Extended warranty for Karoq

Toolie

I was told by my local dealer that the Skoda extended warranty no longer requires an inspection to be carried out before the end of the normal warranty period.

The extended warranty can only be taken out after the normal warranty has expired.

I was told to wait 48 hours after the end of normal warranty, to ensure that my vehicle was 'off the system'.

Obviously this would leave a period of time when there is no warranty on the vehicle.

Has anyone been told this?

Inspection: All I can say is they didn't inspect my old car when I extended the warranty. I was under the impression an inspection was only mentioned for the  All In One plan?

Again the All In One Plan can only be taken out when the current warranty has expired. If you're just buying a warranty, Skoda were keen to take my money before the std warranty had expired.

Are you sure you're not being sold the All In One plan rather than just extending the warranty?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Inspection: All I can say is they didn't inspect my old car when I extended the warranty. I was under the impression an inspection was only mentioned for the  All In One plan?

Again the All In One Plan can only be taken out when the current warranty has expired. If you're just buying a warranty, Skoda were keen to take my money before the std warranty had expired.

Are you sure you're not being sold the All In One plan rather than just extending the warranty?

Both were mentioned, so I'm not sure which one the dealer might be referring to.

I will follow it up.

Thanks

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

6 of the most expensive words in car ownership!! Read the relevant insurance contract properly for yourself.

😀👍

I have extended warranty to 5 years which I paid for when I bought the car. I am unaware of any need to have the car inspected at the end of the original three years. 

I have a PSA car. You can take out an extended warranty after 3 years, and every year until the mileage reaches 100,000 miles. But you must take out the extended warranty BEFORE the previous warranty expires. Jut be careful.

When you buy an extended warranty to have 4 or 5 years before the car is First Registered in the UK it does not require an inspection @ 3 years.

Not in any T&C's.

You have the servicing to the manufacturers guidelines, recommendations or even schedule or specifications, depending on the wording in your warranty booklet / policy.

• 4 months later...

Just noticed that the All In One policy can now be used for cars upto 6 years old, so for folks who want to extend from 5 years to effectively 7 years warranty they can do so at a cost of £35 per month.

Includes                        RRP                                                                                                                                                        Service Plan
2x Services                                                                                                                                                                      £490    Included
Additional Service Items (Spark Plugs, Diesel Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter and Air Filter)    Petrol £170 / Diesel £125    Included
2x MOTs                                                                                                                                                                    £109.70    Included
2 years’ Roadside Assistance                                                                                                                                      £198    Included
Up to 2 years’ Warranty                                                                                                                                            £580†    Complimentary

Total cost                                                                                                                                       Petrol £1,547.70 / Diesel £1,502.70    £840 / £35 per month

Total saving compared to RRP        £707.70†

†Saving based on differential between cost of All-in plan with national pay as you go RRP pricing for servicing, MOT and Roadside Assistance. Complimentary Warranty value is based on the average 2 year cost of Extended Warranty policies (with All Component Cover, unlimited mileage, and £0 excess) sold Jan to Sep 2022 for Škoda vehicles aged 3 to 6 years, with a 2.0L engine or less, and that have not been out of warranty for more than 30 days. Actual saving will be dependent on your vehicle.

Mind you the savings you get are not what they might be as many get Roadside assistance for Free with Bank Account.

The MOT actual cost is more like £70 for two if you say use Halfords. I.e. £35 a year.

Also there service plans are cheaper at £225 to do a full service including a Brake Fluid Change while I have to pay an extra £75 for the Brake fluid at the dealer.

So the Skoda cost of £420 a year if you subtract the service costs of Halfords is effectively paying £197.50 a year for the Warranty which is perhaps not too bad...

Anyway just for folks like me that did the All In One a couple of years ago and might want to extend Warranty and fix their service costs for another couple of years?

As an aside, I was given a 24 month warranty when we bought in April but no related paperwork or booklets other than a policy certificate which shows little more than dates, registration and a breakdown contact number.

For the sake of a couple of months I kept on my existing breakdown cover which is up for renewal in a few weeks so have been trying hard to establish exactly what’s covered by the warranty and more particularly the associated breakdown cover. But how much trouble is it for the dealer to supply?? Have emailed several times, been told “admin will respond” nothing follows, chased again “admin aware but working by herself and dealing with end of the month sales business” Frustrating.

Edited by BTandSid

5 hours ago, BTandSid said:

As an aside, I was given a 24 month warranty when we bought in April but no related paperwork or booklets other than a policy certificate which shows little more than dates, registration and a breakdown contact number.

For the sake of a couple of months I kept on my existing breakdown cover which is up for renewal in a few weeks so have been trying hard to establish exactly what’s covered by the warranty and more particularly the associated breakdown cover. But how much trouble is it for the dealer to supply?? Have emailed several times, been told “admin will respond” nothing follows, chased again “admin aware but working by herself and dealing with end of the month sales business” Frustrating.

