(If) your patience for waiting on your mk.4 order is running out.. What do you look at?

Hypothetically as is presently..  If you draw a line under your mk.4 order, cancelling as no ETA given from dealer.  What are you going to consider in place of the Octavia?

Specifically for myself, its a company car order: Octavia Estate iV SEL trim.

Personnel criteria in order or priority being: (1) Plug-in  (2) Estate

I'm in the same position.

Company car order with currently no production or delivery date.

I have spoken to the lease company about alternatives but there is nothing out there. The only option given was a Corolla Estate which was showing April delivery.

All other similar cars are experiencing the same production delays - BMW 330E, Seat/Cupra Leon, Superb iV.

I’m seriously considering cancelling now (SE Tech IV estate, plus ACC and winter pack ordered Oct 2021 on a PCH) so this is a very hot topic in my mind. My current lease has been extended until May but I don’t want to extend again.

The absolute must have requirements are a comfortable estate or big-booted SUV, with room and USBs for tall teenage kids and a dog in the back, and heated seats and steering wheel (I live in northern Scotland and work a lot of early starts!)

The in-stock availability for PCH I’ve seen, together with my other equipment preferences, seems to narrow me down to a choice of Seat Leon estate, Hyundai Tucson, or Nissan Qashqai. None appeals particularly, though none would be that bad I’m sure. Even at that I’d be c£50/m more than for the Octavia, and with no PHEV I’d likely be paying more for fuel than I’ve been expecting too.

The ideal car would be a Volvo V60 or V90, or various EVs like Enyaq, Ioniq 5 or Model Y. But I can’t see my way into one of these at reasonable money no matter how I finance it. Frustrating, but a choice needs making very soon!

With SUVs you need to consider much higher fuel consumption. If that's not an issue Tucson may be a good choice.

As for Leon - don't do it to yourself. Used to drive 2014 Leon FR. All in all was a nice car, but had few essential issues for me. Stiff suspension, not at all comfy (i know it's FR and Xcelence is a bit softer, but still nothing like O4), a LOT of tire noise, even at 50kph, and low driving position (it was nice when driving, but nightmare when getting in or out).

Drove new Leon, and all of those issues are still there + a new one. Don't know what they did, but driving position is strange. I couldn't find a position in which my back would not hurt. Never seen anything like that in any other car, including previous Leon.

Good point re SUV MPG, hadn’t thought much about that. Currently averaging low-mid 40s from 1.4tsi Passat estate, which I consider reasonable. My last petrol car before that was a 1.6 Ecoboost Ford Mondeo, which was a lovely car but only gave about 33-34MPG. I’d hate to go back down to those kind of numbers.

re Leon thanks for the info, I guess I’d have to try and have a test drive. Model being considered is an FR Sport, which may well prove a little hard-riding!

What do other people have on their shortlists?

Just for comparison, before O4 i had Seat Ateca 1.5 TSI DSG, so exactly same drive (except for mHEV, which i have in O4). On average Ateca consumed 30% more fuel. For example highway, 140kph is 6,5 l/100km in O4 and 8,5-9 in Ateca. It's mostly about aerodynamics.

As for Leon, FR would definitely be hard-ride. I was in love of the handling for first year of ownership. Next three years i was stressed when a saw i pothole...

Given how many boxes O4 ticked for me, choice is hard. I would probably consider Corolla estate. Don't like the looks of it, but it's a good car in general. Was also considering CLA Merc. Loved the looks of it, and it's also really nice car. Thing is, that it's MAYBE 5% better, but 50% more expensive. And less spacious inside.

As an out of interest exercise I got a price (only from local dealer) for the Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer plug-in hybrid for a three year / 20,000 annual / full service & tyres contract (So as to compare apples for apples with my mk.4 order).

The Astra price some +£175 excl VAT monthly....  So thats +£6,300 excl VAT over the contract period.

No thanks.

Edited by whereismyorder
  • Like 1

This was my debate when waiting on mine - could I cancel and get something else. Issue was lead times on other cars become horrible as well, and for them I'd be at the back of the queue. Only option was to buy any dealer stock you could get. 

