the best approach.

Karoq 1.5 TSI booked in for 5 year cam-belt change, car left at dealer. Two days later get a message that the cam-belt change is not required due to change in the Guidance removing the 5 year interval. It is now 15 years or 180k miles.
I asked for copy of the change and they gave me the attached document for my records. Collected car, no work and no bill.

Cam Belt Guidance change.pdf

• Like 3