If you google "Skoda extended warranty",  it returns:  Extended warranty booklet

If you google  "Skoda breakdown", it returns: Breakdown cover

Download the appropriate booklet from each website if you want a detailed answer.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

@Toolie Sometimes people forget what a warranty is, it is form of insurance.

The fact that it is pushed for sale is because it makes good profit for the seller.  In other words the premiums far exceed the payouts.

You will know how well you have maintained your vehicle, if you have never abused it, stretched service intervals, skimped on replacing parts with advisories etc then you are at much lower risk of failures and breakdowns.   

But there is no risk assessment  (unlike car insurance) where your premium is lower, it's flat fee, so if you have maintained it properly then subsidising those who don't.  And of course on average your claim will be less than premium (because part of the premium covers providers costs and admin)

You need to decide if you want to pay for peace of mind for rare big claims, whilst knowing statistically premiums will be more than ever likely to claim back on average.  On average will save by not taking it out.

• Love it! 1

6 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

If you google "Skoda extended warranty",  it returns:  Extended warranty booklet

Download the appropriate booklet from each website if you want a detailed answer.

Thank you, I’ll try and print off details as I’m not sure the dealers are going to get around to this in the next fortnight 🤔

32 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

@Toolie Sometimes people forget what a warranty is, it is form of insurance.

The fact that it is pushed for sale is because it makes good profit for the seller.  In other words the premiums far exceed the payouts.

You will know how well you have maintained your vehicle, if you have never abused it, stretched service intervals, skimped on replacing parts with advisories etc then you are at much lower risk of failures and breakdowns.   

But there is no risk assessment  (unlike car insurance) where your premium is lower, it's flat fee, so if you have maintained it properly then subsidising those who don't.  And of course on average your claim will be less than premium (because part of the premium covers providers costs and admin)

You need to decide if you want to pay for peace of mind for rare big claims, whilst knowing statistically premiums will be more than ever likely to claim back on average.  On average will save by not taking it out.

When we bought, the dealer said there was a 12 month warranty included. He then said they couldn’t offer the p/ex price I was pushing for so instead put their figure through on the paperwork and gave us the second twelve months ‘for free’. So I effectively gained something extra by way of the p/ex. 

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Yep all good points and normally I avoid Warrantys like the plague. Maybe because I am getting older, maybe because I switched to DSG and I have read too many horror stories that I think the loss of £200 a year might be worth the gamble.

A month to decide....

Some models engines are having some more concerned and some DSG,s if you have a keeper.

So a 1.5 TSI ACT, or a DQ200 DSG or a DQ381 DSG might have owners considering the chance of these failing.

An Extended Warranty on the early 1.5 TSI ACT,s is really a no brainer.

Also on a DQ381 on any engine / vehicle. 

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2023 at 02:02, kodiaqsportline said:

Downloaded both items, thank you.

Coincidentally heard back from dealers who have sent a single page in respect of the warranty, basically giving dates, policy number, but no detail as to what is actually covered.

As for the breakdown service, I’ve been in regular contact with the sales guy who’s in turn been told by his Admin team they cannot let me have any details due to ‘data protection implications’  😂😂 Have you ever heard anything so absurd?  Do Skoda Assistance work undercover, turn up in unmarked vehicles so no one knows who they are and what they’re about?  So without anything from the dealers I can only assume I’m entitled to the breakdown cover detailed in that booklet. Needless to say I’ve lodged a complaint with the manager at the dealership as there’s a couple of other small issues that have cropped up since we bought that could have been dealt with better by the ‘back room’ teams. I may get a reply 🤞

Data protection 😂😂

Edited by BTandSid

Data Protection! Who's data are they protecting giving out information on what's covered under breakdown warranty? It's not specific to you nor your car, it's a general query.

It's too stupid a reply for me to believe that was their response to your question. Sounds more like there's been a complete misunderstanding.  What exactly did you ask them?

6 hours ago, BTandSid said:

So without anything from the dealers I can only assume I’m entitled to the breakdown cover detailed in that booklet.

Did they not supply you with a breakdown cover booklet with your car? Every car I've ever bought comes with some sort of handover pack.

20230701_185151[1].jpg

When I bought the car all I received was the owners manual (inside the similar folder to the one you’ve shown) together with a sheet confirming there was a warranty in place. I was promised that full details of the warranty as well as the breakdown cover would follow and I assumed these would take the form of the booklets you kindly ‘linked’ in your earlier post. My contact at the dealers has been the salesman we’ve been dealing with from the outset and he’s referred our enquiries and subsequent chasing on to his admin team. It’s someone in that team that has come up with the ridiculous statement about data protection. 
I’ve emailed the manager about this issue, and a couple of other matters, and hope he’ll respond