I do wonder, on a 3 year lease, when I should order the replacement- 12months doesn't seem enough now! 

I’ve spent much of today fielding calls from lease companies I asked for quotes from over the weekend. Current best offer is a Qashqai Tekna 1.3 manual for £350/m, six months down, 12000 miles. Leon FR Sport estate, 1.5 150, £357.  One guy, told I wasn’t going to go above that monthly payment level, said “I’ve got a Superb SE TECH DSG that’s really cheap. Just £420 a month.” 😩

Spoke to VWFS Drive to chase my order and see what else they could offer me. They’re going to quote me on a Tiguan 1.5 DSG R-Line Edition, which would be decent, if the sums work. We’ll see!

Literally just e mailed my company car scheme to ask if I can have a look at alternative options as I’m fed up of waiting now. 

Ordered a VRS phev Estate in September 2021 and am still sat here waiting for it. I too need a bigger car as have two young kids, but my problem is my company car scheme is so restrictive and also the last time I looked at the list everything had gone up in price so much since I ordered the VRS. I suspect I’ll just have to sit and wait even longer unfortunately. 

Skoda have been absolutely shocking through all of this. I understand the issues they’ve faced / are facing but the lack of communication is so bad. 

• Like 1

While waiting I was looking for something conceptually similar to O4 in size / performance. 

The closest I could come up was with new Honda Civic with it's quite impressive hybrid power unit. Took it for couple test drives and absolutely enjoyed it. 

The reason why I didn't cancel and take it was much worse financing at that time and the fact that unlike Skoda where you can build your own car to specs, Honda only offers 3 trim levels. And with that I could not get the right mix&match to my needs.

On 30/01/2023 at 16:54, Tain76 said:

I’ve spent much of today fielding calls from lease companies I asked for quotes from over the weekend. Current best offer is a Qashqai Tekna 1.3 manual for £350/m, six months down, 12000 miles. Leon FR Sport estate, 1.5 150, £357.  One guy, told I wasn’t going to go above that monthly payment level, said “I’ve got a Superb SE TECH DSG that’s really cheap. Just £420 a month.” 😩

Spoke to VWFS Drive to chase my order and see what else they could offer me. They’re going to quote me on a Tiguan 1.5 DSG R-Line Edition, which would be decent, if the sums work. We’ll see!

Yeah, going with the Tiguan, should be here in the summer. It’ll do the job I’m sure, but while I’m relieved to have got it sorted out, it’s really annoying to have to settle for a car I didn’t really want at a price much higher than I’d been prepared for.

That said, not having to deal with the Octy’s infotainment foibles will be of some comfort 😆

?

How much more for a lease of a car you can maybe get compared to one you can not get?  For those getting cars for business use, BIK!

If you do not need or want one then don't get one.

The issue is those wanting a Skoda Octavia Mk4 iV. 

People would get it if they can, but when production is suspended they can not get new, so the boot size is might be bigger, but you will have the size of boot of the car you are having to extend your lease on.

Edited by toot
  • Confused 1

I also have one on order ,  since Oct 21... and have also been looking for alternatives .

Don't do Seat phev , they are in the same boat as its all the same stuff.. one of our guys had one on order from Oct 21 and cancelled it last month as no build date etc , he managed to get a built Tuscon phev for a similar price but his quotes are on 20k miles a year , mine are on 30k so I cant get one in budget , my current Kia Sportage is now 4 yrs old with 120k miles , its showing it..

Current lease for the Skoda is  3 up front , £30k miles over 3 yrs on an IV se tech with winter pack , ACC and metallic @£345 plus vat , the Tuscon came in at £460 😢

• 1 month later...

Today - made seriuos enquires about both the Citroen C5X and the Peugeot 408 plug-in hybrid versions of both.

Looked over the C5X in a local showroom yesterday, certainly a worthwhile option in place of a never to be delivered Octavia Estate SEL iV.