EFB battery change

Hey,

I’ve literally just ordered a new Varta 096EFB battery for my Skoda Rapid 2017. Since then I’ve read I need to code the new battery. Is this the case? 

also where are the radio codes stored without there being a physical manual? 

many thanks, 

Conal 

If you are taking out an EFB and fitting an EFB, then no.

If you are changing from AGM to EFB (or vice versa) then yes.

If the Ah rating is very close (like 2Ah difference) then you are "close enough" not to worry.

The radio code is for older radios, the new one's have the VIN embedded and this is what you car checks on startup, if it matches it works.  If VIN doesn't match you get Component Protection.

• Like 1

Hey, thank you so much for your response! I’m switching like for like! Surprised by the cost of a battery from Euro Car Parts… I’ve gone with Tayna an online supplier. Their prices are excellent. 

That’s smart, I didn’t know that about the radio. 

Thanks again! 
Conal 

• Like 1

The car will light up like Xmas tree, various warnings.  Normally turn wheel full lock left/right and it goes away, as it needs to know end points for steering rack.  You shouldn't have any big issues with the swap really, other than the hefty weight.

Best if you can do a nice long run for an hour if possible to give the battery a nice solid start in life.  Better still if you have a battery charger and give it a charge before fitting as I did to my 096 AGM, but no worry if not.

• Like 2

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Conal, have a read your Owner's Manual for 'Disconnect/reconnect and change' of the car battery, if you keep the windows up before disconnecting the existing battery you'll only need to reset the time of day clock.

As has been put, personally I'd fully charge the new battery with an appropriate battery charger before fitting to the car.

If you have access to a suitable scanner then 'coding' the new battery and clearing any error codes the existing battery has caused means you start with a clean slate sooner but if not the like-for-like new battery swap and a little bit of driving will sort things anyway.

Check any info instructions that come in the Tayna packaging.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

It's my understanding that the charging system adjusts (don't ask me how, just Google it!) as the battery ages and degrades. If you fit a new battery without telling the car, it will continue to charge as if it were the old, degraded battery. The new battery will work, but its lifespan will likely be reduced. 

"Recoding" just means changing the battery part number, so the car knows you've changed it, but you do need vcds or similar to do this, as I did on my 2014 Toledo. 

HTH. 

Martin 

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Martin, see  varooom's guides here for info, the first paragraphs explain it and if you're interested there are links to more information.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/508877-vcdsodis-how-to-adapt-a-new-battery/